Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought Maupay did well for that goal tbf. Sanchez had him pace wise but released it just in time.

Extremely rare to see a keeper who can sprint. Sanchez like the anti-Chris Kirkland there.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought Maupay did well for that goal tbf. Sanchez had him pace wise but released it just in time.

I thought the keeper actually got the touch that went to Mbuemo :lol:

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Even that would be a lot of evolution for them. All of their semi successful managers have been super ‘pragmatic’ and a bit old school in approach. Holloway, Pulis, Pardew, Vieira, Hodgson.  Potter’s style of play would be very different for the club and its fans to handle if it isn’t successful from the jump.  They can be low scoring without the aimless passing in the back line.  

Part of the problem for me is how pragmatic they are for the quality of players they have. They don't even really setup to counter teams properly.

Even someone like O'Neill would have been a good pickup after Bournemouth let him go.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

If you didn't follow transfer news you'd never suspect Chelsea spent hundreds of billions.

I skim read some piece the other day about when Abramovich first came in. Those transfers adjusted for inflation and today’s market are eye watering.

They’ve been spending this kind of dough pretty much every summer since he took over. Now it’s even worse and it’s seemingly at random. 

5 minutes ago, buzz said:

Jackson is so bad :lol:

He really isn't, but should be more of a 2nd choice player as he still needs bringing along.

Only started playing regularly 2nd half of last season at Villarreal, and was more of a winger originally, before getting some games upfront later on.

Only just turned 22 this last summer too.

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Part of the problem for me is how pragmatic they are for the quality of players they have. They don't even really setup to counter teams properly.

Even someone like O'Neill would have been a good pickup after Bournemouth let him go.

Agree with this fully. 

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I skim read some piece the other day about when Abramovich first came in. Those transfers adjusted for inflation and today’s market are eye watering.

They’ve been spending this kind of dough pretty much every summer since he took over. Now it’s even worse and it’s seemingly at random. 

Chelsea didn’t have competition in spending either in PL terms except Man U.  

1 hour ago, NUFCDoog said:

Southampton 2 Birmingham 0 - looking like an inspired decision to sack off Eustace

Yes its a real shame that move isn't working out.

Nearly as much of a shame as it is a surprise.

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s a bit of a contradiction. 

The identity of the club is based on the catchment area (that is fairly unique in comparison to the whole of England) and their youth products.

Their identity is so strong that players that aren’t even from the youth ranks or the catchment area like Eze or Olise are considered typical Palace players. And they field more players from the wider area than any PL club. Not to mention  a lot of the football management people of the club are supporters, played for the club or from the area. 

Their limiting factor is that they are probably too London-centric and insular.  Southgate will be their next manager. It will be boring to watch.  They will have their usual mix of exciting young talent from London and experienced PL players.  

It will be more boring than it should be.  But to say Crystal Palace lack identity or are highly mismanaged - is just not true. You couldn’t name 20 better run clubs in England. 

Great points and you’ve changed my opinion on Palace. They pull in those players due to the appeal of living in the greater London area as a young, wealthy athlete. Good for them, keeps the club operating efficiently, but where is the growth? Suppose it’s better to be efficient and profitable than in a predicament like Everton find themselves in.

Think we have different interpretations of identity or maybe the on/off field identity’s. For me, culture drives identity and they're seemingly more bothered by our ownership than being anything other than a mid table PL club. That’s my personal bias towards them and similar clubs. 

We get branded “deluded Geordies” because we have heightened expectations of the club due to previous successes. I know that bothers some of our fanbase, but I would rather we have that label than be seen as accepting of mediocrity.