The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's what you would expect from these owners, but there's not much they can do if we are restricted to a far smaller budget than our CL rivals, at least the established superpowers. They can still outbid us for the very best players, and without those it takes some pretty special coaching to make up the gap.

Aye. Clearly if we could sign Sadio Mane, Mbappe and the like we would. But FFP doesn’t allow for that. 

Ultimately it is quite clear we are aiming to be at the very top (1st) and with that comes a high level of expecation.  With that also comes the need for sustained and considerable investment and growth both as a team and club, all of which takes time and has been pointed out many, many times already, FFP gets in the way of doing this sooner than the owners might hope.  However, we are clearly very well run and will be pursuing all avenues to make things happen as quickly as possible. 

Expectations might be high, especially after last season and rightly so, but I hope the club and fans remain relaistic as to what is achievable both in terms of team results, and investment. 

Personally, I would think top 6, ideally top 5 would be an incredible achievement this year.  Chelsea and Tottenham are out of Europe and can focus on the league. Liverpool will most likely be in a transition season, but have some great new players that need to gel quickly, so they could be a very strong team this year. Villa look strong, as do Brighton.. So its going to be a very competitive season and possibly one of the most for years.

We have a tough start to the season, and for me that could set the tone as to how we do over the course of the season.  Sure, 4-5 games are not a good indicatior, but if we got say 8-10 points from the first 5 games, things are looking very encouraging..   As Howe has said, we need to make a rapid start and if we can get some decent points before the CL starts, we could have a great season. 

Edited by Dan Gleebals

The aim has to be Champions League qualification again, and to attempt to win a trophy (like last year). I'm sure that's what the team will be targeting.

I wouldn't be disappointed with 7th or thereabouts, as this season could be very competitive at the top. The way last season panned out, it was imperative to finish top 4 as the opportunity was there, it would have been a bit of a crushing blow to falter from the position we got ourselves in, and I'm sure the players would have been more gutted than us as fans if we had blown it. 

I think it's because of how well we did last year that I don't feel we have to do it again. We are heading in the right direction and will keep improving and getting stronger and stronger. Next year is about adjusting to the extra games and expectations and challenges that come with being a top team.

If the chance for a top 4 finish is there to be taken again however, we have to take that chance.

So excited for the coming season. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I don’t think we will get near top 4 this season, but I didn’t last season either. Top 7 the aim imo and I’d be delighted with it.

My thoughts too. Never say never though. We'd need to be lucky with injuries and so on.

Edited by Ikon

Pointless predicting stuff and having expectations before the transfer window is shut like, but we were the 3rd best team in the league for almost half of the season last season. The usual teams will likely improve but there's no guarantees for them just as there aren't any for us.

3rd-6th is my pointless prediction™, though I wouldn't be disappointed as long as we were playing some form of European football in 2024-25.

Last year I said 4th to 10th I think and I was chilled with 10th.

This season I’m revising it to 2nd to 8th (plus at least a quarter final) and I am very chilled with 8th which means no Europe as there will be seasons with teething troubles.

My biggest worry is the media and the idiot but vocal minority of fans if and when we aren’t showing CL or Europa form. The media will immediately go for Howe and try to create a narrative that the job is too big for him. Our board must resist this narrative and ignore the idiot fans that believe it.

I'm not sure on Brighton this season, like. Can see them finishing around 12-13th. There'll be a shock team out of the pack that you wouldn't expect, but can't see past the top 8 being those other 8 on your list. 7th should be 'par' I reckon, that's accounting for one of Spurs or Villa to beat us and even that I don't see this year. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm not sure on Brighton this season, like. Can see them finishing around 12-13th. There'll be a shock team out of the pack that you wouldn't expect, but can't see past the top 8 being those other 8 on your list. 7th should be 'par' I reckon, that's accounting for one of Spurs or Villa to beat us and even that I don't see this year. 

The player churn at Brighton means they are more than good enough for top 9 but they will have weaknesses that prevent the consistent results needed for a table climb

I think we can battle for fifth place this year and maintain the champs league placing and revenue source!!

For the players and any future ones, chamos league is what repositiins us globally.

Anything less than fifth would be a dissapointment, but not the end of the world.

At what point is the decision made about 5th & that qualifying for the Champions League? Surely they can't just make it mid-season (obviously given previously UEFA exploits they probably will).

26 minutes ago, James said:

If Kane goes I couldn’t rule out Spurs getting relegated this season.

I mean, aye, they’ve been relying on him massively, but still, relegated? Howay man.

1 hour ago, James said:

I don't know if your comment is tongue in cheek, but they will use the Kane money to buy another striker, maybe even two players. They aren't going to get relegated man, they might have a season treading water, but the sale will put them in a far healthier position long term.

I think we’ve got a really good collection of players, a superb manager, and a unified club.

I think we can get top four and win a trophy.  100%.  I don’t necessarily think we will.

And I love that feeling being back again.  I’m excited for what might happen, but hopefully realistic in not thinking that hopes don’t equal expectations.

Don't get how Villa are now this feared wrecking force who are going to finish above us. Also Liverpool, a new midfield and still the same defensive issues as previous couple of seasons. 

We are notoriously hard to beat and we have improved with some quality signings and the young prospects stepping up. I think top 5 is a high probability 

21 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Don't get how Villa are now this feared wrecking force who are going to finish above us. Also Liverpool, a new midfield and still the same defensive issues as previous couple of seasons. 

We are notoriously hard to beat and we have improved with some quality signings and the young prospects stepping up. I think top 5 is a high probability 

Villa had a good spell from when Emery took over in November.  From that day Villa were the 5th best team in the league acquiring 49 points vs 47 acquired by Newcastle (in 6th).  They have also recruited very well in this window with Diaby, Pau Torres and Tielemans.  I think people are just recognizing that they have a proper setup now and will push for top 6.  Still think we will finish above them.

4 hours ago, James said:

Howe made a relegation squad that was way worse than what Spurs have even without Kane a CL team in one season. People shouldn’t write them off after one bad season with a manager who didn’t want to be there.

1 hour ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Liverpools biggest issue was the midfield and a lack of legs. They’ve solved that.  

Villa under Emery matched us for points. And they’ve strengthened considerably. And their European adventures are likely to be less arduous. I don’t expect they finish above us but I wouldn’t be surprised. 

We had the most players with 2000+ minutes in the league last year. We’ve only added 1 body and so far look heavily reliant on that small group of players. 3 of which are 30+.