Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, AJ9 said:

The ultimate issue isn’t about time wasting, it’s about disruption of play. So instead of having a bunch of added time to add on, you could go for a kind of shot clock idea for throw ins, walking off the field, corners etc. and if teams go over the ball goes to the other side.

This is the solution, you win a corner you have 30/45 seconds to take it or its a goal kick. Throw in you have 10/15 seconds etc. Same for goal kicks, you have 30 seconds, take too long oppo gets a corner etc. Team are currently playing to the rules, football seems to be the only sport that doesn't keep on top of things with updating its rules. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Last night the ball was in play for 50 minutes, that's an extra 40 minutes of added time, 30 if you reduce matches to 80 minutes. More extreme matches could easily add an additional hour in stopped time, 15 minutes for half time.

Imagine trying to book train or coach tickets and the window for full time is anything from 5pm to 6:15pm 

I’m not seeing how 2 x 30 minute halves turns into a 2.5 hour game but at this point, who cares.

13 minutes ago, Adam said:

This is the solution, you win a corner you have 30/45 seconds to take it or its a goal kick. Throw in you have 10/15 seconds etc. Same for goal kicks, you have 30 seconds, take too long oppo gets a corner etc. Team are currently playing to the rules, football seems to be the only sport that doesn't keep on top of things with updating its rules. 

Fantastic idea !!

21 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Wilson was a decent chance also 

Yeah I know, we could have won that, imagine Arteta or Ty if we had.  Also the pundits would all be saying we can win the league.  I don't think we can, not with the current squad.  I think we can finish top 4 with Isak coming back and 1 or 2 additions.  Everyone forgets we've done all this without our 60M striker who looked class when he played.

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I’m not seeing how 2 x 30 minute halves turns into a 2.5 hour game but at this point, who cares.

Eh? :lol:

I didn't say 2 x 30 minutes like, but I meant additional time. Matches already last 1hr 45+ minutes with the half time break, if you're stopping the clock when the ball isn't in play it'll easily get to 2hr 30 minutes in real time

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Eh? :lol:

I didn't say 2 x 30 minutes like, but I meant additional time. Matches already last 1hr 45+ minutes with the half time break, if you're stopping the clock when the ball isn't in play it'll easily get to 2hr 30 minutes in real time

I said 2 x 30 mins! [emoji38] 

Put appropriate time limits on stoppages to keep it under 2 hours allowing for half time. It can be done.

7 hours ago, Dandy Man said:

This new found obsession with scientific time keeping is a bit tiresome. Stopping the clock when ball is out of play will change very little in terms of game flowing, teams will still manufacture stoppages to take a breather and regroup - it might actually be worse if there is reduced urgency to restart play (on account of clock being stopped)

Bingo. It will actively incentivise putting the ball out of play for offensive purposes.

The game would become more like American Football, with teams looking to advance the ball up the pitch X amount of yards as time-efficiently as possible, while utilising set routines to execute play resumptions and create the next stoppages.

Meanwhile, defense would be about intricate, risk-minimising passing routines designed to eat up seconds and minutes - speculative breaks up the pitch would be foolish.

As proven by VAR, be careful what you wish for. Football is in the business of entertainment, not fairness.

That said, I'm all for referees policing unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't like the dark arts of throwing the ball away etc. But the idea we've just invented it is too ludicrous for words, we're just catching up with 25 years of Arsenal and others' cheating. It's funny their supporters have forgotten how dirty, violent and underhanded their only really dominant team in 80 years was in the 2000s.

Think we are trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. 

90 minute games have never involved 90 mins of in play or anywhere close to it. 

I do think referees need to be more firmer when it comes to time wasting. Waiting until the 90th minute to book a keeper for taking the piss is pointless. 

I also think teams should be allowed to take free kicks (throw ins and corners too) as soon as they are given, I often see a ref give a free kick and then he indicates to wait for the whistle. He then wastes time with his spray and setting the 10 yards. 

This is a pointless subject. The only rule that should be implemented is no added time at all. If a team spends 90 minutes hacking the ball into touch so be it. It's not like time wasting is a relatively new scenario. Players consistently go down faking injury to give team mates a chance to have a breather because they are under the cosh, and then score a winner in the time added on by the ref for that time wasting.

2 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Looked good in the highlights. Although obviously mainly showing newcastle. 

but oh my good god. Why the fuck did we sign wood. 

Do you really need that explaining still? 

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

It's already our longest ever unbeaten PL run in a single season, but over two seasons it's 14 (last few games of 2010-11 and then the unbeaten start to 2011-12). Longest run ever full stop is 17 in 2009-10 but that was in the Championship. The Fulham game will be tough, but we should be looking to break that given our next 4.

12 minutes ago, Cronky said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCr92e5VM4E

I thought this was great. After so many years of being laughed at, it's so good that we're making them angry.

What an insufferable arsehole that Ty is. What is he going on about?

"You haven't won anything in 55 years, how can you be an expert?" Idiot man.

Edited by TheGuv

Burns shirt pull - No different to when Longstaff got tugged back vs Wolves

If any team should have complaints it’s us - we have been on the end of some appalling decisions this season 

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

Burns shirt pull - No different to when Longstaff got tugged back vs Wolves

If any team should have complaints it’s us - we have been on the end of some appalling decisions this season 

We've had our share but I'm sure there was a period after the Liverpool/Isak offside shitshow we got a lot in our favour, not sure we can complain too much. 

52 minutes ago, Paully said:

Ref watch now on Sky Sports - going through all the Arsenal incidents - nowt about us - shock

Don't think I've read/seen a single thing in the media about the fact Arsenal shouldn't have had the free kick that led to their only 'legit' penalty shout.....or our own penalty shout in the same game for that matter. 

Quelle surprise. 

Also nothing about what should have been a second yellow for Xhaka.

The cynic in me think that the hype around the Arsenal "injustice" is a way to get into referee's heads for the rest of the season and give us even less until the end.