The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

I missed Croatia's goal, as I was out the room getting something so have only just seen it. The fuck were Brazil thinking? There were 3 minutes left in extra time, and you're 1-0 up,  so they allow a 5 vs 4 at the back, with 6 players stranded up field. That is insanely naïve, and wreaks of massive hubris.

Edited by 54

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wasn't in here from the start or on the other Brazil games.

Thoughts on Paqueta? Not really been too impressed by him. Not really a fan.

One of those players who waits to try and do something flash, but for the rest of the game you don't see him.

Not a team player like Bruno.

4 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I know Tite is supposed to be an excellent coach and all that, but he watched his midfield getting owned by Croatian three, and decided to send on Fred instead of Bruno [emoji38]

50/50 ball possession. 1 shot against on goal. Tites problem was keeping Neymar after 1-0. Put Martinelli on for the sake of god.

Modric was incredible, 37 years old and ran the show, i think he lost the ball once all match and he was on the ball all the time.

Brilliant, like prime Pirlo or Xavi.

And he stepped up and slotted his pen.

Edited by dembabah

13 minutes ago, Flip said:

it’s insane. And where the fuck was Martinelli. Like Tite planned for penalties at 1-0 by keeping an inmovable object i  

Brazil were winning 1-0 with a few mins left. Just be sensible and see the game out. Poor.

Every other nation has gone for pragmatism to win this tournament. Brazil went for the samba, dancing, fairies approach and rightly got dumped out.

Part of their problem is that Neymar is undroppable. When your star player offers nothing for 85 minutes, it's no suprise that you struggle.

If they actually decided to build a team out of hard working, pressing players, who were prepared to put a shift in and play football, they might get somewhere.

I've no sympathy, they didn't select Joelinton who would have been perfect for them today and they played Paqueta and Fred over Bruno who is twice the player of either.

Football has moved on, you don't get to just pick your flair players anymore. Fuck em.

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wasn't in here from the start or on the other Brazil games.

Thoughts on Paqueta? Not really been too impressed by him. Not really a fan.

Doesn't contribute enough defensively to pay in a regular midfield role. Doesn't contribute enough offensively to indulge him in an upfront number 10 role. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Every other nation has gone for pragmatism to win this tournament. Brazil went for the samba, dancing, fairies approach and rightly got dumped out.

Part of their problem is that Neymar is undroppable. When your star player offers nothing for 85 minutes, it's no suprise that you struggle.

If they actually decided to build a team out of hard working, pressing players, who were prepared to put a shift in and play football, they might get somewhere.

I've no sympathy, they didn't select Joelinton who would have been perfect for them today and they played Paqueta and Fred over Bruno who is twice the player of either.

Football has moved on, you don't get to just pick your flair players anymore. Fuck em.

Can't disagree with much of that. We love Brazil for the flair, but you have to value hard work, especially in some crucial areas of the pitch.

1 minute ago, rgk_lfc said:

Doesn't contribute enough defensively to pay in a regular midfield role. Doesn't contribute enough offensively to indulge him in an upfront number 10 role. 

If Neymar or Vini weren't there, he makes more sense. He doesn't when you've got 3-4 other game changers in front of you. Midfield needed Bruno.

6 minutes ago, Flip said:

50/50 ball possession. 1 shot against on goal. Tites problem was keeping Neymar after 1-0. Put Martinelli on for the sake of god.

I hear you, but he brought off your front 3 for inferior players (Atony in particular) when in reality he needed to bring on Martinelli and Bruno. 

5 minutes ago, dembabah said:

Modric was incredible, 37 years old and ran the show, i think he lost the ball once all match and he was on the ball all the time.

Brilliant, like prime Pirlo or Xavi.

And he stepped up and slotted his pen.

He’s a legend. To be playing as well as he is at age 37 is incredible. 

Turns out the media reaction to beating South Korea by a few goals was overhyped. Who'd have thought?? They looked nothing special against Serbia, Switzerland or Cameroon, but the media work on narratives and have to hype them up.

Fair play Croatia. It's pretty incredible for a country of less than 4 million people. Even more impressive when you consider they've barely rotated all tournament and played extra time a few days ago, against a fully rotated, rested and fresh squad. They visibly tired but held their nerve.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

I think they have players good enough to allow for Neymar to feature and provide a moment of brilliance.

The problem is they have him in there in midfield with Paqueta, which is crazy. Casemiro was pretty much alone in there.

If you have Neymar in there with Casemiro and Bruno I think it probably works out fine tbh. Their coach is having a laugh.