Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Just now, madras said:

And if the right player at the right deal had been available I've no doubt they'd have strengthened elsewhere.

When he signed I always saw him as a squad player until the summer with adaptability to player right across the line.

Far too early to judge him imo.

We need to be very careful with such an approach, it’s led the Liverpool’s demise. 

Also, I’m more judging the transfer than the player himself, as I’ve stressed I really hope he comes good but it’s fine margins. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

We need to be very careful with such an approach, it’s led the Liverpool’s demise. 

Also, I’m more judging the transfer than the player himself, as I’ve stressed I really hope he comes good but it’s fine margins. 

I wouldn't say it's particularly Liverpools approach.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Not sure they will tbh. They did anything but v City and it was just a bank of players on the edge of the box. Saying that having Maxi as an impact sub to come on against tired legs would also be handy.

Do or die this weekend though isn't it? And we're not as feared as City would've been, where they'd have been chasing shadows anyway.

My gut feel, is that they will come out swinging particuarly bouyed by their crowd, and full of Allardyce's 4-4-fucking-2 ness.

Gordon hasn't produced the kind of performance I was expecting, but as others have pointed out, he doesn't get the kind of support from Burn that Murphy / Miggy gets from Trippier. We'll see what happens when that's sorted.

6 hours ago, Cronky said:

Gordon hasn't produced the kind of performance I was expecting, but as others have pointed out, he doesn't get the kind of support from Burn that Murphy / Miggy gets from Trippier. We'll see what happens when that's sorted.

Hey! You said a mean thing about Dan Burn!

Saw @Skeletor make a fair point about Gordon in another thread the other day, saying he was expecting him to be a Bellamy type "our bastard", but he's been nothing of the sort. Know I'm repeating myself but to me he really does feel like he's playing in environmentally friendly mode since he's got here. I believe that's a product of him trying hard to fit in and make a good impression by not making mistakes - on and off the pitch - but in reality the sooner he gains the confidence stamp his authority on situations the better.

3 hours ago, 80 said:

Hey! You said a mean thing about Dan Burn!

Saw @Skeletor make a fair point about Gordon in another thread the other day, saying he was expecting him to be a Bellamy type "our bastard", but he's been nothing of the sort. Know I'm repeating myself but to me he really does feel like he's playing in environmentally friendly mode since he's got here. I believe that's a product of him trying hard to fit in and make a good impression by not making mistakes - on and off the pitch - but in reality the sooner he gains the confidence stamp his authority on situations the better.

Dan Burn has been great for the team, but I think it's significant that we're getting linked with so many left backs. It's our priority position. He looks very clumsy going forward now, and vulnerable in defence.

Gordon does look a bit short of confidence, and perhaps is trying too hard as a result. He's still very young, and he's having to get used to a new team and environment. Let's wait and see.

19 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Dan Burn has been great for the team, but I think it's significant that we're getting linked with so many left backs. It's our priority position. He looks very clumsy going forward now, and vulnerable in defence.

Gordon does look a bit short of confidence, and perhaps is trying too hard as a result. He's still very young, and he's having to get used to a new team and environment. Let's wait and see.

I know, I was just kidding about Dan Burn's defence force turning up whenever he gets some innocuous criticism :thup:

Edited by 80

He’s definitely got the feel of “har har what a waste of money” player who in a year under Howe becomes a “should he be in the Euros squad?” player.

Yes we’ve paid a lot of money for him but we’ve paid for his potential. He needs a fair bit of refining, but fortunately we’ve got one of the best around to do that. 

Worst case scenario we flog him to West Ham for £25m in a couple of years.

On 11/05/2023 at 09:10, Cronky said:

Played his best football for us to date on the left against Southampton, and faded away when swapped sides with Murphy, didn't he?

Edited by Conjo

1 hour ago, OCK said:

Top of the Flops. 

Way too early to say that.  He's shown glimpses that there might be a player there.  Gotta give Eddie time.

A bit of a silly signing in all honesty. We over paid for a player we didn't need right now, when no one was wanting him and his club facing relegation. I think we get him for nearer £30m in the summer, and we wouldn't have missed anything he's had to offer this season. However he's here now and gets my full support. Going from what we've seen from Howe so far, he'll get a tune out of him in the next 18 months and become the player we paid for. Needs that moment though, could quite easily happen today off the bench and get his goal or assist we've been waiting for. Would do him the world of good getting off the mark.

Edited by Dokko

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

A bit of a silly signing in all honesty. We over paid for a player we didn't need right now, when no one was wanting him and his club facing relegation. I think we get him for nearer £30m in the summer, and we wouldn't have missed anything he's had to offer this season. However he's here now and gets my full support. Going from what we've seen from Howe so far, he'll get a tune out of him in the next 18 months and become the player we paid for.

But by the time the summer comes he will have had 6 months to settle, get familiar with the team and the coaching staff, he'll know what it is that Howe requires from him in terms of fitness.

The club perhaps preferred to get that done now so he hits the ground running for next season.

Can’t really judge him without a full preseason under this coaching team. He’s gone to a brand new environment with a team that plays a completely different style. We obviously overpaid for him, but this always happens with transfers from one Premier League to another 

5 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

But by the time the summer comes he will have had 6 months to settle, get familiar with the team and the coaching staff, he'll know what it is that Howe requires from him in terms of fitness.

The club perhaps preferred to get that done now so he hits the ground running for next season.

Not worth paying 50% over the odds though. With FFP, we can't make too many mistakes or overpay for convenience. The playing field isn't level.

22 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Not worth paying 50% over the odds though. With FFP, we can't make too many mistakes or overpay for convenience. The playing field isn't level.

Its just an assumption we would have gotten him for less though 

33 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Its just an assumption we would have gotten him for less though 

It's a fair one. It's just an assumption he's going to benefit from being here 6 more months, both are as likely.