The Semi-Finals: Argentina and France through

26 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nearly getting relegated to winning the league over the course of 38 games the following season will always be a greater achievement than anything in tournament football for me like. You can't fine margin, luck of the draw, or outright luck your way to winning a league. 

Morocco have played well though, haven’t lucked their way at all. In fact, if they win this it would mean they’ve eliminated 5 out of the top 10 teams in international football. There’s also a qualifier, and just getting to the World Cup is a shit show for African nations.

Doesn’t matter though, they’re losing tonight. 

26 minutes ago, Flip said:

Morocco have played well though, haven’t lucked their way at all. In fact, if they win this it would mean they’ve eliminated 5 out of the top 10 teams in international football. There’s also a qualifier, and just getting to the World Cup is a shit show for African nations.

Doesn’t matter though, they’re losing tonight. 

I agree they have. What I mean is it would need to be something seriously special for me to rank a tournament achievement over a league-winning one on the level of Leicester's. As in like Qatar winning the World Cup, beating Brazil, France, Argentina etc along the way. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I agree they have. What I mean is it would need to be something seriously special for me to rank a tournament achievement over a league-winning one on the level of Leicester's. As in like Qatar winning the World Cup, beating Brazil, France, Argentina etc along the way. 

Then I’m afraid the peak has been reached for you :lol: 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

With a total population of nearly four times times that of Greece, a Moroccan victory would barely come close to 2004 in terms of sporting shocks. It also has far fewer islands and more gazelles, which is surely a factor.

I think the World Cup is just so much bigger though - it’s literally the biggest tournament on earth… it would be amazing if they did it 

( doubt they will mind ) 

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

I think the World Cup is just so much bigger though - it’s literally the biggest tournament on earth… it would be amazing if they did it 

( doubt they will mind ) 

And once every four years only as well.

Malades ces derniers jours, Dayot Upamecano et Adrien Rabiot ne peuvent pas tenir leur place dans le onze des Bleus face au Maroc, en demi-finales de la Coupe du monde (20 heures). Ibrahima Konaté et Youssouf Fofana ont été choisis par Didier Deschamps pour les remplacer.

An African side has never won the World Cup.

A non-European side has not win the World Cup in 20 years.

A non-European side hasn't won the World Cup for the first time in 42 years.

As far as I know, there's never been a shock World Cup winner.

Morocco winning would mean beating Spain, Portugal, France & Argentina in the KO rounds. That amounts to one of the hardest KO wins we've ever seen.

Nothing would surpass Morocco winning the World Cup.

Winning the World Cup is the hardest thing in football imo. Harder than winning the league. So many things have to go in a team's favour to win it.

Which is why if France win it, you have to hand it to them. The quality in-depth that country has produced, is something else. And then the nerve to win it. They would have won 2 WC's without the greatest 9 in their history (who was fit for one and injured for the other). As well as their midfield winning duo.

Edited by The College Dropout

43 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

An African side has never won the World Cup.

A non-European side has not win the World Cup in 20 years.

A non-European side hasn't won the World Cup for the first time in 42 years.

As far as I know, there's never been a shock World Cup winner.

Morocco winning would mean beating Spain, Portugal, France & Argentina in the KO rounds. That amounts to one of the hardest KO wins we've ever seen.

Nothing would surpass Morocco winning the World Cup.

Winning the World Cup is the hardest thing in football imo. Harder than winning the league. So many things have to go in a team's favour to win it.

Which is why if France win it, you have to hand it to them. The quality in-depth that country has produced, is something else. And then the nerve to win it. They would have won 2 WC's without the greatest 9 in their history (who was fit for one and injured for the other). As well as their midfield winning duo.

Morocco winning the world cup would move the game forward by two decades in the next five years in Africa and Asia. It would potentially have claim to be one of the most important moment in football history.

A moment which would completely transcend sports. One of the negative impacts of colonialism which is not talked about is how it slowly degrades the sense of self worth of the colonized nations. Every aspect of life - infrastructure, trains, hospitals, schools, local administrative governance are so dependent on the colonial master's system that it sort of drains the confidence of the society to accomplish something on their own. Lot of Indians my dads age point to Kapil Dev's team winning the 1983 world cup as an important moment in their life. Not just the joy, but the shot of confidence that team gave them that they could also compete on the world stage in their field. It created a new generation of Indians who now thought anything was possible.

With all due respects to the respective posters, I don't think they even begin to realize the significance of Morocco winning the world cup by comparing it to Leicester winning the premier league and Greece winning the Euros. They were all great and lovely sporting moments. But Morocco winning the world cup would be a seismic event, sending shockwaves through the societies of Asia and Africa, the reverberations of which will be felt for decades. 

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Who would folk say has been the player of the tournament?

I've got one from:

Mbappe

Griezemann

Amrabat

Hakimi

Giroud

Bono

Messi

Alvarez 

Can’t really see past Messi and Mbappe, whoever wins the final probably gets it if France win tonight. Alvarez and Griezemann are next in line 

9 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm not a real acolyte for it as a metric, particularly in tournament football, but Argentina have had the better xG than their opponents in all 6 of their matches. Compared to France who only have 3/5 for example.

I think they've been underrated throughout the tournament because they can be a bit scrappy in possession, break in moments and do adapt their tactics slightly depending on opponents (even mid game) rather than sticking to a unabashed philosophy. But other than the second half against Saudi and first half against Mexico I think they've  generally been really controlled and impressive throughout the tournament.

I was also personally very glad they were able to dispatch Croatia yesterday comfortably - because I'm bored of people misinterpreting possession used as a defensive tool as being dominance in football terms. 

Saw a stat a before the last game that they haven't conceded a single shot from a counter attack in the whole tournament. Just extremely solid unit that knows Messi will create enough chances to win any game despite the team being so careful in possession. 

I don't know if it's just me, and hopefully not inadvertent casual racism, but I don't really consider Morocco (and Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria etc.) African countries. Obviously they are in continental Africa and associated with that continent, play in the AFCON etc. but I definitely associate Africa more with the likes of Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon etc.