Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

Dust settling and feels like we are now at the main crossroads of the season. Like some have said win on Tuesday and this one is easier to forgive. Lose on Tuesday and a lot of those wanting a weakened team for the FAC might realise what a disappointment it is to go out of the FAC 3rd round with no European games. Yes it allows us focus on the league but with that comes increased pressure on each of them games which can be counterproductive.

As for the squad at the halfway point of the season it clearly needs a midfielder to come in and start most games (rotating/replacing Longstaff) and a forward comfortable for all three positions.

As for the actual selection and performance there’s an argument you play Dubs as seen as better than Darlow and he asked to return against Darlow who stayed faithful and remained throughout but not as competent. Manquillo never lets anyone down but is a different type of RB to Trippier with the latter like to have the game in front of him whereas the former more one for overlapping. Lewis has never stood out since he came but hopefully this long term hip problem is behind him but his chances will be limited now that we are out the FAC. Did ok but other than his mobility looking better he’s still lacking in confidence to take the game by the scruff of its neck with his usual advance 15 yards then pass backwards 10 yards. Would’ve liked to of seen him operate in a less changed side to judge him properly now fit rather than a team playing almost like strangers due to the eight changes. Lascelles looked nervy and it’s noticeable how less assured the back four is with him in it. Should’ve been his type of game also as Sheffield Wednesday played an almost old school two up top which was nice to see in these modern times and shows it still has a place with even Botman tested differently to what he’s been accustomed to. Ritchie was Ritchie. You know what you are going to get and what you aren’t. Would’ve been fine again against this opposition in a team with less changes. Anderson struggled again and apart from one of our very early home games this season (Forest perhaps?) and at a push against ten man Fulham away he’s looked average at best and doesn’t physically look like he has the attributes to make it in his current position. Nice to see Isak start as predicted and only hope he’s as good as people keep telling me. Should’ve scored at least once which changes the whole tie (and possibly season) but again was in an changed forward line.

So a game that ultimately has left many questions left unanswered which is as big a frustration as the result itself. Personally feel EH should’ve started strong and won the game making the changes the other way round. Had a bad feeling about the tie since it was drawn and selected for prime time terrestrial TV. Playing the only team with a longer unbeaten record than ours on their pitch was never going to be easy. My hunch got worse weirdly when Sunderland turned their tie round with two stoppage time goals almost at the same time as it was confirmed ASM wasn’t in the squad which was a massive miss for a game like this.

Fair play to Sheffield Wednesday scoring two nice goals and could’ve had two or three more but it showed with the triple change once we got a grip of the midfield the game with a different team selection could’ve been a completely different story which is the disappointment I’ll feel as the draw is made for next round.

So in short squad depth is sufficient for THIS season but only with minimum changes but (two first team accusations would be great). Eight was too many and arguably regardless of the squad quality too many with any group for a high profile cup tie away from home.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Not that I'm excusing going out to a L1 side, but you have to factor in the unquantifiable element of the underdogs always raising their levels in these situations. It happens so often, so to all intents and purposes it felt like you were more playing a high flying Champ side.

I mean some of your lot were still fucking dreadful like. [emoji38] but just helps to expediate their exits, you'd hope.

I think the Wood miss was the thing that made some of us snap. One thing if he had got that chance on target but it was saved, another to do what he did and sky it out of the stadium. 

Ultimately premier league clubs (as opposed to fans) don’t really value the cups.

As sad as it is, they see them as a nice-to-have rather than a must. They want to progress, but only if the cost is not too high. 

Sadly in that scenario we are currently very ill equipped to do well, because our overall squad depth is so poor. 

I think you have to think long term, and Eddie will have been told that by the owners.

An unexpected FA cup win would do fuck all for us long term. A Europa or even a Champions League spot would be far more advantageous to us -- both of in terms of being able to attract better players, and better commercial deals.

The latter option advances our inevitable progression to consistently challenging for trophies.

Edited by BlazeT44

One thing that was notable last night was Botman passing everything to his right after seeing Lewis’ inability to pass forward or escape trouble every time he had the ball.

Lewis’ confidence looks completely gone, I think he needs a loan to a championship club to improve him and then perhaps a return after that spell? 

6 minutes ago, buzza said:

One thing that was notable last night was Botman passing everything to his right after seeing Lewis’ inability to pass forward or escape trouble every time he had the ball.

