Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

31 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Conference over the league cup every single day of the week 

You need to beat top clubs to win the league cup, surely it has more bragging rights.

18 minutes ago, number37 said:

Yeah, that's a good point. I think if you're used to Champions League then you're going to regard it as a bit of a drop off - with a fair degree of justification but it'll be a cracking adventure if you're not as used to (or jaded by) European football. 

Not sure if it'd work, but how about like with the Intertoto Cup you can 'decline' an invitation if you don't want to play in it? Allow it to drop maybe no lower than 10th position, then allow another country an entry if no bugger wants it. 

38 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

In order of winning preference would we agree it's like this

Premier League 

Champions League 

FA Cup

Europa League

League Cup 

Europa Conference 

Champions League = Premier League

Europa League (seeing as it gets some pretty big clubs in there these days)

FA Cup

Europa Conference

League Cup

Edited by Amir_9

47 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Premier League 

Champions League 

FA Cup

Europa League

League Cup 

Europa Conference 

Europeans over domestic cups just because it means you’re in Europe but honestly couldn’t give a shit.

What a weird season West Ham has had :lol: At one point, they looked in real trouble of getting relegated, and I bet a lot of their fans at some point would have said they would have liked to sack off the conference league to focus on the league. Now they ended up winning the whole thing, their first trophy in ages. Kind of feel like they deserve it for sticking with Moyes, becoming less of a fan of teams just sacking their managers hoping for a quick fix. 

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

What a weird season West Ham has had :lol: At one point, they looked in real trouble of getting relegated, and I bet a lot of their fans at some point would have said they would have liked to sack off the conference league to focus on the league. Now they ended up winning the whole thing, their first trophy in ages. Kind of feel like they deserve it for sticking with Moyes, becoming less of a fan of teams just sacking their managers hoping for a quick fix. 

They've literally had the 'would you rather finish 4th and not win a cup, or finish 14th and win something' season. :lol:

Pleased for West Ham, met a fair few of their fans in London and they're generally salt-of-the-earth types who are annoyed at the goings-on at their club 90% of the time with no huge expectations of improvement :lol:

Always saw the parallels with us in that respect, and it's good we've both been allowed to have nice things this season in the end. 

6 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Premier League 

Champions League 

FA Cup

Europa League

League Cup 

Europa Conference 

Nope 

European Cup

Premier League

UEFA Cup

FA Cup

Conference League

League Cup

The traditionalist in me wants to place the FA Cup much higher, but it’s been damaged badly over previous decades. 

I’m astonished by the numbers on here who’d take a PL win over the European Cup.  I would swap five league titles for one European Cup

Edited by TheBrownBottle

They're 8th in Serie A like.

It's a much more interesting cup as it's great to see your side compete against European teams, but the quality of opposition is much worse than you'll see in the League Cup.

The final almost always has a top 4 side in it.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Conference League 100% trumps League Cup for me.  Not sure why beating Fiorentina in a final is less prestigious.  

Tbf Fiorentina finished 8th in Serie A. 

league cup and conference league are about the same level to me.  

Champions league obviously thr pinnacle of European club football.  

I only have Europa above FA Cup because of the CL qualification. 

We play the ‘big boys’ in England twice a season, and it’s a domestic pot.

The only reason the FA Cup registers so high for me is the history and prestige of it - European competitions generally hold greater value.  The UEFA Cup would be the bigger trophy to win - just - but if you ask me on another day I might put it below the FA Cup (though only for emotive reasons).  If I wasn’t an English NUFC supporter, I wonder if I’d actually put it below the Conference League. 

44 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a much more interesting cup as it's great to see your side compete against European teams, but the quality of opposition is much worse than you'll see in the League Cup.

The thing is though, for the top 4/nations in the Conference League, each one of those teams would have qualified for the Europa League a couple of years ago.

Ok both Fiorentina and West Ham have had bad seasons, but that could have happened in the Europa League, in fact it did with Seville this year.

For what it’s worth, unless they get a ban, then Juventus will be in the Conference League next season, hardly a minnow.

Anyone turning their noses up at winning this is mental!

Some of them were arseholes last night but they’re the best fans in London and I know a few so I’m pleased for them! Proper fans like us! 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

For most of the league cup you'll be playing against reserve teams mind

Saw the last 20 minutes and I thought that Fiorentina were terrible. 

I'm pleased for Moyes, who I've always quite liked. He's had a long career and it must feel great to land a trophy at last.

But the Conference is a competition for teams that aren't good enough for the Europa League, and I'm not that bothered about the Europa League, because that's for teams who aren't good enough for the UCL. A lot of trips to the far-flung outposts of Europe which detract from your domestic form. I'm genuinely dubious about the benefits of qualifying for the other European competitions.

I think the FA Cup has massively declined in prestige in my lifetime, which is a shame. It's not too far off the League Cup in terms of significance these days. Either way, both of those trophies would be at the bottom of the list for me.

CL

PL

EL

ECL

FAC

LC

Premier League = Champions League 

Europa=FA

League Cup = Conference League

In my mind.

Winning the CL without winning the PL with the same squad seems weird and devalues it somehow... just in my mind of course. [emoji38]However winning the PL multiple times and not winning the CL with a certain squad had its own mini asterix.

It's all personal preference TBH. Would shag me dead granny for a League Cup.

Its definitely the Papa Johns of European trophies but it would still be nice to win. Having said that I would like to think our ambition and owners we have now means we wont ever end up in it[emoji38].