Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

I think it was definitely more than that, Steele had a horrific day. 5 was very excessive.

4C13A35C-9C4E-49A4-AC8C-9B20B8DDCDD9.jpeg

xG as per doesn't tell the full story. It doesn't account for Everton's game plan or Brighton looking leggy.

Just now, The Prophet said:

xG as per doesn't tell the full story. It doesn't account for Everton's game plan or Brighton looking leggy.

The five goals stat similarly doesn’t tell the story that Steele couldn’t save a pdf file that day. It accounts for the chances which is a fairer reflection. 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Of course false positions exist after 36 games, Pardew's 5th place and Bruce's midtable season are perfect examples. I would say Brighton are pretty much on the same level as us for now, but that probably won't be the case in near future due to the difference in spending power.

If a game of football can be won by a terrible refereeing decision or massively against the run of play then false positions can exist at any point.

'evens itself out over the season' is a nice mantra but illogical and unscientific.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Or there is this. You’ll rarely see a game where 5 shots on target results in five goals. 

52C15F19-2784-4D02-9EE0-EC64581C3815.png

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Don't get me wrong xG is a useful tool, I just think it needs to be viewed in conjunction with other factors.

6 minutes ago, midds said:

Brighton currently doing the team that did us last week. Not massively encouraging viewing I must admit :lol:

Yeah but we could have early beat Arsenal. They scored two soft goals and we didn't take our chances.  I am confident we'll turn it on against Brighton.

Arsenal got a deflected goal through a defenders legs and an own goal that Schar couldn't have done much about. This performance from them is about on the level as it was vs us, they just not getting the whistle blown every 2 seconds in their favour and the score is equal to the performance for a change. Yes I'm still bitter :lol: