The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I know we’ll lose Big Joe for a couple of games soon. But I feel like some of the options and competition for places will help us turn our form around.

Targett, Willock and Bruno hopefully all coming back in the next game or two. With ASM now finding a bit of form and fitness and also Gordon pushing for a start. With hopefully Wilson staying fit and his minutes being managed so he can contribute. Suddenly the squad looks a bit better. 

It might be the spark that we need and also help us stop becoming too predictable. 

I think Liverpool might nip in a take 4th but that’s not at all me throwing the towel in. They just have a better squads and we’re relying on everyone staying fit. I do think win or lose we’ll re focus on the league. I think there’s an argument Targett coming back in to freshen our play up and an extended run in the team together for Bruno, Gordon, Isak could see us pick up again.

Either way it’s still been a great season and I wouldn’t be crying if we finish 5th or 6th. Be disappointing to miss 4th but the league is 38 games not 19 and you have to maintain form right the way through. I think too many were possibly assuming we’d get 4th.

This season has far exceeded my expectation.  Just brillant.

But I like to monitor our top 4 opposition in like-for-like fixtures to see where we are.  If we only look at the points from those games we get :

Man U +12 points on us
Liverpool +3
Spurs -1
Chelsea -4

1 minute ago, CM1961 said:

This season has far exceeded my expectation.  Just brillant.

But I like to monitor our top 4 opposition in like-for-like fixtures to see where we are.  If we only look at the points from those games we get :

Man U +12 points on us
Liverpool +3
Spurs -1
Chelsea -4

Does this include head to heads? If not it should and would be 

Man U +12

Liverpool +9

Spurs -4

Chelsea -7

Yep ... it already includes head to head matches.

Man U +12 points on us
Liverpool +3
Spurs -1
Chelsea -4

Liverpool (our nearest rivals for 4th ?) are away at Palace next.  We drew 0-0 there.

Edited by CM1961

I’d like to get European football next season and I think we will. Probably as a result of Manu getting top 4 and beating us in the final.

I think CL would be a step too far for everyone at this stage. I think a season or 2 with UEFA cup football as we mature into a side who can handle CL group games mid week coupled with high pressure PL games at the weekend will take a bit of time for everyone, players and coaches alike.

50 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I’d like to get European football next season and I think we will. Probably as a result of Manu getting top 4 and beating us in the final.

I think CL would be a step too far for everyone at this stage. I think a season or 2 with UEFA cup football as we mature into a side who can handle CL group games mid week coupled with high pressure PL games at the weekend will take a bit of time for everyone, players and coaches alike.

It’s only the UEFA Conference qualifying round for winning the League Cup. Not even sure it transfers to the losing team. Should the winners already be in a better UEFA competition. 

As far as I can remember you've never got into Europe for losing the League Cup final, regardless of who beats you, and the FA Cup runners up haven't either for a good few years now.

Basically:

5th get's Europa League

FA Cup winners get Europa League

League Cup winners get Europa Conference

6th guarantees you nothing (prior to the cups being sorted)

If League Cup is won by a side who goes on to qualify for Europe in the league then 6th gets Europa Conference (if FA Cup is won by a side not in Europe)

If FA Cup is also won by a side who goes on to qualify for Europe in the league then 6th would become Europa League, and 7th would be Europa Conference

With Man Utd virtually assured of a top 6 finish, if we were to finish 6th (and lose the final) then that would definitely secure some form of European football - Europa if a top team wins the FA Cup, Conference League if a lesser side wins it.

Complicated stuff, but two ways to (effectively) guarantee European football -  win the League cup or finish in the top 6 (taking Man Utd's likely league finish into account), or if we finish 7th and lose the final, hope Man U, Man C, or Spurs win the FA Cup.

Edited by Paullow

We’ve maintained top four form since last January so I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept it going despite looking leggy in recent weeks. In past seasons  that would have been a 5-0 demolition after what happened early on yet we continued to push them. 

Not going to bleat on about it because I’ve mentioned it a few times but always felt not investing in January was a missed opportunity given what we had in front of us. We could have skipped a couple of years development with Champions League money. We still might though. 

13 minutes ago, St1pe said:

We’ve maintained top four form since last January so I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept it going despite looking leggy in recent weeks. In past seasons  that would have been a 5-0 demolition after what happened early on yet we continued to push them. 

Not going to bleat on about it because I’ve mentioned it a few times but always felt not investing in January was a missed opportunity given what we had in front of us. We could have skipped a couple of years development with Champions League money. We still might though. 

I think the club were/are aware of the opportunity to finish 4th this season. Regarding January my guess is the players they wanted weren’t available or they were being quoted absurd prices. In an ideal world players other than Gordon would’ve come in but I imagine they’d have solid reasons why further signings didn’t happen. I don’t think they’ve just thought “let’s chance it”. FFP is an issue they have to be mindful

of too.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Wilson's drop off is bizarre. Not seen him had a run like this in his time here, he just doesn't look confident in front of goal.

I thought he looked good yesterday tbh, played the ball early when offering himself for a pass, and got in on goal when given an opportunity. Howe will play him 100% in the final next week.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Also, we're not playing next weekend and have City away the week after. I hope there's some appreciation we could find ourselves in 5th-6th. 

Had a look at the PL fixtures next week saw there were only 8 matches and had to have a quick think of which other teams weren't playing, and took a good minute for me to realise [emoji38] :doh:

Brighton and Brentford are the two teams with the weekend off, so I guess that does limit the chances of some teams closing in a bit, but aye, chances for others to put a bit of pressure on

8 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I can't believe the owners & Howe have been here just over a year, and we still haven't got a CL standard squad yet.

Absolutely fucking outrageous if we don't finish top 4.

Your having a laugh, We should be at least 6 points clear of Arsenal and on course for a Cup double 

Edited by Choppy Chop Chop
Spelling

23 games played, 15 to go. Only lost 2 league games. Best defence in the league. Goal difference of 20. Still 4th entirely on merit. 

It was never going to be plain sailing was it? It will always be tight to finish in the top 4 but with 15 games left and no distractions after the final next weekend, no European fixtures and FA cup to further exhaust our squad I fancy our chances as much as anyone else's (Tottenham and Liverpool being most likely challengers )

If our bumpy patch involved a few draws and then a loss to Liverpool whilst Bruno was suspended and we can start to pick up again then great. 

We've achieved all of the above despite Isak being injured for most of the season. Gordon ASM and Isak back now. Just needs a few of them to get back into full form and we have a crack. 

I won't be particularly gutted if we just miss out. Phenomenal season all things considered.

Edited by ChrisJbarnes

Just now, Decky said:

Didn’t realise we’re out of the top four if Spurs win today ffs. 

Was going to happen especially given the result yesterday tbf. Including today, Liverpool and Spurs play 3 times before we play a league game that isn't Man City (A).

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Was going to happen especially given the result yesterday tbf. Including today, Liverpool and Spurs play 3 times before we play a league game that isn't Man City (A).

Yeah, just gonna be shit to see us 5th and maybe 6th now if Liverpool keep winning in that scenario. 

I think it's all about the final right now. 

Once that is out the way..win or lose...if we drop to 5th/6th it might actually suit us more to be chasing down 4th rather than trying to hang on to it.

Hopefully more players coming back from injury, so can rotate the 11 more and with no other competitions to distract like some of the other teams, we can give it our all for the remaining games. 

If you look at the top ten teams currently in the league, I reckon all are capable of beating anyone on their day, really strong league this year (second part at least).

Top six would be a great achievement.