Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tbh I think the Conference League might even end up being more meaningful than the Europa League, certainly if all of its main contenders continue to be otherwise unfavoured teams with largely empty trophy cabinets. I love the Europa League but even that gets routinely won by teams who'd arguably swap basic attendance in the Champions League for that piece of silverware. 

https://twitter.com/millar_colin/status/1666553842933149697?s=46&t=yPbd9G8BOq0rWw0jv09aDg

I caveat this by saying I'm a late-30s, bitter, cunt who drinks a pint if cynicism for breakfast, but genuinely dont want any other club from this country other than my own to do well [emoji38]

I think you'll get a good bit of variety with the Conference League over the coming years because it'll be the usual suspects qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League and so giving more teams, most importantly different teams, access to European competition can only be healthy. 

Just now, toon25 said:

I caveat this by saying I'm a late-30s, bitter, cunt who drinks a pint if cynicism for breakfast, but genuinely dont want any other club from this country other than my own to do well [emoji38]

This is where I’m at. Unashamedly

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

What national team do you support? 

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Same, but I’ve always been that way. I was devastated when Milan blew that lead to Liverpool 

Can't stand the likes of City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea in Europe and actively want them to lose, but it's hard not to get behind a club like West Ham; they're similar in stature to us, similar fanbases... Pleased for them tbh. 

6 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It doesn't change. I'm 56.

14 minutes ago, number37 said:

I think you'll get a good bit of variety with the Conference League over the coming years because it'll be the usual suspects qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League and so giving more teams, most importantly different teams, access to European competition can only be healthy. 

I'm pleased Villa got in. The club and fans will love it. A bit different for Spurs when they've been used to going pretty deep in the CL for 10 years. 

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tbh I think the Conference League might even end up being more meaningful than the Europa League, certainly if all of its main contenders continue to be otherwise unfavoured teams with largely empty trophy cabinets. I love the Europa League but even that gets routinely won by teams who'd arguably swap basic attendance in the Champions League for that piece of silverware. 

I agree, although I think it may become English dominated to the point it may lose some lustre. Villa or Juve should win it next year, Juve only in due to their points deduction. Typically the English team will be the favourite for every game they play including the final. 

7th in the Prem Will pretty much always be better than the respective side in the other league.

Good for West Ham to win it early! 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm pleased Villa got in. The club and fans will love it. A bit different for Spurs when they've been used to going pretty deep in the CL for 10 years. 

Yeah, that's a good point. I think if you're used to Champions League then you're going to regard it as a bit of a drop off - with a fair degree of justification but it'll be a cracking adventure if you're not as used to (or jaded by) European football. 

Watched that with my West Ham mate and his family tonight and really pleased for them. I generally want English teams to lose but have no problem with the Hammers, the best fans in London by a distance. The only other clubs I've wanted to win in Europe were Ipswich, Forest and Villa, so felt a bit weird tonight.