Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

29 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

He's had an amazing career. One of my favourite ever players to watch, particularly in his early years. Reinvented himself as a footballer on a number of occasions to remain effective. 

Its always weird when a player lasts as long as he has at the top level. The Ajax team he broke through at over 20 years ago feels like it was from a different era of football entirely. He's actually older than all of Sneijder, VdV, Heitinga, Mido, De Jong. He's only slightly younger than the likes of Chivu and Van de Meyde ffs. 

Reminds me that Modric is only a couple of years younger than Iniesta. They feel like players from different generations.

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

He's had an amazing career. One of my favourite ever players to watch, particularly in his early years. Reinvented himself as a footballer on a number of occasions to remain effective. 

Its always weird when a player lasts as long as he has at the top level. The Ajax team he broke through at over 20 years ago feels like it was from a different era of football entirely. He's actually older than all of Sneijder, VdV, Heitinga, Mido, De Jong. He's only slightly younger than the likes of Chivu and Van de Meyde ffs. 

The daft quotes and persona became a little bit tiresome in recent years but I'm still not entirely convinced he isn't willingly taking the piss out of himself.

The Van der Meyde, Van der Vaart and Chivu trio was amazing. My mates and I were so convinced all 3 would end up being world beaters we completely overlooked Ibra at the time.

like wes brown etc he is in an amazing squad that costs billions, Send him to a lower team and see how he does the same with pep he'd never do what howe has done or the Brighton Brentford manager even forest

Edited by astraguy

6 minutes ago, astraguy said:

like wes brown etc he is in an amazing squad that costs billions, Send him to a lower team and see how he does the same with pep he'd never do what howe has done or the Brighton Brentford manager even forest

We on about Stones here?

Pep would be class where ever he goes, in club football atleast. He won  the Spanish second division with a b team. 
He has said at some point in his career he wants to manage Brescia, so we’ll see how he gets on when he goes there.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Stones was bossing it at Everton well before going to City. 

I've never  understood the 'he's good because he's got good players around him' argument. Paraphrasing what astra said there but the reason Stones is playing with those players is because he's good enough himself.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Stones was bossing it at Everton well before going to City. 

Don’t think he was bossing it there at all. He looked promising but had a lot of ricks in him. Like he did for his first few years under Peo.

Just seen on Twitter that Burnley have already returned to training, that must be the longest pre-season ever? Only the 10 and a half weeks. :lol: 

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Just seen on Twitter that Burnley have already returned to training, that must be the longest pre-season ever? Only the 10 and a half weeks. :lol: 

Was just about to post this. So daft. Give the players a break ffs 

1 hour ago, 54 said:

10/15 years ago you could imagine players kicking right off with this. Bet they just go along with it now. Probably end up the norm ridiculously

Good to see this rebuild continuing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65811169

A unified Bury Football Club will return to Gigg Lane next term following a vote to merge with Bury AFC in May.

Members of the original Bury FC and the subsequent fan-run AFC joined together after a previous unsuccessful vote.

The club said that the FA had confirmed the name "Bury Football Club" can be used in competition for the first time since their collapse in August 2019.

"We want to thank all the people and organisations that have made this possible," a club statement said.

The Shakers were expelled from the English Football League in 2019 following financial struggles, with some fans going on to form Bury AFC.

The club plays in the Premier Division of the North West Counties League, the ninth tier of the English football pyramid, and will be known as "Bury" from next season in line with the league's convention.

Bury fans completed a deal to buy back their old Gigg Lane ground in February 2022 while Bury AFC staged their home games a few miles away at Stainton Park, Radcliffe.

An initial vote to merge, held in October 2022, narrowly failed to pass having fallen short of the required threshold but a follow-up vote went through, paving the way for a return to Gigg Lane in time for the 2023-24 season.

The club added that it will use the abbreviated "Bury FC" where appropriate including its reserve and women's teams Bury FC Reserves and Bury FC Women.

14 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Pep would be class where ever he goes, in club football atleast. He won  the Spanish second division with a b team. 
He has said at some point in his career he wants to manage Brescia, so we’ll see how he gets on when he goes there.

Read an interview this weekend, I think it was Fernandinho who was waxing lyrical about Pep's coaching methods. I think it's easy to think he just buys the best players and that's why he wins everything, that piece just reminded me how good he actually is. I will try to dig it up if it's not already been posted.

If Burnley have returned, even if it’s not a full pre-season yet then that’s absolutely mental and will backfire. Nothing wrong with professionalism but players need time away from the game to recover mentally from the season more than anything else. It’s relentless, especially in the championship. People will just burn out 

This is interesting:

How Consistent Was Every Premier League Lineup This Season?

What our newest metric STABLE can tell us about Arsenal’s surprising title challenge and Chelsea’s face-plant.

By Ryan Best

Before the 2022-23 Premier League campaign kicked off, there was a buzz around St. James’ Park that hadn’t been felt in quite some time: optimism. After years of bottom-half finishes, relegation scraps and mediocrity, it finally felt like Newcastle United was building a team its fans could believe in.1 Driven by a cohesive and formidable defensive unit — a four-man back line and goalkeeper who played more than 76 percent of the season’s minutes together2 — the Magpies more than delivered, blowing away their most bullish expectations to earn a top-four finish and a place in next year’s Champions League.

2023-06-06_13h41_28.thumb.png.c064e146b0e36419b6fbdf7f383f038b.png

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/epl-consistency-2023/