World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

10 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Spain 2010 might have been a complete side but fuck me they were dull. Give me this Argentina side over them any day to watch.

I think that's a little unfair. Uruguay and Chile were the only good teams to watch in that WC imo and everyone did set up in a way that made games boring vs Spain. They had David Villa and Torres then too so were much better on the eye when it clicked than in other years. They were great to watch in '08 and '12 too, so I'm happy to put the boringness of '10 down to other factors.

The tournament was obviously rubbish. Very low scoring, a ball that wasn't fit for for purpose and dreadful vuvuzelas ruining the atmosphere. But the champions being as boring as they were was emblematic of this rather than a symptom for me. 8 goals in 7 games, all four knockout games 1-0. Greece-ed it, IMO, just with possession rather than a low block and set pieces.

The only Spain team I enjoyed watching was the racist's in 2008. Del Bosque was a misery.

Edited by ponsaelius

What an absolute joy that final was yesterday. Purely through circumstances on each occasion (maybe not 2010), I hadn't seen a WC Final live since 2006 and the Zidane headbutt. I'm so fucking relieved I caught that yesterday; really felt like you were seeing history in the making. A gripping match of seriously high quality, incredible drama and worthy/likeable/iconic winners. It was probably the game of the tournament, which, for a final, is surely rarer than rocking horse shit. 

Still absolutely buzzing, it just feels right that Messi has a World Cup winners medal. Like someone had mentioned earlier I couldn't fully enjoy the game because of how badly I wanted Messi to win it, when it looked like they had bottled it on a couple of occasions I was devastated, only Newcastle losses have made me feel worse when it comes to sport. 

I didn't expect them to do it, not cos of Messi but didn't trust their defence when it came to moments. They were cruising that game until that Otamendi moment but we saw that fragility a few times in the tournament.

For me there was never a debate but this just ends it. It was often said Ronaldo's greatest achievement was being compared to Messi and history will show that to be the case.

Though the last hour or so wasn't enjoyable that's the best WC final I have watched by a country mile and it is the best WC I have seen (USA 94 being the first will probably always remained favourite) .

Also I know it's been said but Emi Martinez should get a knighthood or whatever equivalent they have in Argentina, whilst Messi was clearly their best player he was there in those big moments

That save from Kuol to stop it going into extra time. Then delivering in the shoot out against the Netherlands. Then the save right at the death from Muani was ridiculous and then finally in the shoot out. He delivered in big moments for them. 

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Also I know it's been said but Emi Martinez should get a knighthood or whatever equivalent they have in Argentina, whilst Messi was clearly their best player he was there in those big moments

That save from Kuol to stop it going into extra time. Then delivering in the shoot out against the Netherlands. Then the save right at the death from Muani was ridiculous and then finally in the shoot out. He delivered in big moments for them. 

Same in Copa America. Big game player, shame he doesn’t play in big games at Aston Villa.

It’s been nearly 24 hours but I’m still hyped. That was the most dramatic World Cup match ever. The emotions were just insane. From Argentina cruising to them disintegrating mentally (again!) to them recovering and playing their football. And finally getting their head sorted for the PKs. Just unbelievable drama, man. If I go back through the world cups in my lifetime, there’s not been a final with anywhere close to this drama. 

This match had two sitters missed in the 120th minute ffs :lol: :lol: just insane, if this happened in a movie everyone would say it’s unrealistic. 

10 hours ago, Disco said:

Seething and crying about the ref. Muy delicioso.

Glendenning being under the impression that withdrawn subs can be sent back on was quite revealing for a football journalist of 20+ years.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Just seen footage that makes it look like Upamecano handballs before Montiel on the last pen. Not seen another angle like but seems a big miss by VAR if the case.

Just seen that as well, doesn't even look debateable so not sure how they missed that

Unless like you say it's just that one angle makes it look that way

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

8 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Would love to know what he said to his team at full time in the Netherlands match and yesterday.

Both games they had in the bag and then out of nowhere they conceded two goals to force extra time. You could see yesterday their heads were gone, really thought France would win it after they equalised. They were all over the shop against Netherlands too before the equaliser.

Yet remarkably in both games Argentina were comfortably the better side in extra time. Incredible job by him.

Wonderfully dramatic game, and am pleased for Messi, beyond question the greatest of his era.

I thought France could / should have won it in extra time, but one or two of their players, including Mbappe, got a bit greedy, trying to beat their man instead of releasing the ball. 

But it was very weird how badly they played in the first half, and well into the second. Their first goal changed things completely.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not a different time? They're just talking about the robe being put on Messi. 

Oh strange, I'm sure that's been edited, now at 41:35

Edit: no hang on, now it's back where it was :lol:

Try both!