Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

No, you need to stop the clock when the game stops.

No we don’t. It’s never ever been a problem in the game until now. Why is that? It’s because the teams at the top now need the games to flow faster. They used to be able to get in front and then kill the game off by slowing it down and the clock worked for them.

The big clubs want it because at the moment they are playing a way where they need it, that could and ultimately will swing again.

The people in charge of football want it because they can fill in the stop time with adverts.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

No we don’t. It’s never ever been a problem in the game until now. Why is that? It’s because the teams at the top now need the games to flow faster. They used to be able to get in front and then kill the game off by slowing it down and the clock worked for them.

The big clubs want it because at the moment they are playing a way where they need it, that could and ultimately will swing again.

The people in charge of football want it because they can fill in the stop time with adverts.

That's an opinion presented as a fact.

Stop the clock when the game stops and you remove as much human error (bias) as possible. 

This new found obsession with scientific time keeping is a bit tiresome. Stopping the clock when ball is out of play will change very little in terms of game flowing, teams will still manufacture stoppages to take a breather and regroup - it might actually be worse if there is reduced urgency to restart play (on account of clock being stopped)

I actually don’t even know what they consider when the total up the extra time. Is there a list of things the ref should include? Very very random if not. 

Taking 10 seconds extra to take throw (for example) just seems a normal thing to me, and therefore doesn’t count. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

8 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

This new found obsession with scientific time keeping is a bit tiresome. Stopping the clock when ball is out of play will change very little in terms of game flowing, teams will still manufacture stoppages to take a breather and regroup - it might actually be worse if there is reduced urgency to restart play (on account of clock being stopped)

What about the mini team-talk/briefings that seem to have started when theres an injury? Saw it against Leeds and Last night, oppositiion taking the opportunity to group most of players on the touchline and go through tactics again.

Seemed to have started after the covid resumption, when water breaks were intorduced, but some teams creeping them back in.

25 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

That's an opinion presented as a fact.

Stop the clock when the game stops and you remove as much human error (bias) as possible. 

All you’ll get is teams who are defending just spraying the ball sideways instead. It won’t improve the game at all, meanwhile every time the ball goes out of play we’ll stop for longer so that Gatorade can sponsor the timeout.

2 hours ago, polkaDot said:

quite enjoyed this opening paragraph in the guardian report on the game.

It seemed fitting that Newcastle’s final active part in this game, deep into stoppage time, should feature Dan Burn wheeling away deep on the left wing, bouncing red shirts out of his orbit, cheered wildly by an away support led by a pink, shirtless quivering man who seemed utterly intoxicated by this spectacle, mainlining it, high on that sweet, sweet Big Dan Burn energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jan/03/a-thrilling-messy-wrestle-dan-burn-was-the-heart-of-this-thing

"Really this was a Dan Burn gig. The night’s least likely headline act was everywhere, that vast muscular Dan Burn head present like an Easter Island monolith in every shot. Here he is again, beating the turf in search of a penalty. There he goes, ploughing back into his own half after a set piece, a footballer who seems always to be hurling himself into an offshore headwind."

"Just past the hour Saka produced a wonderful emergency stop by the touchline, sending Burn careering past him like a caravan caught in a mudslide. But even in that moment Joelinton was lurking faithfully in the edge of shot, the hot dog seller in the background of history."

The atmosphere there is a lot better now. But was still quiet for long spells. But I think both fans were at stages as it was a nervy game towards the end. 

However, they now have a drummer. What the fucking fuck?! Absolute Wigan/Blackburn behaviour. 

Pleased to hear ‘He’s from BLYYYYTTTTHHHH’ get an airing a few times :lol: 

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

It's not a new thing....just picked up more now due to every moment being televised and evaluated.

I seem to recall Shearer taking the ball to the corner in a match (possibly against Liverpool?) when we were winning in the 75th minute and held it for a good three or four minutes before it went out for a throw

Was it not Juventus? I do remember a couple of occasions he did this but one in particular was spectacular in how long he kept the ball in the corner.

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Not looked at any of that data but I've a lot of matches from the 90s where its little different and in fact on one game Richard Keys described the ball as being in play for 61minutes as 'that's good' so can't be much in it.

All that's changed is us.

Gamesmanship has definitely increased greatly since the removal of the 3 foreign player cap was removed (1995) and teams became more diverse in their multi-nationalities. Probably just a big an influence was the increased coverage of foreign football and the influence of the dark arts from far and wide. 

Probably coincides with the outlawing of the hatchet men as the physical art of destroying creativity was replaced with a much varied and harder to punish approach.

2 hours ago, nemtizz said:

Magedia

Love this response though:

90 minutes minimum in play. :lol: that match length would be giving baseball a run for its money ffs. 

EDIT: Hans there way before me

Edited by wormy

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

All you’ll get is teams who are defending just spraying the ball sideways instead. It won’t improve the game at all, meanwhile every time the ball goes out of play we’ll stop for longer so that Gatorade can sponsor the timeout.

Your first sentence hints at the idea that the problem would be solved, albeit in a manner you don't appreciate, another opinion. Your mask has slipped in the second sentence and revealed your argument as 'I don't like American stuff'. Probably pointless to continue.

22 minutes ago, wormy said:

Magedia

Love this response though:

90 minutes minimum in play. :lol: that match length would be giving baseball a run for its money ffs. 

EDIT: Hans there way before me

2x30 minute halves IMO.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Its a foul ON Joelinton if anything, Saka goes down of his own volition whilst Jo played the ball and buckles after because of Saka's contact. Also a yellow for the dive. If were going to be Artetaish about it.

25 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Your first sentence hints at the idea that the problem would be solved, albeit in a manner you don't appreciate, another opinion. Your mask has slipped in the second sentence and revealed your argument as 'I don't like American stuff'. Probably pointless to continue.

It’s not ‘I don’t like American stuff’ but the fact that those in power don’t want the stop clock for the good of the game, but for commercial reasons, and result in the problem arguably worsening.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, Stifler said:

It’s not ‘I don’t like American stuff’ but the fact that those in power don’t want the stop clock for the good of the game, but for commercial reasons.

You're talking about Gatorade and time out's man [emoji38]

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

You're talking about Gatorade and time out's man [emoji38]

The stop clock is inspired by American systems. Do you think that they will simply stop the clock when the ball stops in play and simply restart again, or do you not think that ultimately it will lead to longer stoppages?

Remember they claimed VAR would be virtually instant.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The stop clock is inspired by American systems. Do you think that they will simply stop the clock when the ball stops in play and simply restart again, or do you not think that ultimately it will lead to longer stoppages?

Remember they claimed VAR would be virtually instant.

Yeah