Group H: Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, South Korea (Portugal and South Korea qualify)

Big River

I've grown to really enjoy Bruno F's style of football.

He gets a lot of stick for losing the ball a lot. And it's an area for improvement, stops him functioning in a really slick team and maybe holds him back from being a truly elite player. And it's good that PL fans recognises the limitations of such a game. But his style of play is effective and entertaining. 

Mesut Ozil was a different style of 10. Much better at keeping the ball, keeping momentum and waiting for the right time to play that killer ball. And he got lots of stick too when in the PL. No pleasing some people.

On 30/11/2022 at 00:32, Geordie Ahmed said:

The knock outs are opening up for Portugal, they'll get to the semi finals with ease 

Personally I feel like Argentina have a far easier route. Portugal will probably have to play Switzerland and then either Germany or Croatia/Belgium/Morocco by the looks of it. No easy route imo.

18 minutes ago, Flip said:

Personally I feel like Argentina have a far easier route. Portugal will probably have to play Switzerland and then either Germany or Croatia/Belgium/Morocco by the looks of it. No easy route imo.

The R16 game is easier for Argentina but potentially Netherlands is tougher than Belgium/Morocco 

But aye Argentina have potentially got an easy route to the semi finals 

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The whole Suarez handball thing Vs Ghana is so weird, he did what any other player should do in that situation

I think the media building it into a grudge match to such a degree is weird, but don't agree with you there. I wouldn't do it :lol:

It might be within the rules that you can do that and get a red card but it completely goes against the spirit of the game. He cheated, then stuck around to celebrate the results of his cheating. Would rather he bit a chunk off me arm than do that shit. 

Definitely. It was annoying (for us) when OGS took out Lee (I think) all those years ago and got a red card (and a standing ovation from the OT fans), but it made perfect sense.

If there's a 100% chance you're going out if you let it go past you, or a 10-15% chance the resulting penalty will be missed / saved, I'd hope most players would take the red card and the risk. No brainer, surely.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Wasn’t it also the egregious way he celebrated like crazy when Gyan missed the penalty. Not enough to cheat but then to have no humility at all 

What even is this opinion?

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s called not being a total dickhead. There’s no way I’d celebrate like that in people’s faces that I’ve just cheated out of a tournament 

They qualified man, he made them qualify. It’s not cheating at all, he got sent off and  Gyan missed. Otherwise, every foul in football is cheating basically.

Edited by Flip

Almost no foul intentionally stops a goal with handball so it’s a bit different like. I don’t have so much of an issue with the handball, a lot of players would do it. It was the total lack of respect for Ghana and him being a dickhead that did it for me 

5 hours ago, Flip said:

They qualified man, he made them qualify. It’s not cheating at all, he got sent off and  Gyan missed. Otherwise, every foul in football is cheating basically.

I would say stopping an otherwise certain goal (and winner) through intentionally breaking the rules is very much cheating. He cheated and gained an advantage of a potential missed pen followed by extra time and shootout albeit with 10 men, as opposed to almost certain automatic disqualification. 

It was mainly his celebration that annoyed people though, but him since being proven to be a terrible bloke and complete weirdo hasn’t helped him. 

Also, is it really what everyone would do or would they not just try and head it? I know he’s not the tallest but he’s not that tiny 👀

If it somehow wasn't spotted in a VAR-less world back then and play was waved on and the offence wasn't punished at all then that would be a lot different, and I'd have a different view and it would have left a bad taste, but he committed an offence, was caught, got subsequent punishment for it, a red card and a penalty, which would still stand today. Perhaps not the most sportsmanlike thing in the world to do, but not cheating IMO.

17 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

I would say stopping an otherwise certain goal (and winner) through intentionally breaking the rules is very much cheating. He cheated and gained an advantage of a potential missed pen followed by extra time and shootout albeit with 10 men, as opposed to almost certain automatic disqualification. 

It was mainly his celebration that annoyed people though, but him since being proven to be a terrible bloke and complete weirdo hasn’t helped him. 

Also, is it really what everyone would do or would they not just try and head it? I know he’s not the tallest but he’s not that tiny 👀

I mean it's not like he had time to think it all through, the ball came at him and in that split second he instinctively put his hand out to block it. Something in his subconscious told him the only way to stop it was with the hand and that's what he did.

Personally think it's a bit weird he gets so much stick for that, to me it was no different to any of the professional fouls that you see on a regular basis. It's just because he's a cunt, really.