Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Everyone is to blame in part, but you can't claim we weren't the main contributor :lol: WC added time or stopping the clock when ball is out of play would easily fix the issue in a more fair way.

It absolutely wouldn’t.

I’m hating this clamour for a stop clock, next we’ll be introducing time outs so that Sky can get those adverts in.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I’ve seen those ‘shocking’ ball in play minutes a few times for us this season but aren’t they basically the average time? :lol:

Xhaka would have walked if it wasn’t for Marley letting Burn off with a professional foul in the first half imo, it was a similar challenge, should have been a yellow but he’d just given out 3-4 cards so let a few go.

Can’t stand the stopwatch nerds either. When has there ever been a game with the ball in play for 90 mins? Why has this become such a thing? Maybe we should forget freekicks and play our home games at goals.

11 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I’ve seen those ‘shocking’ ball in play minutes a few times for us this season but aren’t they basically the average time? :lol:

Xhaka would have walked if it wasn’t for Marley letting Burn off with a professional foul in the first half imo, it was a similar challenge, should have been a yellow but he’d just given out 3-4 cards so let a few go.

Last season, effective playing time dropped to its lowest level in the Premier League since the 2010-11 season, with just 55 minutes and seven seconds of action, on average.

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Last season, effective playing time dropped to its lowest level in the Premier League since the 2010-11 season, with just 55 minutes and seven seconds of action, on average.

This sounds bad on the surface but you're talking about a 1/2 minute variance at most. La Liga is the worst of all leagues for in-play time, iirc, at about 51 mins when you'd think it'd be the best considering the possession approach. It's not abnormal in football.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

1 hour ago, Ste said:

For me, Arteta cost his side a win with his touchline antics. Their heads completely went, couldn’t imagine playing for a manager that allows the occasion and not the game to become his sole focus. When they needed coaching and guidance, he was making himself the main character while Howe constantly gave feedback and made subtle changes. They’ll make it all about Newcastle managing the game and manufacturing their time to take the foot off the pedal, but Arteta badly let his team down. 

Looked like a right arsehole didn’t he? Inability to control his own emotions/manage the stress (poor dimdums…) of not being able to win every single game you play, certainly wouldn’t have been helpful for his people on the pitch, the ones with a chance of actually determining how the game pans out. He wasn’t ‘motivating’ just emoting. Should be feeling embarrassed today more than aggrieved (…won’t be). 

Once we've upgraded the squad there'll be less need for shit housing (at least as much as we do at the minute), for now I'm loving it. 

Shit house our way to some kind of success ahead of schedule, before everyone can blame it solely on spending power.  Glorious. 

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

This is exactly why I couldn't be mad at Leeds doing what they needed to against ourselves.

They're just fucked off because they didn't actually create a hell of a lot even though they were so dominant, a frustrating night for them.

At least with Leeds we forged our chances we just let ourselves down at the final hurdle. Leeds sniffed the potential for a draw considering we were wearing clown shoes that day and they adjusted accordingly.

No different to us last night against a free flowing arsenal.

We had a ton of chances against Leeds as you say, last night Arsenal had 1 chance the entire match, just as we did.

I know people (often me included) don't like XG, but it tells you the story of both games

Newcastle 2.49 Leeds 0.5

Arsenal 1.2 Newcastle 1.1

Edited by Kid Icarus

27 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It absolutely wouldn’t.

I’m hating this clamour for a stop clock, next we’ll be introducing time outs so that Sky can get those adverts in.

The very reason there won’t be a stop clock is the TV companies program and  advert schedules. That’s why it tailed off in the World Cup fairly quickly as the TV companies were having to reduce analysis etc to ensure next show ran on schedule. Wasn’t the first few games in the WC averaging around 15-20mins of stoppage time 🙂

43 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think Howe said this fixture would be an examination of how far we've come. Basically, we're bloody immense defensively when we get set, but we have a lot to work on going forward still.

For me, the midfield balance against these sorts of teams still doesn't feel consistently right and that sets the tone going forward. I thought Longstaff was anonymous going forward & back, Bruno had moments but struggled to find space while having to sit deeper, Willock improved but his best moments came when drifting out wide rather than making things happen through the middle. 

I think what we saw last night is that we need to have Bruno as an 8 against these type of teams with a real mobile / strong holding midfielder taking that position. Against lesser sides Bruno is fine there. Alternatively having another high quality midfielder who can play the ball is crucial for us. Willock and Longstaff are good in their roles but are not the best in controlling the game through passing. 

Not sure if mentioned but I watched on Optus sports and I'm sure they kept turning the sound down on our fans you could barely hear them all night. Yet half hearted arsenal songs were cranked up to the max. One moment we started singing loud and he must have forgot to turn the dial down or something then realised and it went from like 100% down to 3% in an instant. :lol:

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Not sure if mentioned but I watched on Optus sports and I'm sure they kept turning the sound down on our fans you could barely hear them all night. Yet half hearted arsenal songs were cranked up to the max. One moment we started singing loud and he must have forgot to turn the dial down or something then realised and it went from like 100% down to 3% in an instant. :lol:

Gunneredia

33 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Sorry if this has been posted, but it great... marking or defending against good players 'against the spririt of the game' now, apparently..

;D

Is this a spoof account? Incredible take :lol: "Whilst not necessarily illegal to tackle our players and stop them scoring, it's against the spirit of the game".

14 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

It certainly didn't sound loud from the away end last night on TV. Anyone there who can tell me that's bollocks and it was very loud please? :)

11 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Is this a spoof account? Incredible take :lol: "Whilst not necessarily illegal to tackle our players and stop them scoring, it's against the spirit of the game".

Aye, on further reading its either a parody account, or the poster has an unhealthy obsession with PGMOL and Andy Madley.

That thread has quite the breakdown on why Madley was biased against Arsenal last night.

:icon_scratch:

Edited by TK-421