The Semi-Finals: Argentina and France through

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, I’d take a 22 year old Messi too

I don’t take a handful of WC matches seriously in terms of determine the world’s best player.  If that is the case, Benzema and Haaland aren’t even in with a shout as they didn’t play. 

Haaland couldn’t even get his country to the World Cup.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The French will beat Argentina comfortably - assuming they make it

Think I’ve read you say something similar after every Argentina match and they are only getting better and better. :lol:

Just now, Kimbo said:

The horrible thing about France is I feel like they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet. I think they can probably go up a level and do a job on anyone.

Not with Deschamps imo.

I think we've really seen what a great decision it was for Messi to go to PSG. He really wanted this World Cup and going somewhere where he's been able to half-arse it domestically for 18 months has proved a masterstroke (it being in December has obviously helped as well).

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Pretty much every side at this WC has been.  Feels like these WCs come in cycles.  This one will be forgotten quickly

Nar it’s been a great one imo

Morocco going so far has made it , they are probably gone tomorrow though 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Pelé spent his entire career in Brazil and USA. Nowhere near Messi imo. 

Did you see him play ? He's the only one I would ever consider ahead of Messi, Pele also played in the days defenders could set about seeing how fast you could limp

Just now, Toonpack said:

Did you see him play ? He's the only one I would ever consider ahead of Messi, Pele also played in the days defenders could set about seeing how fast you could limp

Time period can go both ways, many defenders (or players generally) weren’t living like pro athletes either.

14 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Pelé spent his entire career in Brazil and USA. Nowhere near Messi imo. 

The best club football in the world was played in South America back in then fwiw. Pele pissed on the biggest European club sides with Santos time and time again. Very good argument otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, Pata said:

Time period can go both ways, many defenders (or players generally) weren’t living like pro athletes either.

That is true and why you probably can’t compare between generations. I mean, Messi would’ve been a very small fella in Peles generation due to his growth hormone deficiency that he had to be treated for. 

That being said, let’s just enjoy Messi one more time Sunday. Hopefully he scores five and has a great performance but they still lose :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I think we've really seen what a great decision it was for Messi to go to PSG. He really wanted this World Cup and going somewhere where he's been able to half-arse it domestically for 18 months has proved a masterstroke (it being in December has obviously helped as well).

Qatar signing him and him then winning the WC in Qatar with the help of dubious calls in almost every game...:bluestar: 

Jokes aside, I think he’d have been this good no matter what. He has a new found love for Argentina in the past three years.

In 2014 his player of the tournament award was debatable, but I think he's been incredible in this World Cup and the best player in the tournament.

You can see he's lost a yard and has to decide when to go God mode and when to relax, but it just shows how high his ceiling was that he's still rinsing players now despite being slower and having less stamina.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In 2014 his player of the tournament award was debatable, but I think he's been incredible in this World Cup and the best player in the tournament.

You can see he's lost a yard and has to decide when to go God mode and when to relax, but it just shows how high his ceiling was that he's still rinsing players now despite being slower and having less stamina.

He's using his strength due to his low centre of gravity in a different way but still amazingly. 

44 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

The horrible thing about France is I feel like they haven’t got out of 2nd gear yet. I think they can probably go up a level and do a job on anyone.

How? They aren't that much different to Argentina, one player who can win a game by himself in Mbappe, and a couple of other more measured threats in Griezmann and Giroud. Argentina have Messi and Alvarez. you could argue two of them are worth as much as the three of France's. I'd give France a very slight edge, but not by much. Assuming they get past Morocco.

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Can only really think of Greizmann who comes close. 

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

100% This is by far his best World Cup. This is prime Messi at display. They’ve put 9 defensive players and a striker that makes intelligent runs and let him do everything else and it’s working only because of him. If he wins this, it has to be a top 3 World Cup individual performance with Garrincha in ’62 and Maradona ’86. 

2 minutes ago, Thorpinho said:

Alvarez surely got young player of the tournament in the bag? 

Thought it was until 21 years of age in which case I’d give it to Gvardiol I think. Bellingham there as well.