World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Remember when folk used to actually have debates about whether Messi or Ronaldo was the greatest player of all time, and some people used to say the latter. Absolutely wild.

This puts an end to that debate. Messi joins Maradona as 2nd best ever now. :aww:

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

Incidentally, I thought Chedirra was the worst striker the world has ever seen, but that Martinez ran him close.

Cheddira man. The absolute legend. Was going to get a Morocco shirt with his name if they won it all :lol: Apparently scoring for fun in Bari, which is insane considering he looked nothing like a footballer.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Ronaldo is top 10 based on power of his achievements and longevity. Suggesting he is the best ever was always nuts.

Messi is now ahead of Maradona and Pele after today for me.

In terms of players I've watched play (not live obvs) -

1. Messi

2. Original Ronaldo

3. Fake Ronaldo

Maradona and Pele behind Messi if I'm including players I've not seen, and probably Cruyff behind Original Ronaldo, so:

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Pele

4. Original Ronaldo

5. Cruyff

6. Fake Ronaldo

And if I'm really going with my heart and not my head, stick Hatem on his best day in at no. 2 :lol:

Edited by LiquidAK

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

Cheddira man. The absolute legend. Was going to get a Morocco shirt with his name if they won it all :lol: Apparently scoring for fun in Bari, which is insane considering he looked nothing like a footballer.

:lol:

Just now, TRon said:

:lol:

Was mine and my fathers favourite player these knockout stages. Did everything in his power to try and destroy Morocco at the World Cup.  :lol: Was crying and at the same time laughing hysterically when he was sent off against Portugal. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Whatever Team of the tournament you had before this, Martinez and MacAllistar have to go in now 

That Martinez save...unbelievable stuff. One of the greatest saves ever. That’s when Argentina won the game imo. After that save it shifted momentum to them as if they were the lucky ones to get to penalties now.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Whatever Team of the tournament you had before this, Martinez and MacAllistar have to go in now 

Sky's Team of the Tournament before today had Argentina's Acuna at left back - Iimagine his performance today managed to remove him from that

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Ronaldo is top 10 based on power of his achievements and longevity. Suggesting he is the best ever was always nuts.

Messi is now ahead of Maradona and Pele after today for me.

I never saw Pele but still seems mad to think anyone would ever come close to Maradona, but maybe you're right. So happy for him anyway, I thought he was destined to miss out for the last time on a World cup winners medal.

Props to the manager as well, brave call to bring back Di Maria who I thought was a bit of flop at Man U, and in previous world cups. I got that massively wrong.

1 minute ago, Flip said:

That Martinez save...unbelievable stuff. One of the greatest saves ever. That’s when Argentina won the game imo. After that save it shifted momentum to them as if they were the lucky ones to get to penalties now.

Aye, when he went through I thought this was the tragic ending we'd all feared was inevitable.

Would have been incredible had Lauturo buried the header up the other end when they broke forward right after.

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

MacAllister was outrageously good. On a pitch littered with talent and a few superstars. He arguably stood out the most. 

Special shoutout to De Paul. He really is a dog of war. Doesn’t seem to have much ability. But just grafts his bollocks off.

Not trying to play down their achievement or how good Scaloni has been in the knockouts with his tactics. But it is arguably the workrate from the Argies, with moments of brilliance. Is what won them the tournament. Their energy levels were outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

@Village Idiot Would love to hear your thoughts on today, considering you got to see him from the very start.

Chuffed that he finally got his big moment in the WC, tbf. At his age, and given Argetina's continued disappointments, I feared that he would never get that. Feels like that his legacy is finally complete now.

1 minute ago, midds said:

Lloris looked like he was papping his whackers in the tunnel before they even took the field. He was never going to get near a thing

He somehow gave the impression that he is actively trying to avoid contact with the ball on every penalty.