Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Man City taking the title. 
joke of a fan base man. 

Fickle lot. I almost switched to supporting Newcastle when George Hannah got that third goal at Wembley in '55. 

I actually think they have a good core of a fan base by people who supported them pre-takeover.

If we become successful under our owners, we’d face the same problems, a large amount of ‘new fans’ who only support us because of success.

Even Spurs are suffering a similar fate, because despite their lack of success, Levy has somehow managed to turn them into a brand.

I felt a bit sorry for Arsenal, who deserve more from this season. Yesterday's game ended in some humiliation really. Their football is great to watch, although I wonder no whether it's a bit too off the cuff to survive a long campaign.

Much depends now on whether City get hauled in over FFP. The gap they've created between themselves and the rest seems to be growing. That's not just between them and the Premiership, but between them and Europe's elite as well.

20 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I felt a bit sorry for Arsenal, who deserve more from this season. Yesterday's game ended in some humiliation really. Their football is great to watch, although I wonder no whether it's a bit too off the cuff to survive a long campaign.

Much depends now on whether City get hauled in over FFP. The gap they've created between themselves and the rest seems to be growing. That's not just between them and the Premiership, but between them and Europe's elite as well.

It is a bit unfair to dump on Arsenal considering City just blow everyone else out of the water by hoovering up the best players across the world. Not sure Arsenal's form has even fallen off that much, just City are winning just about every game like they seem to in the run in every season.

37 minutes ago, TRon said:

It is a bit unfair to dump on Arsenal considering City just blow everyone else out of the water by hoovering up the best players across the world. Not sure Arsenal's form has even fallen off that much, just City are winning just about every game like they seem to in the run in every season.

Their form has definitely fallen off

43 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agree. Their form has fallen off but they are 12 points better off than last year's total with two games to go. It's been a big year for them, they are just living in an era of an absolute juggernaut in Man City.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Their form has definitely fallen off

Arsenal play a bit of a knife-edge game, demanding a lot of confidence and precision. Their attacks have an air of improvisation about them, and they need to be at their peak to bring it off. It's felt like that little bit of pressure has derailed them.

City can be not at their peak, but it's still difficult to score against them, or even get the ball off them.

I'm exaggerating to make a point, but I can see the same thing happening unless City are brought into line by FFP.

Their play is very structured. Not ‘off the cuff’ at all. 

Their form second half of the season has been patchy. If they get 87 points you can’t criticise them too much. That is a big total.  Considering they got 50 points in the first 19 games any less than 85 points total is a big drop.  

Arsenal have done really well IMO. It's a bit mad to hear a lot of people criticise them. They've pushed City almost all of the way.

Their team is really young as well:

Ramsdale (25)

White (25)

Saliba (22)

Gabriel (25)

Zinchenko (26)

Partey (29)

Xhaka (30)

Odegaard (24)

Saka (21)

Martinelli (21)

Jesus (26)

Got to be one of the youngest in the league.

They've played almost a quarter of the season with Nketiah as their striker and surely their little dip can be directly attributed to Saliba getting injured as much as anything else? Zinchenko was obviously a miss against West Ham and yesterday, too.

I don't like the way they go on and I really don't like the way Arteta goes on, but they've been fantastic. Easily the best side I've seen at SJP this season, City included.

All about context isn't it? If Arsenal had had a late push and were behind Man City throughout, it's a remarkable season where they've pushed them all the way, similar to Liverpool's 97 point season. 

Totally different story and feel about it when you're 8 points clear with 10 games to go and end up 7 points behind 8 games later.

Edited by Kid Icarus

46 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Howay Leicester, sort yourselves out tonight

They will be out of the bottom 3 if they win so hopefully that's incentive enough. Their defence is shocking though so they'll need to score a few.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Are City really ‘hoovering up the best players across the world’? They’ve got a great squad and have strength in depth but there’s plenty of great players to go around and lots of other teams have spent a lot of money. Are we ignoring the ‘Pep effect’ here?