Leicester City vs. Newcastle United - 26/12/22 @ 3pm (Amazon Prime Video)

HaydnNUFC

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12766936/premier-league-predictions-jones-knows-thinks-brentford-can-catch-tottenham-cold-as-the-premier-league-returns-on-boxing-day

Leicester vs Newcastle, Boxing Day 3pm

[I've tried to analyse these set of Boxing Day fixtures as if it was the start of a new season. So, what trends or patterns can we use from Gameweek One's from the last 10 seasons to potentially point us towards a profitable path?]

Callum Wilson is a dangerous prospect when fresh, to the extent he's almost advised to be backed blind to score when he's well rested up. This theory comes from his form at the start of a season.

Wilson has a history of scoring goals early on in a campaign. In the last nine seasons when he has been fit enough to start a season (eight out of nine), Wilson has scored on average five goals in the first eight matchdays of that season - and that's not including his two-goal haul in the first three matchdays this season before he suffered a hamstring issue.

Overall it works out at an average goals scored per 90 minutes of 0.6 in the first eight matchdays of a season. That compares to a 0.3 average in games over the course of the rest of the season. His body seems to peak when he's had a good break from competitive action - as he has over the past six weeks with his role with England being restricted to cameo appearances when a game had been already won.

Despite not getting many minutes, I'd expect his confidence to be high now he's a fully-fledged member of the England party. And he can return to the Premier League by scoring the first goal at 9/2 with Sky Bet in what has the look of a low scoring away win for the tremendous Toon.

SCORE PREDICTION: 0-1

6 hours ago, Wandy said:

Filbert Street was always a ground where there was trouble when we played there. Underneath their new family-friendly image they are still a bunch of snidey pricks.

Nasty undercurrent in their fanbase,similar to Everton

Be interesting to see if Rodgers is just playing mind games with Maddison. Mind as myself and others have mentioned, it will be a big call to start a player who has not played a match in over 5 weeks (and has missed a fair bit of training at the World Cup and after). His comments were very different to his assistant the other day though. Obviously I would be delighted if he was missing as he is their major threat imo

Toughest decsion in this game is going to be who starts LW and LCM. 

ASM fitness will be a big part of that choice obviously. Joelinton LW and Willock LCM would be my guess right now.

Pope

Tripps - Schar - Botman - Burn

Longstaff - Bruno - Willock

Almiron - Wilson - Joelinton 

46 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I would like the team v Bournemouth 

1 change in personal 

Joelinton moved more centrally to replace Longstaff 

Maxi - Wide left 

I think Howe likes the “simple” stuff Longstaff does but sometimes he gets in a position where you’d pray it was Willock or Joelinton.

There's been plenty of time to prepare for a game like this. I hear the talk about 'loss of momentum' etc, but I think a team like Howe et al will have that figured out and taken care of accordingly. 

Not to say that Leicester aren't a threat - they've got good form too. But I feel entitled to back us virtually everywhere we go these days. We'll lose sometime of course, but I don't think that'll be Boxing Day. 

0-2 Toon. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/premier-leage-boxing-day-2010-liverpool-arsenal-man-utd/

This is a year old, but Christ our record is grim. Leicester's isn't loads better either.

Given the rule around Boxing Day where you have to play a club in relatively close proximity distance wise we've tended to get the Manchester clubs or Liverpool clubs. Add in Ashley level shitness, and it's no wonder the record is that bad.

Like our Boxing Day fixtures over the last decade or so;

2010-11 Man City (h)

2011-12 Bolton (a)

2012-13 Man Utd (a)

2013-14 Stoke (h)

2014-15 Man Utd (a)

2015-16 Everton (h)

2016-17 Sheff Wed (h)

2017-18 Man City (h)

2018-19 Liverpool (a)

2019-20 Man Utd (a)

2020-21 Man City (a)