World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

1 hour ago, Flip said:

What is actually wrong with the stuttering run ups? 

PS. I find the mindgames amazing and not disrespectful at all. 

It's not the run up as such, I don't like the penalties where a player runs up, stops, the goalkeeper instinctively moves and they put it in the other corner. Lewandowski does it a lot. I don't think it's markedly different in practice from a feint that is a bookable offence.

8 hours ago, Wullie said:

It's not the run up as such, I don't like the penalties where a player runs up, stops, the goalkeeper instinctively moves and they put it in the other corner. Lewandowski does it a lot. I don't think it's markedly different in practice from a feint that is a bookable offence.

Like Messi did in the shootout? I don’t mind it. They’re not stopping, they’re just waiting out the gk as much as possible imo and Lloris almost got it, just like he did against Lewandowski in the last 16 match.

Back in 1980 at the European Championships, Spain were awarded two penalties against England. The first they scored, the second (scored again) was ordered to be retaken by the ref as the Spanish scorer Dani had stuttered on his way to taking it. Ray Clemence saved the retake. England won 2-1. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64003233

A gallery of Lionel Messi celebrating Argentina's World Cup win has become the most-liked Instagram post ever.

The footballer - who led his team to their first World Cup triumph in 36 years - received more than 57 million likes for his collection of photos.

Argentina defeated France on penalties in Sunday's World Cup final in Qatar.

Messi's Instagram post scored over a million more likes more than the previous record-breaking post - held by a simple picture of an egg.

What sort of allowance do they get in terms of time to stay in their country and celebrate?

Imagine how grim it'll be for them to come back to Europe and start training again. These I'll be the greatest, most memorable days of their lives. I'd insist on getting everything I could from it, try to visit every fucking primary school in the country. :lol:

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Martinez is a proper weirdo imo

In general, I had no issues with his antics in the final. As a goalkeeper, do what it takes to get in the mind of the opposition and win. Fine with that. No problem with his anti- Mbappe antics in the dressing room also. The teams dressing room, do what you want there. 

Not quite sure that Mbappe baby doll in public is needed. Seems a step too far and serves no purpose other than motivate Mbappe when they meet next. 

On 19/12/2022 at 18:58, gbandit said:

Throwing the ball away was a bit much for me, but all for a bit of goading and sledging

Didn't get a yellow the first time. Should've been given yellow the first time.

The other on-field antics I don't mind. But throwing the ball away like that is a yellow card. The Mbappe stuff on the bus is pathetic.

He's clearly an overall dickhead too.