Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Moyes is holding West Ham back 

They are having a good season this season, however I really do think he should have left last season when they won the cup. Chances are they are not going to beat that, and sooner or later he will come under pressure as soon as they hit a rough patch, and he will go with his reputation tarnished, only to be recover by the West Ham fans in hindsight further down the line.

4 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Any clown that thinks Ashley is a very good businessman and ran us as a very successful business needs to get in the fucking sea considering how Ashley could have done everything that is happening now.

Instead he relegated us twice.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would go looking for people talking shit about their own club.

All clubs hate all other clubs and they will use whatever flimsy reason to facilitate their hatred.

I was born in Newcastle and supported them my life but to be honest our owners human rights record isn’t flimsy.

39 minutes ago, Mikky said:

The bloke that lays down in a wall - has anyone ever seen that player been hit via a free kick? Don’t think I have…

What makes me laugh is when you see the bloke lying down in League Two and games like that. I think in my life I've only seen Ronaldinho, Messi and De Bruyne actually score under the wall like that. Waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, alexf said:

Why don't West Ham play Kudus? Looked good against us and is highly rated. 

Bowen and Paqueta currently playing in wide positions. Then it's whether you want to change formation or move Paqueta in the middle which hadn't worked.

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I went to a few Villa games years back. It might have been where I was sitting at villa park, or how the team was at the time, but it was always a bit miserable. Lots of silence and complaining - possibly like we were under Ashley tbf.

A fleeting impression from a while ago, but I always preferred going to the Birmingham City games - even though they were pretty poor as a team, I still liked the atmosphere better. Smaller crowds there, but those that went were passionate about it. I got the sense that there was more expectation at Villa and their fans, which might be a wrong impression, but it was mine.

I actually think Birmingham is a great city when you get to know it, but it's not 100% a football city. Ask almost anyone in Newcastle on a Monday and they'll know the weekend's result and usually have an opinion on it. Not the same there at all.

I'm sure the hardcore fans are just as passionate as any other, but I don't think the city's identity is driven as much by the rhythm of football as it is here. Maybe because it's a two team city, but maybe because it's a much bigger place as well.

Yeah, that’s part of it I think. It’s even more than two teams if you factor in the Black Country which is a continuous conurbation with Birmingham and brings in Walsall, West Brom and arguably Wolves.

Might be a combination of geography and culture. Birmingham and the Black Country are very much a collection of towns with separate identities. It has also been significantly more multicultural than most British cities for decades, with a large population from the Indian subcontinent that has historically been separated from football somewhat.

I worked near Aston and briefly shacked up in Erdington. I will always remember one of my staff talking about Villa and marvelling at how highly he thought of them. It was at the Martin O’Neill time - think maybe towards the beginning? This kid clearly thought of them as one of the rightful top two or three teams in England. He was too young for Ron Saunders - maybe he grew up with the Ron Atkinson team? I really had to bite my tongue on more than one occasion - he wasn’t alone. I mean, I do remember the Ron Saunders years but I hadn’t thought of Villa in that absolute top echelon for years and years.

@brummie will be the man to ask.

Edited by leffe186