The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

We need Man U to falter. I’m fairly sure Spurs won’t make top 4 this season but Man U look like they will currently. They keep grinding out results when not playing particularly well but they’re only to get more confident and better organised under Ten Hag. Rashford coming into form is the danger 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

We need Man U to falter. I’m fairly sure Spurs won’t make top 4 this season but Man U look like they will currently. They keep grinding out results when not playing particularly well but they’re only to get more confident and better organised under Ten Hag. Rashford coming into form is the danger 

Man City and Arsenal next for them. If they get 3 or more points they'll end up finishing 3rd I reckon.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Man City and Arsenal next for them. If they get 3 or more points they'll end up finishing 3rd I reckon.

It's 3 absolute max from those two games. :lol:City will tank us.

Its the four very winnable games after City and Arsenal that will define the season. We could lose both of those but if we win the next four we're right back on track. 

Feels like this could be the most important period to define how this season goes. 

Our fixtures look favourable but hopefully fatigue/injuries don't impact us too much and we can keep up the same levels we have set so far. 

All I’m hoping for is that we can continue to perform consistently even if there’s a loss or draw here and there. IF we make it to the CL then that’s a stunning achievement. If we don’t make it and end up in say 6th position then it’s still been an amazing season. We are a work in progress and it will take time to build up a top quality 11, never mind squad. If we are lucky with injuries and can get a couple of really good players then there is a massive chance to make it tbh.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

It's 3 absolute max from those two games. :lol:City will tank us.

Its the four very winnable games after City and Arsenal that will define the season. We could lose both of those but if we win the next four we're right back on track. 

I reckon 3 or more and you're pretty nailed on for 3rd sorry. We could realistically have a 4-6 point gap after those two with a pretty nice run of games ourselves. If you lose them both then you're still obviously in the running for it and probably favourites but get a win in those two and you'll piss it.

16 hours ago, Elliottman said:

Well … yes of course, if you lost 1 and drew 37 it wouldn’t be a great. 

Was pointing out though that the one loss so far puts us in a great position for the second half of the season if we can make a couple of quality additions to turn draws to wins. 

But we have 35 points from 18. We need to get 35 points from the next 20 to have a good chance of top 4. 

We are in a good (but not great) position for top 4. Any kind of drop-off will mean we won't get it.

Arsenal are in a great position for top 4. They could have a fairly poor second half of the season... 30 points in 20 games which is Europa League form and still finish in the top 4.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Who do we want to win tonight then...?

If Chelsea do, both them and Liverpool are 5 points behind with a game in hand. If City win, 4 points clear of us with a game in hand.

Definitely not Chelsea winning. I think Man City winning is best for Newcastle, as their results won't really impact Newcastle finishing in the top 4, or even top 6, whereas Chelsea's will a lot more.

It would be nice visually to be still in touch with City at this stage, so a draw would be OK, and it would also keep the title race with Arsenal more interesting, but realistically, we're not going to finish above them, whereas we absolutely can finish above Chelsea, and we certainly don't want them getting a shock result this evening to potentially be the catalyst to getting something going.

I'd probably want Arsenal to win the league, so a draw would help more there, but from a pure Newcastle perspective, the more favourable outcome surely has to be a Man City win. 

11 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Who do we want to win tonight then...?

If Chelsea do, both them and Liverpool are 5 points behind with a game in hand. If City win, 4 points clear of us with a game in hand.

7 with a game in hand

Definitely want a City win

Mind, it's lovely to be in a position of watching a big televised match between two top sides who have had a lot of success these past 15-20 years and actually wondering what outcome is best for Newcastle United. 

We've obviously had this before in the Keegan and Robson PL years, but pretty much never for 20 years, bar that one Parted season at an absolute push.

4 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Let’s face it, we won’t finish above Man City. So a Man City win all the way tonight.

Yeah let Man City steam ahead like we know they will.

An outside title charge is fun to dream of and all but we're fighting for 3rd/4th and I think I can just about accept that for our first full season out of the Bruce/Ashley shadow. :lol:

5 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Probably not what he was but still their best centre half youd say. Think that ACL injury has done him though. 

Its more how much worse they’ll be without him.

Matip and Konate aren’t on the same level.