Lewis’ confidence looks completely gone, I think he needs a loan to a championship club to improve him and then perhaps a return after that spell? 

Rather he didn’t return at all seen absolutely nowt to suggest he’s a footballer. Looked out of his depth against league 1 players and like Murphy appears to have the heart of a pea.

Lewis was a reasonable punt on a young talent, loan him out or sell him if any offers, hopefully can rebuild his confidence and his career but very unlikely to be here to be honest

Edited by Tiresias

3 hours ago, buzza said:

Lewis,Murphy, and Anderson were dire last night. It was their chance to show they were worthy of being in the team and they royally showed that they werent

It's maybes a generational thing, but to a lot of us middle-aged/older folk the FA Cup is important. By all means mess about with the League Cup team if you must, but we should be giving ourselves the best shot we can at the FA Cup. Especially this season. For the last f**k knows how long I've been told by "sensible" people that the Cup must be sacrificed because being in the Premier League at the end of the season is the most important thing. I'm sure if we so get European football in future the same people will be telling me we have to throw the FA Cup for that reason.

No relegation worries this season, only the league and a quarter final in a cup that Man City always win anyway. By all meand use frimge players, just not 7 at once. It pisses me off that we didn't play a stronger team.

The major winners of both cups over the last 20 years or so have predominantly won the league or been in the top4/6 and have played European football. I hate the notion that being out of any tournament is a good idea to preserve league status or to maintain league form/keep players fresh etc., any club worth its salt and any fan should want their team to go as far and try win everything they enter, no matter how unrealistic and I want my NUFC to be that club, which I think we will in time.  

2 minutes ago, King HTT III said:

The major winners of both cups over the last 20 years or so have predominantly won the league or been in the top4/6 and have played European football. I hate the notion that being out of any tournament is a good idea to preserve league status or to maintain league form/keep players fresh etc., any club worth its salt and any fan should want their team to go as far and try win everything they enter, no matter how unrealistic and I want my NUFC to be that club, which I think we will in time.  

Also worth noting that Cup winners qualify for Europe regardless of league position.

By biggest takeaway from yesterday is still just Chris Wood, fuck sake man!

Would've liked to progress obviously, but we are really going to struggle on 3 fronts this season based on the squad fillers.

The league cup is a good shot for us at a cup and I'm willing to go full ham for that now, even at the detriment to a league position or two.

Still fuming about this. Hate the view we can't be in 2 knock outs and the league. Fact is we have some real shite in the squad. I think we should have started strong and subbed after 2-0 up, which if Wilson was playing would have been about 15 minutes in

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Rather he didn’t return at all seen absolutely nowt to suggest he’s a footballer. Looked out of his depth against league 1 players and like Murphy appears to have the heart of a pea.

Same. The Premier League is not his level, the level that we want to be at is not his level.

53 minutes ago, NE27 said:

By biggest takeaway from yesterday is still just Chris Wood, fuck sake man!

Would've liked to progress obviously, but we are really going to struggle on 3 fronts this season based on the squad fillers.

The league cup is a good shot for us at a cup and I'm willing to go full ham for that now, even at the detriment to a league position or two.

Biggest takeaway for me is how Anderson just doesn’t look the talent we hope he will be. Useless last night.

Had we been out of the LC I would be angry at the team selection.

Sitting 3rd with a high intensity style, no depth and LC QF to come - i'm not mad at team or result.

More concerned about making quality signings and keeping players fit. 2 new starters in of quality and we'll be a lasting problem for the top 4.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Sitting 3rd with a high intensity style, no depth and LC QF to come - i'm not mad at team or result.

More concerned about making quality signings and keeping players fit. 2 new starters in of quality and we'll be a lasting problem for the top 4.

I agree. I'm also concerned and I mentioned it a few times we are not scoring goals, at all. 

I think it was very unfortunate timing. 2 games a week since boxing day, a very tough game on Tuesday v Arsenal and a huge opportunity next week to make a semi final. Eddie was right to make changes for the game against a League 1 side and I think anyone else would have done the same. I maybe would have put Wilson on the bench if only for the least 15 minutes but I think most people were satisfied with the team he put out before kick off.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Had we been out of the LC he wouldn’t have made that team selection.