The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I realise this isn't the time, but God if we could have turned Everton and Luton into wins...

We can do this. We shouldn't rule it out until it's mathematically impossible. There's a reason Postecoglu and Maddison looked despondent today.

If we win our next two and they those theirs then the pressure is very much on. Having said that, despite their tough schedule 20p is probably too much. Anything can happen in football though. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Europe has to be the target, 4th is crazy talk at this point.  Finishing 7th or above would be a real achievement. 

At this point, I would agree. I have no doubt Eddie can make that happen.

Just now, The Prophet said:

If it wasn't for thr injuries I have no doubt we'd be in the top four again.

Wholeheartedly agree. Given even moderate luck with injuries and suspensions we'd be at least 8-10 points better off. 

But you have to play the hand you're dealt and these things happen. We've struggled a lot at times but no reason we can't make a decent fist of the last 6 games - 14 points would be amazing

How many points were Liverpool behind us this time last season? They weren’t too far from catching us. Not that I think we will catch spurs tbh. Nothing is impossible though, so never say never. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

How many points were Liverpool behind us this time last season? They weren’t too far from catching us. Not that I think we will catch spurs tbh. Nothing is impossible though, so never say never. 

Just had a quick look. After 32 games Liverpool were 9 points behind us.

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

If it wasn't for the injuries this season, I have no doubt we'd be in the top four again.

We went something like 26 points from 14 games and have now done 21 from the last 11. In between we lost 6 out of 7, and only got 3 points.

That seven game nightmare started when the ball slid under Trippier's foot against Everton. I thought we were on top in that game and half expected to go on and win it. A Trippier error also cost us in the Carabao.

During those games we underperformed xG for by five goals and also let in four or five more than xG against. We also had some phenomenal misses during that time, Gordon squaring it to Isak at 0-0 at Spurs and the Almiron one cleared by Tomori in the CL about one yard out. Stuff wasn't going our way on top of the injuries.

Spurs still to play Man City too. They are catchable if we play like to did yesterday 

Edited by gdm

I predict something very special next year.

It will only get better.

Tonali back, a couple of quality signings and of course, fewer injuries.

The bookies now have us and Man Utd pretty much level in terms of top 6 chances, with us a very slight fave at some places - it looks like it will come down to the Old Trafford match. They have 4 matches at home, we have 4 matches away, and while not guaranteed, their next 2 league fixtures are Sheff Utd (H) and Burnley (H), so despite them being awful, it would be a surprise if they didn't take 6 points from those. We will be favourites to win every individual remaining match, bar Man Utd (A), but our away record is pretty poor, even before the mass injuries, and we've lost 9 of our 16 matches on the road. 

Based on fixtures, and them being at home in the big one, I do expect them to unfortunately pip us, but I certainly didn't expect us to be within reach of 6th when 1-3 down with 10 mins to go vs West Ham.

image.thumb.png.42b6dd77dd62fa3e3f81ffd83e27fe11.png

I notice that for the man united games they play Arsenal just a few days before, and we have an extra days recovery than them going into that fixture. That could give us an edge and help us get a result. 

Avoid defeat in that fixture and match their results with our easier fixtures and we should finish 6th 

As it's in may, theres hope of more players being back and options from the bench 

I'm excited that we can do it. Even if we don't, the excitement of having something to play for is great 

40 minutes ago, ChrisJbarnes said:

As it's in may, theres hope of more players being back and options from the bench 

That's our hope as well to be fair. To not have almost every first choice defender on the injury table. :lol:

3 hours ago, gdm said:

Spurs still to play Man City too. They are catchable if we play like to did yesterday 

And Sheff Utd and Burnley in their last two games. If we were 5 or 6 pts behind we'd have a chance, but not 10.

I am sure Eddie will have the players believing that they can close the gap and although we will probably fall short, if we aim for 4th/5th instead of looking over our shoulders then hopefully we can secure 6th or 7th and get back into Europe.

Definitely think there's an outside chance we catch one or even both, I'll take any kind of European football after the season we had but if we actually did this it would be completely insane. 

Screenshot_20240414_140929_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm going to be cursing that Everton result until the end of time. With the respective fixtures we have, we'd have had a canny prospect of catching Tottenham. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC