The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Some very reasonable responses on here which I've thoroughly enjoyed reading.

It amazes me how people are so quick to jump on EH back when the greatest managers of our time were made EXACTLY like this. 

Honestly, Eddie will be renowned as the best manager in the world at some stage. The sheer hard work and relentlessness of him is what will set him apart from his competitors. I see Pep in him, albeit much more reserved and put together. But the obsession is real and it is what will make him absolutely quality. 

5 hours ago, Kanji said:

I would like to see the gamesmanship return mind you. The random “injury” in the first or second half to give Howe 2 mins to speak to his players. The shithousing to slow the opposition down, etc. it seems like we’ve been playing to be liked the last 3 matches versus the mantra of last season — “we are not here to be liked; we are here to compete” 

Can’t do that now unless we want a player off the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds 

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Can’t do that now unless we want a player off the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds 

Ahh ok, they made some rules to battle this, didn't know exactly. 

35 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Ahh ok, they made some rules to battle this, didn't know exactly. 

Aye, basically if you get treatment you have to go off for a minimum of 30 seconds, unless it’s from a foul that resulted in a card.

Not sure how that works when it’s a keeper mind…

I’m still assuming are aiming for a top six season and have used a way of gauging when we will, on average, pick-up the 61 points likely to be required (average for PL).

Categorising  the teams (mainly on last season’s position) into four tiers and predicting we will pick-up (rounded-up) 9pts from T1 (all tiers ten games except 8 in Tier 1), 16 pts from Tier 2, 18pts from T3, and 19pts from T4 teams. Taking into account the ‘tier’ of the team we play, and whether home or away, and breaking down into the different months the points should be picked-up like shown in the chart below (will be clearer   once we’re a few months in).

IMG_7078.thumb.jpeg.718058e6b01d160a42798ab13740e457.jpeg

Basically, we should have had 4 points end of August, 11 points end of September, and 16 points by end of October, 21 end of November etc. (I need to check & adjust if games have been moved to a different month). 

Is there any reason why this isn't a "Topfiveometer" given that chances are that (a) that will be CL, and (b) even if it isn't it would still be huge given the extra games etc.? 

Don't want to mess up the maths obviously if someone has put the effort in to already set this up, but give how the season has started and how other clubs have looked, I don't think there is anyone other than Man City who look clearly ahead of us - it looks like Man City nailed on, Arsenal probably still a step above, but Man U, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, Brighton, Chelsea, Brighton, West Ham have looked round about the same level or lower given what we have seen so far. League of 9 for 3 CL spaces after City and Arsenal seems a reasonable upper-end target?

Obviously if we win the CL with a domestic cup thrown in, I'd happily accept top 8 as a reasonable achievement. Priorities.  

Both Lille & Osasuna were knocked out of Conference League tonight.

That means there is a club less from both France and Spain to gain coefficient points this season, which would go towards getting an extra Champions League place.

If we do finish in the top 2 of our group, it would mean that we gain some coefficient over at least 2/3 teams from France, Italy, and Germany, with 1 of those going out of Europe altogether.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

This next run of fixtures Brentford (h), Sheff United (a), Burnley (h), West Ham (a), Palace (h), Wolves (a) will give us a good idea of where we're at.

9 point from the next three should be on the cards

Let see if we are capable of a clean sheet also. Been a long time

Edited by nufc123

Early days but looks like Liverpool will be top 4, chelsea are miles off and both us and ManU struggling a little for form.

if Spurs continue as are then they should make up the 4 but it remains to be seen if this is a flashy run or a sign of things to come.

Dont see Villa being consistent enough and Europe will distract Brighton.

so basically if we get our ass in gear quick smart then there’s an open slot, but the same can be said for Ten Hags motley crew

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Early days but looks like Liverpool will be top 4, chelsea are miles off and both us and ManU struggling a little for form.

if Spurs continue as are then they should make up the 4 but it remains to be seen if this is a flashy run or a sign of things to come.

Dont see Villa being consistent enough and Europe will distract Brighton.

so basically if we get our ass in gear quick smart then there’s an open slot, but the same can be said for Ten Hags motley crew

Not fancying West Ham?

Aye, reckon City, Arsenal, Liverpool will take 3 spots this season. Assuming 5th gets CL this year, there's 2 spots to share between us, Spurs, Chelsea and Man U, with only Spurs having started well.

Those comparisons to last year's fixtures make the last couple weeks a little easier to take. Brentford already feels like a massive game though.