Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle United (16/10/2022)

Disco

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I think Wilson and Sancho both dived and shouldn't have got the pen.

Ronaldo's was the pen. Trippier just bundled him over as he was about to shoot from a few yards out.

Froggy mate, take a day off man. From what I remember you're actually quite a nice person in real life. Divven't spoil it. [emoji38]

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You really going to say that after there was a Newcastle player on the deck every 5 minutes trying to disrupt the game? :lol: You have a long way to go.

The closest precedent to it I could find is the Zaire player in the World Cup booting the ball away before Scotland got to take the kick. A staple of bloopers tapes until people started to wonder if laughing at underdeveloped footballing nations for not knowing the rules was a bit rum. 

Here's the Fred chance. I thought it looked well off in real time, but the commentators seemed more interested in having a go at Pope.

Man U get 0.4 xG for a chance that would not have stood as a goal, but I'll take that so long as Schar didn't injury himself in challenging Fred.

offside.thumb.jpg.c36f9451343740e9d55ccdcebdbb6c8c.jpg

For what it's worth I thought we actually played quite well yesterday. We're a million times fitter than we were under Ole and Rangnick. Very few teams are going to have the intensity and workrate of Newcastle. If we play like that against bottom half teams we'll blow them away.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

For what it's worth I thought we actually played quite well yesterday. We're a million times fitter than we were under Ole and Rangnick. Very few teams are going to have the intensity and workrate of Newcastle. If we play like that against bottom half teams we'll blow them away.

You looked much better in the second half. Would probably have won it if Eriksen had been involved in that half. 

26 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You really going to say that after there was a Newcastle player on the deck every 5 minutes trying to disrupt the game? :lol: You have a long way to go.

We usually do this quite a lot but the majority of times we had players down yesterday they’d taken a fair whack. 

Bruno Fernandes doing a Yohan Cabaye and trying to break someone’s ankle then immediately apologising. He makes someone like Zaha look relatively sedate with his whinging. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One of those where I reckon you should be able to give the pen but still book Sancho for the theatrics.

Think that would be a serious improvement for the game.

9 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

You looked much better in the second half. Would probably have won it if Eriksen had been involved in that half. 

Eriksen to Fred is a huge downgrade obviously but Eriksen often looks out on his feet after 60/70 mins as well. There's a fair chance he'd have been subbed for Fred if he had started, especially in a game as physically demanding as this one.

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Yeh Man utd’s ability to pass through our press was actually quite good. We lost our shape and midfield solidarity when Bruno went off. 

It was later on as we tired. Earlier on we won loads of ball as they couldn't get through.

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

or we could have if Maxi or Isak were involved.

Wor lot, including the Man U loving nephew and the Mother-in-law, were all "if" this and "if" that so I said.. 

"my old Nanna used to say 'if, ifs and buts were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers'" 

Everyone, bar none, stared at me blankly

Thought ours was about as clear cut a penalty as it gets, Wilson was cleaned out by Varane. How it wasn't given beggars belief. Sancho's was a pen too and I think he would have got it had he not massively oversold his dying swan act.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Incidentally the amount of people on tik tok and YouTube trying to claim that the world is against them is class. :lol: Apparently Ronaldo's 6 meters offside goal and him kicking away our free kick should have stood, they should have had a pen, the ref was against them, and Tifo have anti-Man United bias. There's no supporter group in the country that's more populated by overgrown entitled bairns than Man United's.

Would be interesting to see Froggy's patter if we were superior to Man Utd for a sustained period of time. 

Never finished above them once since the PL began (the only team we haven't finished above)

4 minutes ago, Sima said:

Would be interesting to see Froggy's patter if we were superior to Man Utd for a sustained period of time. 

You wouldn't need to worry about me. It's the change in you lot that would be frightening. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Incidentally the amount of people on tik tok and YouTube trying to claim that the world is against them is class. :lol: Apparently Ronaldo's 6 meters offside goal and him kicking away our free kick should have stood, they should have had a pen, the ref was against them, and Tifo have anti-Man United bias. There's no supporter group in the country that's more populated by overgrown entitled bairns than Man United's.

Oooh I dont know. Liverpool ?

Edited by madras

12 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Thought it was weird how we tired in the second half. I wondered if Howe had told players to conserve energy for the run of games (coupled with us having a thin squad) but he mentioned there's been some illness in the team so maybe it was that. 

We play a high intensity, pressure game which takes its toll, especially as we don't have a squad yet capable of doing it for a full 90 against the better teams.