Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle United (16/10/2022)

Disco

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I think the Wilson one is more of a pen but both can easily be given. I think that they didn't give the Sancho one because they didn't give the Wilson one and tried to be consistent, which is a rare thing at Old Trafford especially for us. When looking back at highlights from previous seasons at this fixture, the one we didn't get in 2004 on Shearer, man. :lol: Ref come out in front of the cameras and apologised it was that bad.

Have refs not been told to give nowt if the player fouled goes down theatrically,after slight contact has been made?

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I thought that as well, but then I have been defending Willock for some time as I think he gets underrated quite a bit because his shooting has gone to shit. Longstaff puts in a good shift, but he's noticeably one of those who gives the ball away regularly, there's a clear drop in quality with some of our fringe players.

Longstaff seems to play at his own pace,unfortunately !!! He’s nee Pirlo who also played at his own pace.

Ref had already blown his whistle before he’d put it in the net anyway so I don’t know what they expected him to do. 

Glad it didn’t count as couldn’t cope with all the ‘Ronaldo showing 9000 level IQ tweets’. 

I was pretty glad he started over Rashford as we seemed to catch him offside all day.

18 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He went for a ‘worldy’ from a position where we could possibly have scored and won the game.

I don't think you're going for a worldie with the instep of your right foot when the goal is to your right like. Unless we're talking about different times. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, nufcjb said:

I was hoping we would finish the match the more stronger since they played Thursday but tutns out we had illness in the camp so no wonder they finished the match better.

Illness in our camp too. 

It was both of them and I think he said the full weekend.

Chapman mentioned that the Man City disallowed goal would have been disallowed for kicking the ball out of Allison's hands if it hadn't been for the shirt pull, so that would have one upped it if it had happened.

Banter aside, I can't believe there's any debate at all about the Wilson shout, like. Yet another utterly staggering decision against us against an ESL team and another perfect example of the presence of VAR influencing the game in an entirely negative fashion (either that or Jared Gillett is just on some mission to get demoted back to the A-League). If Pawson relies on his instinct and nothing else, there's no way he doesn't give that, imo. Instead he lingers on the doubt he (somehow) accumulated and waits for VAR to make the call. It was an absolutely incredible decision imo, the defender is a country mile away from the ball. 

Naturally it was evened-out by an almost-equally terrible decision (Longstaff on Sancho). But of course if we're already 1-0 up it's an entirely different game at that point and who knows what happens. 

Maddening.

Not saying this is necessarily the right interpretation of the laws, but I think the Wilson pen wasn't given because he'd lost possession of the ball and didn't look like recovering it. Another defender had come across.

I don't think the law is clear, but most refs don't give pens in that situation.

Longstaff's wasn't given I think because he had started withdrawing his leg just before the contact. There wasn't enough force there to bring Sancho down or even stumble.