The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 hours ago, Joey47 said:

Might be best that we don’t qualify for Europe after watching that. Might stretch us too thin next season and leave us in the shit.

I get the argument, but it's definitely wrong. No doubt it'll pose big challenges to us, though. I don't mean it ominously, but it's one thing Howe genuinely hasn't dealt with before, either.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I get the argument, but it's definitely wrong. No doubt it'll pose big challenges to us, though. I don't mean it ominously, but it's one thing Howe genuinely hasn't dealt with before, either.

I’m sure Eddie will  relish the challenge :indi:

3 hours ago, Joey47 said:

I understand the flip side as well. Just that I’ve seen clubs like Leicester and West Ham have really good seasons, qualify for Europe and then make a mess of both Europe and the league the next season. 

I still really hope we get top 4 though.

They both managed good seasons the first time they qualified for the Europa

It’s funny. People hated this Pardew logic when we would definitely not strengthen adequately. But now we will actually strengthen adequately people are peddling Pardew logic unprovoked.  

10 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I’m sure Eddie will  relish the challenge :indi:

Definitely. To be clear, what I mean is that even if we didn't cover ourselves in glory in our debut season, I'm sure it'll be very educational for him and everyone else at the club.

We need at least another decent centre forward too, Wilson can't be relied on and I'm unsure on isak after his latest time out.

Think I'd prefer uefa cup playing teams around the level your'd think we could compete with, cl teams would crush us with without doing Chelsea/city style spending regarding ffp

I think by the time the season is done we will miss out on top 4, and there will be elements calling it a go failure that Howe needs to answer for.

But we lack the depth to properly go for it, couple of injuries in the midfield or defense and we will see the drop in quality in the squad again.  

Making Europe at any level will be brilliant though, increased quality of sponsors that will jump on the bandwagon, more appeal for players to join us. The club will be aware that the squad will need alot of improvement to compete ok all fronts and I feel will go through with it as well. It's really such an exciting time for the club.

27 minutes ago, astraguy said:

We need at least another decent centre forward too, Wilson can't be relied on and I'm unsure on isak after his latest time out.

Think I'd prefer uefa cup playing teams around the level your'd think we could compete with, cl teams would crush us with without doing Chelsea/city style spending regarding ffp

Unsure on Isak?

5 minutes ago, LV said:

I think he means he’s unsure as to whether Isak can stay fit. 

He’s had one injury. Alright it took significantly longer to recover from than initially hoped, but seems a bit OTT to be worrying about his long-term fitness.

*and just for (a somewhat pointless) comparison, Haaland started 21 out 34 Bundesliga games last season.

Edited by SteV

24 minutes ago, SteV said:

He’s had one injury. Alright it took significantly longer to recover from than initially hoped, but seems a bit OTT to be worrying about his long-term fitness.

*and just for (a somewhat pointless) comparison, Haaland started 21 out 34 Bundesliga games last season.

I've stated this a few times the last couple of weeks, that Isak's injury was very similar to Stewart at the mackems, and look how long he was out for. 

Not saying this at all in a negative way, but I think this is when our league position begins to slide. Top 4 is probably punching after only over a year of new ownership, though I think we've got here deservedly, I think our squad issues will begin to show. Which is totally fair. No ones fault (other than Ashley).

Again, I'm fucking thrilled with how it's going. 

I've always been targeting top 6. Top 6 always has sounded significant - you look at oddschecker and there will be 'top 6' odds. I often use our 8 top 6 PL finishes as a way to differentiate ourselves from some of the other more significant non 'big 6' sides (and emphasise the 7 before Ashley took over...), whereas I never bother with the late run to 7th when Bramble scored that goal to secure the Intertoto place.

If we finish 6th then one at least one of the aforementioned more established sides will have finished below us, and it will still have been a great, better than expected season, definitely above par, and will almost certainly result in a return to some sort of European competition next season - it will be bloody unlucky if both cups are won by midtable sides and it only goes down to 5th in the league.

We are certainly where we are on merit. We have the clear 3rd best GD in the league, 5 wins by 3 or more goals which is incredible, only one defeat, and we are obviously very strong at the back. That said, we're not even half way through the league campaign, still have 20 PL matches to play, and as we saw last night, the squad depth is extremely shallow - a couple of key injuries, a drop in level of players we're not used to performing how they have been, and we could be quickly surpassed by 2, 3 or even 4 clubs who are generally so much further ahead of us (where they are as clubs) and can call upon far more resources when things get tough. Linekar said last night that yesterday was the 17th match in a row where we have kept a clean sheet at HT, which is crazy, and while we don't often fall behind in matches, we haven't won in any of the 5 matches where we have been behind (at some point) this season.

Obviously still hope we can finish as high as we can and continue this amazing season, and will still hope Man Utd and Liverpool drop points wherever possible to perhaps get over the line in the top 4 race, but I'll primarily be looking out for Spurs', and more specifically, Chelsea's fortunes going forward, and if we can finish 5th or 6th and above one or two of them, then that will definitely do me for this season.

Just now, Likelylad said:

Couldn’t agree more. I thought Europe was a must this season and I think we’ll achieve it. Never thought we’d be in the conversation for top 4, so let’s just enjoy the ride. 

Why is Europe a must, out of interest?

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

Not saying this at all in a negative way, but I think this is when our league position begins to slide. Top 4 is probably punching after only over a year of new ownership, though I think we've got here deservedly, I think our squad issues will begin to show. Which is totally fair. No ones fault (other than Ashley).

Again, I'm fucking thrilled with how it's going. 

Could be. It's why I've held off getting too much into the will we-won't we of top 4 etc. Always believed we could get top 4, but always knew a huge amount of circumstance and luck would come into it also. There's just such a big gap between our first and second elevens, and our first eleven is having to work at maximum capacity.

Like you, either way, this season has been magnificent so far, for me. Partly now I think one of our challenges will be expectation management, because it's very easy to get carried away with how well things have been going overall.

If we don't make the top four ironically it'll be because of the money Liverpool and Chelsea have spent this window/season.

Its so unfair and all about the money as I recall.

Edited by Jonas

42 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Why is Europe a must, out of interest?

Just my opinion like but we finished 10th last season and have substantially invested in the team. I think the optics would be bad for future signings. Even Europa Conference would do but to drive forward the project we need some semblance of European footy. 

Edited by Likelylad

14 hours ago, astraguy said:

I know the game has moved on quite quickly since then and I remember a lot of it being down to Bale being unstoppable most weeks. 

But Spurs did well in the CL and had some great results when they first got in. I remember them being good and exciting to watch. But not great.

We have shown we can mix it with top teams at times in the league and it is early on with the new owners and Howe. 

We’ll be strengthening in the summer, either way. But getting the CL would just fast track it and hopefully open up the market to a different level of player. 

The same can be said for the Europa, to a lesser degree. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

53 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I don’t think a loss away to Sheff Wed with a massively changed line up has any bearing on where we finish. EH is a mentality monster, we’ll keep getting better.

Not even sure why this thread has been bumped after yesterday, totally irrelevant. 

FWIW, my bump to this thread wasn't really related to yesterdays loss. Just been thinking over the past week or so, that I could see our point accumulation slowing and others around us speeding up. 

Hopefully my gut feeling is wrong.