Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

He has to be up there like. Wish he'd gone somewhere he was more appreciated.

There's a weird bias against him as well imo. His Champions League final goal is by far and away the best goal I've ever seen in any final and one of the best I've ever seen. It came 2nd to Ronaldo's overhead that year.

9 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Astonishes me when people slag off Kane like :lol: he's very easily England's best player and almost everything he does in a match is perfect. Scores loads of goals and then you get games like today when he assists a couple instead. 

Kane used to be quite selfish and take loads of shots like, but it's definitely laziness from people who haven't noticed that his game changed about 4 years ago.

10 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I was at work during the game, but just watched the highlights. My initial thoughts from that and the bit of the first half I caught:

• A goalkeeper with normal length arms saves Iran's first goal. How much longer can we get away with having a midget who can't reach the bar in goal?
  • Bellingham looks mint. January transfer buy for us? :cheesy:
  • Wilson's pullback for Grealish was class. If that's Kane, he selfishly spunks that chance away. Really not that enamoured by Kane at all.
  • Tripps is still absolutely top class and an absolute joy to behold. Our Captain :smitten:.
  • Sako looked good.
  • Maguire looked OK, but wasn't tested at all In Defence. Same goes for Shaw. Not convinced they'll get a ride as easy as that one, yet they still leaked two goals against a shocking Iran side.

Could someone who actually watched the game give me a steer as to how off the mark I am? Cheers lads.

Liked the small armed reference, made me giggle.

Agree with most but i think that our centre of defence was made to look great in possession as the Iranies didn´t pressure us at all until we were ten yards inside their half.

When they did decide to attack, we were either unfocused due to the scoreline or we aren´t very good at defending, as both goals were pretty bad to give away.

*90% of the game was very very good and our attacking players were great. Think this is the best i have seen Sterling and Mount play all season!!!

Just now, Mike said:

Meanwhile the Mexico kit is fucking immense. Fuck's sake.

Yeah all the ones that hide the stupid curve just look like normal, decent kits. England's is just as bad as USA if not worse imo. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Meanwhile the Mexico kit is fucking immense. Fuck's sake.

The US always seem to have class kits, it's a shame the template Nike are using this year is utter dogshite.

This will always be one of the best ever International football kits:

nike usa 2018 home away kits (10).jpg

I don't understand why you're all saying 'Nike template'? They're all arguably shit (personally think England away, Korea away and a few others are class), but they're all different?

EDIT: Right, I get you, it's that one specific curved template rather than there only being one template. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I have also been guilty of being too critical of Southgate due to his lack of tactical nous against top level team, but credit where it is due, I thought England looked very impressive. Maybe even the best of the teams which have played until now. France looked good too but I think Iran was a better opposition than Australia. Highest ranked Asian team and a Queiroz coached team is difficult to play against. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I mean we're knackered if we lose him, like. 

Wilson is a pretty decent replacement mind. Obviously nowhere near Kane levels, but for the group stages, we'll be fine with Callum as long as the rest do their jobs. 

4 hours ago, NUFCDoog said:

Wilson didn't train with the rest of them today either so I guess it's Rashford down the middle 

He’s just on his own training plan. There’s nowt worrying about it. 

None of the others who played trained today either apparently. 

On 21/11/2022 at 19:09, ponsaelius said:

The worst thing about the World Cup is seeing takes on social media from Americans who only watch football once every four years. At least the equivalent people in the UK end up talking about soldier's wages when we lose, rather than that the US would win if they picked a load of NFL running backs.

3 hours ago, LV said:

He’s just on his own training plan. There’s nowt worrying about it. 

None of the others who played trained today either apparently. 

When Ben Foster spoke about Wilson on his podcast he said he'll be on a training plan where he'll only train properly maybe once a week or so at Newcastle. Basically his routine will be all about recovery and injury prevention.