Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

That's an opinion presented as a fact.

Stop the clock when the game stops and you remove as much human error (bias) as possible. 

As is always pointed put when this is brought up, 'time wasting' is more about stopping momentum than wasting time. Stopping the clock would be completely impractical for travelling fans as well 

41 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

As is always pointed put when this is brought up, 'time wasting' is more about stopping momentum than wasting time. Stopping the clock would be completely impractical for travelling fans as well 

In theory they should be adding time equal to the stoppages but I suppose in practice it isn't 1 for 1 in minutes.

I'm all for getting as much play time as possible but I really hope there are no major changes related to the clock. One of the great things about football is the predictability of knowing it's going to be over within 2 hours of kickoff, while pretty much every other sport takes 3-4 hours to get through.

Newcastle spend money for the first time in over a decade. 

Everyone: BRING IN RULES TO STOP THE SPENDING! 

Newcastle start to shit house. 

Everyone: CHANGE THE RULES OF TIME MANAGEMENT! 

Why does it always feel like we're the only club people take issue with when we do what most other clubs have been doing since forever?

Everyone can fuck off. 

Just now, Wilson said:

Why does it always feel like we're the only club people take issue with when we do what most other clubs have been doing since forever?

Everyone can fuck off. 

Big 6 elitism/plutocracy lending weight to entitlement. The clubs and fans of those clubs whinge that they can't just walk through a side like us who've frequently rolled over and took a beating when playing these sides, especially away from home. Look at the absolute state of them all after we've played them and after last night; especially Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool.

The ultimate issue isn’t about time wasting, it’s about disruption of play. So instead of having a bunch of added time to add on, you could go for a kind of shot clock idea for throw ins, walking off the field, corners etc. and if teams go over the ball goes to the other side.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Time wasting is used both for wasting time and stopping momentum, but I take your point. Not entirely sure what the second point is, something to do with what time the game finishes? 

I think it’s worth exploring because I think it’s a route to fairer outcomes, that’s all. 

Edited by Dr Venkman

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Time wasting is used both for wasting time and stopping momentum, but I take your point. Not entirely sure what the second point is, something to do with what time the game finishes? 

Presumably because you’d never be sure what time the game finishes.

17 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Everyone can fuck off. 

I think it feels like that to us because we follow everything NUFC related very closely.

Just now, AJ9 said:

I see. That’s a fair point but with careful implementation you’d be able to get it pretty reliable. There’s no reason there can’t be a time limit on throw ins, corners, free kicks etc. it would actually keep the game flowing really nicely if done right.

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think it’s worth exploring because I think it’s a route to fairer outcomes, that’s all. 

Pretty much yeah. You'd be looking at matches lasting 2.5 hours and over, but without having a defined end time.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pretty much yeah. You'd be looking at matches lasting 2.5 hours and over, but without having a defined end time.

Would you? Why? 30 minutes per half?

The major flaw is something no-one had mentioned yet. Too difficult to embed at all levels of football.

12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think it feels like that to us because we follow everything NUFC related very closely.

Possibly, I don't remember ever seeing so much clammer for new sponsorship rules, FB & twitter awash with how many minutes the ball was in play etc previously.... but could well be because I was numb to it all. 

16 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

How can you be sure now? You have no idea how much added time there will be. Only thing I can think is they leave out lots of stoppage time otherwise there would be zero difference.

I missed that Joelinton header last night. Christ add that to hitting the woodwork at Old Trafford and it could been even better for us.

I quite enjoy some good timewasting/shithousing tactics. Used to love Atletico doing it to the big boys in their prime in the champions league and seeing it all boil over and kick off near the end of games. 

Ultimately it's just upto the refs to add on an appropriate amount of time and make sure teams don't take the piss too much. There's no need for stopclock shite added to the game. 

34 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I see. That’s a fair point but with careful implementation you’d be able to get it pretty reliable. There’s no reason there can’t be a time limit on throw ins, corners, free kicks etc. it would actually keep the game flowing really nicely if done right.

Great in theory but when was the last time you saw a keeper penalised for the 6 second rule?

31 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I missed that Joelinton header last night. Christ add that to hitting the woodwork at Old Trafford and it could been even better for us.

Rashford should have won it at OT to be fair.

51 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Would you? Why? 30 minutes per half?

The major flaw is something no-one had mentioned yet. Too difficult to embed at all levels of football.

Last night the ball was in play for 50 minutes, that's an extra 40 minutes of added time, 30 if you reduce matches to 80 minutes. More extreme matches could easily add an additional hour in stopped time, 15 minutes for half time.

Imagine trying to book train or coach tickets and the window for full time is anything from 5pm to 6:15pm 

Edited by Kid Icarus

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Last night the ball was in play for 50 minutes, that's an extra 40 minutes of added time, 30 if you reduce matches to 80 minutes. More extreme matches could easily add an additional hour in stopped time, 15 minutes for half time.

Imagine trying to book train or coach tickets and the window for full time is anything from 5pm to 6:15pm 

Also a huge pain in the arse from a policing/safety standpoint, as well as TV scheduling. Basically it should be a non starter.

21 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Yeah that was a hell of a chance, same with wood.

He was miles offside. Lino raised his flag after he fucked his pass up. 

If Chris Wood is that far clear and in on goal. You can get your mortgage on him being offside.

Need Isak back and Wilson managed with his games so he can stay fit as an option. Starting and off the bench. Wood is absolutely hopeless.