Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Had a feeling he would start today. Hoped he take the game by the scruff of the neck. Unfortunately we were overrun. Hopefully gets another chance to start against Spurs at home and judge him then.

I’ve seen a lot of critical comments of him yesterday. I thought his play on the wing was poor but I thought some of his running and central work was really decent. Got no concerns about him at all, confident he’ll turn into a really good player for us 

Gordon is still blending in and yesterday wasn't a game to judge him on unless all players come under the same scrutiny because all players contributed to a very forgettable game from Newcastle United's point of view.

No biggie. He did ok and worked hard so I'm not worried one iota about Gordon.

12 minutes ago, magvicar said:

Gordon is still blending in and yesterday wasn't a game to judge him on unless all players come under the same scrutiny because all players contributed to a very forgettable game from Newcastle United's point of view.

No biggie. He did ok and worked hard so I'm not worried one iota about Gordon.

He was shit yesterday. As were most of the team - the others have all earned the right to have an off day for their performances throughout the season however.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

He was shit yesterday. As were most of the team - the others have all earned the right to have an off day for their performances throughout the season however.

I thought he was ok. nothing special but then again nobody was.

Gordon has played very few games for us and started even fewer.

Just like Viper said to Jester when Maverick lost the edge. Viper said " keep sending him up." [emoji38]

Howe will say " keep sending him on."

Soon enough Tindall will be shouting " Gordon's re-engaging, Eddie ."

On the pitch Gordon will be shouting " I'm going to bring him in closer then I'm gonna put on the accelerator and fly right by." Yeeharrrrr.

Back at the dugout the info will come through. " Boss the remaining Tottenham players are bugging out." Yeeeeeeharrrrrrrrrrrr. [emoji38]

I'm the same place I was when we signed him. I still don't rate him particularly highly based on what I've seen, but hope and somewhat trust the people at the club knew what they were doing.

The other £30m+ players we've signed have been game-changing and it's probably not fair to expect that of Gordon yet. I'm still trying to work out what he's especially good at though, too often he just plays the safe ball imo. I do like his workrate off the ball. 

1 hour ago, magvicar said:

I thought he was ok. nothing special but then again nobody was.

Gordon has played very few games for us and started even fewer.

Just like Viper said to Jester when Maverick lost the edge. Viper said " keep sending him up." [emoji38]

Howe will say " keep sending him on."

Soon enough Tindall will be shouting " Gordon's re-engaging, Eddie ."

On the pitch Gordon will be shouting " I'm going to bring him in closer then I'm gonna put on the accelerator and fly right by." Yeeharrrrr.

Back at the dugout the info will come through. " Boss the remaining Tottenham players are bugging out." Yeeeeeeharrrrrrrrrrrr. [emoji38]

Maxi has to be maverick 

Launch maxi on alert 5. Once he's fucking fit like 

40M for a player that needs time and patience. That kind of money should have been spent on a guaranteed starter.

I don't dislike him and I reckon he'll end up being decent enough, but the amount we paid at a vital club building phase will look worse over time. 

Edited by Weezertron

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

40M for a player that needs time and patience. That kind of money should have been spent on a guaranteed starter.

I don't dislike him and I reckon he'll end up being decent enough, but the amount we paid at a vital club building time will look worse over time. 

Hard to disagree with this. Hopefully he proves us wrong. For the immediate quality we could have brought in for £40m he does have a lot to do to justify the money. 

The only things he’s done since signing for us, that through ball for Wilson in his debut.

And two tackles, then giving it to a midfielder (Bruno) which then led to a goal.

It’s still early days but like posted above, say we make top 4, we will spend.

Who has him in the starting 11 then?

The elephant in the room isn't his ability to be a squad player, it’s his price tag.

Long term the concern is that he seems to be best as a counter attacking player with space to run into. We're already seeing teams come to SJP and sitting back. I don't see that he has the technical skillset to be that useful in these games. Similar to ASM.

People are missing the importance of getting good English players. We cannot keep buying foreign players because we're going to be in Europe hopefully regularly from now on and there's squad rules. Same for PL registration actually.

We've paid an English premium for Gordon, to get a player who will be good enough to take us forward and be part of our English quotient for some time. We need at least 8 UK-grown players long-term, ideally 4 of them home-grown at the club. Burn, Trippier, Dummett, Ritchie and Wilson won't count long-term because they're are the wrong end of their careers (Plus a couple aren't good enough even now).

So we're left with Anderson, Willock, Murphy, Longstaff, Gordon and even though he's 30, Pope. That's only 6, including Gordon, and there's a couple in that 6 who you'd want to see upgraded or improve too. So after that we're looking at people like Lewis, Shortstaff and Lascelles to make up the other positions. We need Gordon, and other players like him who are clearly PL quality and can improve lots still even if he's not at present and maybe never will be (Though I hope he is) a world beater. He doesn't have to do what Bruno has done for the team to justify a £40m price tag, because we bought him for a very different reason.

Edited by Chris_R