Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

On 14/05/2023 at 21:56, 54 said:

@Village Idiot How big of a deal is it that you're winning the title at Espanyol? Is it as big as if we where to win the title at the Stadium of Light? 

Or is it not that fierce a rivalry, and winning the title at Madrid would be a much more sought after feat.

Did you see the pitch invasion? Of course it was. Probably most of our more, ahem, global fans won't care, but at the local level it is very much alive. We all have friends, family, or workmates that are Espanyol fans, and football banter is an indelible part of those relationships. That said, it's not helped by the fact Espanyol have been so historically shit for decades now. When I was a kid they were always an upper midtable team with top6 aspirations and that made the rivalry much more competitive. But they are still very capable of playing spoiler (the Tamudazo!) and they are always pumped up for that.

Rivalry with Real Madrid has always been higher though, even when I was young. Espanyol do have an issue that many of their newer fans are actually local Real Madrid fans that have Espanyol as their second team (old school Espanyol fans don't give a fuck about RM). I think that may hurt the club in the long term.

Edited by Village Idiot

10 hours ago, Nobody said:

Did I hear correctly that Luton Town were in a League Cup final in 1988 (or something similar)? Seems crazy that they've been in a major final in my life time like. 

And the year before, Coventry won the FA Cup in one of the most entertaining (for a neutral) cup finals ever.

Edited by brummie

11 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Real Madrid playing like an old dog that needs to be put down. They need a lot of work in the summer to replace all the old fogeys. 

They looked better with Camavinga in midfield. Tchoumeni will need to step up next season.

Benzema will be the hardest to replace.

Quite happy to see Coventry or Luton in the prem. Be great to see what either team can do with their onus money. I hope they don't do a forest and gamble, but keep the recruitment low, invest all their new found riches into their stadium, and be fit for decades to come. Coventry to fuck Ashley off and build their own stadium would be fantastic...Luton getting a much needed redevelopment or brand new great for them also...however you can't help but think Coventry fans have been through the ringer and deserve it a bit more. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They looked better with Camavinga in midfield. Tchoumeni will need to step up next season.

Benzema will be the hardest to replace.

Talk of Tchoumeni being sold on when/if they get Bellingham, isn’t there?