World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

11 minutes ago, Shak said:

Aye, when he went through I thought this was the tragic ending we'd all feared was inevitable.

Would have been incredible had Lauturo buried the header up the other end when they broke forward right after.

You’ve tried many combos here in the past couple of hours but I have to finally say that he’s called Lautaro. :lol:

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Pata said:

You’ve tried many combos here in the past couple of hours but I have to finally say that he’s called Lautaro. :lol:

Whatever he's called, he's had an absolutel shocker of a tournament.

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

MacAllister was outrageously good. On a pitch littered with talent and a few superstars. He arguably stood out the most. 

Special shoutout to De Paul. He really is a dog of war. Doesn’t seem to have much ability. But just grafts his bollocks off.

Not trying to play down their achievement or how good Scaloni has been in the knockouts with his tactics. But it is arguably the workrate from the Argies, with moments of brilliance. Is what won them the tournament. Their energy levels were outstanding. 

De Paul has a lot missing from his game but fucking hell does he try and make up with it for effort.

Argentina looked like they were on the Relentless drug at times. All of the midfield and Romero were on it.

19 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Sky's Team of the Tournament before today had Argentina's Acuna at left back - Iimagine his performance today managed to remove him from that

Had him in mine too; he wasn’t that bad today either, he’s just obviously not Di Maria.

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

@TheBrownBottle: Argentina are average as fuck and whoever they play next will expose them as the frauds they are.

Hi Pata :)

Christ, I don't remember what I said yesterday, never mind whenever I wrote that.  Ah well, glad you're here to remind me.

I didn't watch the final, but four pens suggests a bit of a farce.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hi Pata :)

Christ, I don't remember what I said yesterday, never mind whenever I wrote that.  Ah well, glad you're here to remind me.

I didn't watch the final, but four pens suggests a bit of a farce.  

Nah, the best tournament final ever tbh.

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'll be honest I don't see myself remembering that.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Nah, the best tournament final ever tbh.

I'll give the extended highlights a watch later - the score times suggest it was a bit crazy.  I am glad for Messi - while I don't think winning a WC actually makes a difference to a player's greatness, it does at least remove that nonsense from the conversation.

I don't think there was a truly top side at this WC mind - it isn't a coincidence that Messi and Mbappe met in the final.  Those two are the effective difference between their sides and about seven or eight other teams.

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'll give the extended highlights a watch later - the score times suggest it was a bit crazy.  I am glad for Messi - while I don't think winning a WC actually makes a difference to a player's greatness, it does at least remove that nonsense from the conversation.

I don't think there was a truly top side at this WC mind - it isn't a coincidence that Messi and Mbappe met in the final.  Those two are the effective difference between their sides and about seven or eight other teams.

Isn't that usually the case with most world cups? Only France in the Zidane years comes to mind that were fabulous from back to front.

This France I didn't really like so much, they were a team of spoilers, I actually liked their football better in the Euros where they went out after leading 3-1 against Switzerland.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Isn't that usually the case with most world cups? Only France in the Zidane years comes to mind that were fabulous from back to front.

This France I didn't really like so much, they were a team of spoilers, I actually liked their football better in the Euros where they went out after leading 3-1 against Switzerland.

Brazil 94-02 and Spain 08-12 were pretty much complete sides too - and I do think that Germany 14 and France 18 were clearly head and shoulders above everyone.

This Argentina side are (IMO) the weakest winner in some time - they may be the weakest since Maradona carried their last winning side in 86, though there are arguments for Italy 06.

It is odd though how Euros and Copa Americas spring up surprise winners and WCs don't.  It is hard to imagine Denmark or Peru, or Greece or Bolivia winning a WC.  It will be good for the competition if it ever does happen.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Spain 2010 might have been a complete side but fuck me they were dull. Give me this Argentina side over them any day to watch.

That first 79 mins from Argentina was just perfection 

They are a crazy arse team - backed by thousands of nutters in the stands - pure joy 

Argentina's only real weakness has been a fragility immediately after conceding that's seen them nearly blow several games they'd controlled for 80 minutes. They've only conceded 11 shots on goal in the entire tournament. They completely outplayed Netherlands, Croatia and France and are totally deserving winners.