The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

35 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

When it comes to NUFC, I'm an optimist, but the top is beyond us this season. Top six is still achievable though.

If we get a couple of signings this month. Otherwise that's out as well.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I don't even think we need new signings. Just all the injured players back in the next few weeks and no more ridiculous new injuries and we'll be fine. 

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

When it comes to NUFC, I'm an optimist, but the top is beyond us this season. Top six is still achievable though.

Even with the injury news from yesterday ? Without signings I think top 8 is a struggle.

4 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

I don't even think we need new signings. Just all the injured players back in the next few weeks and no more ridiculous new injuries and we'll be fine. 

We still won't have a midfield to speak of. Bruno + two local lads is not enough for the second half of the season.

On 12/01/2024 at 12:12, SUPERTOON said:

What’s everyone’s expectations now with the latest injury blows ? Top 4 was already gone for me, but I thought we would go on a run and get top 7 (I thought the players would be back in January). After today’s news I reckon we will be around 9th/10th. 

I don't even know because Joelinton being out for 6 weeks makes me feel like we're never going to have anything close to the rotation and quality we need to go on a run and it's just going to go down as one of those seasons through no real fault of anyone.

If we get players back I think we can definitely target 6th, if we don't we could be mid-table, and in both scenarios I'll be thinking about what could have been because when we've had anything resembling a fit team with even a little bit of depth we've looked fucking class. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't even know because Joelinton being out for 6 weeks makes me feel like we're never going to have anything close to the rotation and quality we need to go on a run and it's just going to go down as one of those seasons through no real fault of anyone.

If we get players back I think we can definitely target 6th, if we don't we could be mid-table, and in both scenarios I'll be thinking about what could have been because when we've had anything resembling a fit team with even a little bit of depth we've looked fucking class. 

We shouldn’t need to rotate in second half of the season, it will be one game per week 90% of the time. 

2 hours ago, TRC said:

If the 5th CL place goes to  PL team, does 6 and 7 get Europa and 8th get the conference league?

I think it does. Couldn’t see a totally straight answer when I tried to find out, but from what I understood. (Assuming top teams win the cups)

Edited by Superior Acuña

Even though I don't like the idea of them winning anything I think Liverpool winning the Carabao is overall better, as they will be getting CL so their Europa Conference spot will go to the highest PL placed team

3 hours ago, TRC said:

If the 5th CL place goes to  PL team, does 6 and 7 get Europa and 8th get the conference league?

There’s only one UEFA cup place for league finish.  If Liverpool win the League Cup then it’ll drop another in

Before this season I was honestly satisfied with a top 10 finish and a good cup/cl run. If we qualify for Europe again we will again we overachieved imo. 8th would be perfectly acceptable to me.

And that is not even factoring in the injury situation, but honestly we could have foreseen problems could escalate with how thin our squad was for a cl campaign and our high intensive playing style. 

Without context 8th would be a disappointment but considering this is the 'Newcastle United 23/24 Season sponsored by Siem de Jong' I'd take 7th with a decent cup run (win?).

14 hours ago, TRon said:

Tank is on empty.  We need additions desperately. 

14 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Without context 8th would be a disappointment but considering this is the 'Newcastle United 23/24 Season sponsored by Siem de Jong' I'd take 7th with a decent cup run (win?).

Marcelino as sleeve sponsor? ☝️

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Willock and Joelinton don’t exist now then? ??‍♂️

Minimum of 6 weeks for Big Joe, so most likely longer knowing our return dates. 

Willock hardly sounds close to returning, either. Still not even running. 

They’re probably going to miss 7 games combined as a minimum and not be anywhere near 100% when they return. 

I'd be quite disappointed with anything below 8th if I'm being brutally honest with myself. (Wouldn't give a flying fuck if we were able to win the FA Cup, like :lol:Probably a bit demanding but a lot of money has been spent on this squad in the last few transfer windows and to go from 4th to between 12th and 9th in the space of a season would be deflating as hell, mitigating circumstances considered. 

3 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

With games in hand and if results don't go out way we could be 12th in February. Pretty grim since we were 5th at end of November IIRC 

Well yeah, but if we can fall we can climb back up. 

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'd be quite disappointed with anything below 8th if I'm being brutally honest with myself. (Wouldn't give a flying fuck if we were able to win the FA Cup, like :lol:Probably a bit demanding but a lot of money has been spent on this squad in the last few transfer windows and to go from 4th to between 12th and 9th in the space of a season would be deflating as hell, mitigating circumstances considered. 

Bottom half finish is failure, for me - it always is for NUFC.

I know everyone talks about ‘the project’, but commercial revenues don’t grow when you’re a mid table side.  And the drop in prize money is significant.  It would put us back a year, comfortably. 

Whatever we do this season is a bonus for me TBH, it really should be a write off with the amount of injuries we’ve had and the way the fixtures at various key moments have landed. 

I think I’m about 5 seasons away from having any kind of expectations for what we ‘should’ be doing :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Whatever we do this season is a bonus for me TBH, it really should be a write off with the amount of injuries we’ve had and the way the fixtures at various key moments have landed. 

I think I’m about 5 seasons away from having any kind of expectations for what we ‘should’ be doing :lol:

Bottom half finishes were failures under Ashley, too.

I’m happy for a five year timeline to be ‘challenging’.  I don’t see why standards get to drop because ‘jam tomorrow’.

And if we have five years of mid table, I wouldn’t worry about challenging.  We won’t have the revenues to compete. 

But I don’t get what that means for right now. I’m saying that this season has been crippled and we have to understand that. 

Whether you want to label it a failure is up to you, each person can make their own decision. For me that’s meaningless unless it says something about our general progress, which IMO it really doesn’t.