Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

23 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

I was a bit gutted Leicester went down initially. Then MoTD reminded me of their fucking goal music. Thoroughly deserved to go down.

I don't care about Leicester, the only reason I wanted them to stay up was so another dinosaur would go down. "I'm so tough I don't need to wear a coat" Sean Dyche. \

Fuck off man, let's see how long they stick with you next season.

19 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Everton have been horrible for a long old time now 

They will be relegated next season.  Put a bet on.

1 hour ago, buzz said:

Yanks taking it well in the replies :lol: Why are they so protective over their shite players? 

In my experience even the most anti-American Americans will suddenly turn into Glenn Beck if someone else dares to criticise something that's American, often even when they agree :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

I reckon Brighton bottom 6 next season and Championship in 3 years. It's almost identical to Southampton. They've hit the jackpot with the players they've brought so far but it just takes one bad summer and you drop half the league. Losing Mac Allister and Caicedo will be too much I think. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Was similar to say Ambrose v Bolton? Great goal but never Goal of the Season. 

He hit top bin 30 yards out from a central position. A perfect combination of arrow and a bit of bend, it stayed pretty much flat for 20 yards or more, hitting it off the deck too. Put the goal another 10 yards back it would have still likely grazed the woodwork as it went in. Ederson may as well have just sat down. It was pretty much perfect execution.  

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

It was a really good goal but like ON says I feel like I've seen plenty similar over the years. Generally GOTS feels a bit more unique, like Wilshire's team goal many years ago, or Giroud's scorpion kick.

If it's a blastie with good technique then I'd expect something special in the buildup, or it to be a volley or something, for it to warrant GOTS. Almiron's is definitely a better goal as there are more elements to it and the finish is more unique and memorable. 

Edited by Interpolic

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Miggy wasnt even in top 3? :lol: Its easily in the top 2. Reiss Nelson's goal shouldnt even be in the list.

Nelson placing highly can only be because of context, because it was a last minute winner at a time when Arsenal appeared to be bottling the league, months before they did actually thoroughly bottle the league.

12 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It was a really good goal but like ON says I feel like I've seen plenty similar over the years. Generally GOTS feels a bit more unique, like Wilshire's team goal many years ago, or Giroud's scorpion kick.

If it's a blastie with good technique then I'd expect something special in the buildup, or it to be a volley or something, for it to warrant GOTS. Almiron's is definitely a better goal as there are more elements to it and the finish is more unique and memorable. 

Not going to disagree with anyone who puts Almiron's ahead and I agree about the play before it being a factor. Like KI mentions for Longstaff's second against Southampton. I just cant ignore the perfection of the strike of the ball for Enciso's. It was the perfect power, from the perfect part of the foot, on the perfect position on the ball. From 30 yards. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

In my experience even the most anti-American Americans will suddenly turn into Glenn Beck if someone else dares to criticise something that's American, often even when they agree :lol:

It’s reflexive :lol: 

11 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I reckon Brighton bottom 6 next season and Championship in 3 years. It's almost identical to Southampton. They've hit the jackpot with the players they've brought so far but it just takes one bad summer and you drop half the league. Losing Mac Allister and Caicedo will be too much I think. 

I don't think they'll do quite that badly, but you are right in that that selling / buying / unearthing gems cycle alone is not a sustainable long term model, it takes one bum crop to blow it up.

Like you said, Southampton were hailed as the incarnation of the 'well run club' not that long ago, but it only lasted as long as Liverpool were happy to buy their best players most years.

Then on top of that they are going to be at risk of losing their manager. They did well replacing Potter, but when you are subject to so much churn in your set up, you're walking a very fine line indeed.

I hope De Zerbi doesn't do something stupid and go and join Spurs now, that would be so depressing for football, but the fact that there's a real risk around that is concerning.

When a club's instinctive thought after a superb season is "Shit, the manager might leave", then you know they're under threat.

It is depressing that football has to be like that, but that's the way it is unfortunately.