League Cup Semi Final: Southampton (a)/(h) on Tuesday 24th/31st January at 8pm (Sky)

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My seat for '98 was right next to the tunnel - the bloke behind me got Stuart Pearce's top when he chucked it into the crowd.  It also meant a big zoom in of my sunburnt face was on the backpage of the Journal on the Monday.

My dad was in a similar seat in '96 (mine was closer to the halfway line) - he managed to get his programme signed by Warren Barton.  Which pretty much summed the day up tbh.

Aye mine was in 96 and 98. Tunnel was on my left. Think i was about 3 rows from the front in 98, awful view. In 99 I was more in the corner but in the upper tier which was much better and in 2000 I was towards tne back of the lower section which was ok. Just totally rubbish memories of the place though.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye mine was in 96 and 98. Tunnel was on my left. Think i was about 3 rows from the front in 98, awful view. In 99 I was more in the corner but in the upper tier which was much better and in 2000 I was towards tne back of the lower section which was ok. Just totally rubbish memories of the place though.

'96 I was pretty much bang on the halfway line, halfway up (opposite the steps).  Pretty much the perfect seat to watch us get thumped off Man Utd.  '00 was opposite side, but about halfway around the stand at the back.  There was a big group of us with tickets together that day; I ended up under a pile on a few rows from my seat when Lee equalised.

Yep, my memories are mainly shite of the place tbh.  Drinking expensive cans outside the Torch near Wembley Way before watching us lose four times in almost successive seasons meant that the excitement of it all disappeared - there was a grim inevitability about '99, which was the competitive game where we really did just roll over and have our bellies tickled (I won't count '96).  Wembley was exciting to get to - the first time I went the coach came in from a cracking angle, with the Twin Towers visible for ages before getting there - but once there the experience was remarkably shite

14 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Feel your pain (brotha!) at least you’ve/we’ve seen us score at Wembley (once…). 

I went to all those plus England Scotland in Euro 96. So apart from those four defeats, I got to see two geordies score in a 2-0 win…but I’m a Scotland fan :doh:

2 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I went to all those plus England Scotland in Euro 96. So apart from those four defeats, I got to see two geordies score in a 2-0 win…but I’m a Scotland fan :doh:

Ye’ll get nee sympathy from me bonny lad ?(… little sliver of jealousy for the Shearer and Gascoigne Geordie  double though!). 

Away first leg is the best thing about it. Couldn't have hoped for a better draw. Southampton can be really good like so one can never underestimate them. Howe will have us as ready as possible.

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Whens the dates for the semis announces? And I presume it's Tuesday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Wednesday?

You would have thought so. In which case we’ll almost certainly be Tuesday/Tuesday 

They're still a team who are effectively 4 points adrift of safety. An away Quarter Final would be awkward possibly and even over two legs it's not a given, but getting the bottom team in the league over two games with the second leg at home is surely as perfect as we could have hoped for after the Quarter Final draw apart from Charlton beating Man U.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Haven't been able to sleep most the night panicking about not being able to get a final ticket 

I know we're not there yet and need to calm the fuck down, but it's just so exciting man. I've got 8 points on my ST and have been to all the home ties and will go Southampton home so I would hope that puts me in fairly decent steady however they do it but still

Thankfully we know Eddie will make sure the staff and players haven't shit the bed like me and a few of us thinking we're already there, still a job to do but what a chance we have.

Just now, NUFCDoog said:

Haven't been able to sleep most the night panicking about not being able to get a final ticket 

I know we're not there yet and need to calm the fuck down, but it's just so exciting man. I've got 8 points on my ST and have been to all the home ties and will go Southampton home so I would hope that puts me in fairly decent steady however they do it but still

Thankfully we know Eddie will make sure the staff and players haven't shit the bed like me and a few of us thinking we're already there, still a job to do but what a chance we have.

8 points will be plenty in the event of getting there ?

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

You'll be more than fine

54 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They're still a team who are effectively 4 points adrift of safety. An away Quarter Final would be awkward possibly and even over two legs it's not a given, but getting the bottom team in the league over two games with the second leg at home is surely as perfect as we could have hoped for after the Quarter Final draw apart from Charlton beating Man U.

I agree. And in the past, when we've got to the latter stages of Cup competitions, the pressure has got to the players and we haven't performed. I don't think that'll happen this time. Eddie is great at sending his teams out with the right mindset.

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Baldwards reminding us they complacency, negligence and arrogance are a dangerous enemy. Ironic.

I hate it when people refer to themselves on the third person; especially journalists!!

If we win vs Southampton away do we stick with our tradition of a post match celebratory photo?

I think there are a few reasons we shouldn’t, mostly that Jones would be likely to stick that image on the wall.

It's just hit me that my granda who is a season ticket holder is 86 or something and probs won't want to go to Wembley if we get there. 

The final is on my birthday and I'm in London so hoping to God now that a) we get to the final and b) I can get a ticket. Probs need to fight it out with my brothers mind :lol:

2 minutes ago, James said:

If we win vs Southampton away do we stick with our tradition of a post match celebratory photo?

I think there are a few reasons we shouldn’t, mostly that Jones would be likely to stick that image on the wall.

Depends on the score . If its a close 1-0 win then no..  if we put 5 past them then carry on.