Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Watched the match this morn and he looks full of ideas at the moment. Love that he got 20 mins up front during the second half and Isak switched out. Those in-match rotations (which are actually natural rather than forced) could really help us if we can keep the majority relatively fit.

2 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Where do people see Gordon playing this season. I think given his choice he'd probably prefer to play on the left, but I imagine Barnes will at least start the season there. In for Almiron on the right maybe?

I think I’d start him on the right and see if he can nail down the position for himself. He’s not going to be on the left and he’s probably not ready for an attacking midfield role even though I think he’ll slip into that role at times off the wing 

Just now, gbandit said:

I think I’d start him on the right and see if he can nail down the position for himself. He’s not going to be on the left and he’s probably not ready for an attacking midfield role even though I think he’ll slip into that role at times off the wing 

His best attribute seems to be cutting in from

the left and playing a pass though? 

Just now, tgarve said:

His best attribute seems to be cutting in from

the left and playing a pass though? 

Barnes is an out and out winger, and Willock has been quality on the left hand side and bombing it down to the penalty area in seconds. I think Gordon’s game is very balanced. Fairly sure he’s got it in him to play both wings well and in the long-term I could see him playing a roaming role. Did he not play more on the right for Everton than on the left?

Is it a fair comment to say that Anthony Gordon and Joe Willock are quite similar in what they bring to the team? Direct running, goal threat, laying on assists, breaking from midfield etc. 

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not a huge number of games at the early stage of someone’s career but difficult to say what the plans are him for at this point I’d say

AC60D8D3-95B2-4317-9A57-E58D6F5E321D.png

Yeah true . Think he’s capable both sides 

Think a lot of people will have egg on their face with regards to Gordon. He looks very handy now he’s up and running 

3 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Yeah true . Think he’s capable both sides 

Think a lot of people will have egg on their face with regards to Gordon. He looks very handy now he’s up and running 

The general consensus appeared to be that whilst he started slowly at Newcastle he always looked like he had potential, and people now expect him to somewhat fulfill that potential based on his (rapid) progression over pre-season.

Cover me from head to toe in eggs if he helps us win something.

Some people make it sound as if there were plenty on here who said that he will never make it, ever. From what I remember it wasn’t quite like that. Looks promising so far this preseason and hopefully he can deliver this season. 

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Is it a fair comment to say that Anthony Gordon and Joe Willock are quite similar in what they bring to the team? Direct running, goal threat, laying on assists, breaking from midfield etc. 

If everyone buys into rotation you can see them all fitting in to a style of play.. so no drop off on pace or commitment  when we have to bring the subs on.

Think this is becoming a bigger issue with 5 subs as we can now use it as a team strength rather than a weakness.

"They want a quick game... Let's give them a quick game!"

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Some people make it sound as if there were plenty on here who said that he will never make it, ever. From what I remember it wasn’t quite like that. Looks promising so far this preseason and hopefully he can deliver this season. 

You'd think he had already had the best season of a newcastle player in the last 20 years the way some are going on

He's still got a lot to prove.

I'm certain Gordon will start the season. It will be Barnes who will have to break into the side.

If you are Gordon, Barnes, Miggy or Murphy, you can't afford a dip in form but it's a brilliant situation for Howe that he can bring a player in to rejuvenate our attack.

Great problems to have.

Strength in depth has arrived, in that department at least.

Its a cop out but the amount of games, the amount of subs, starting doesn't mean all that much now, a matter of who gets the lion share of the game this game/week.

Never doubted this fella at all. Ever. Always knew he'd be a winner. I remember saying at the time when I first recognised the talent in Lionel Messi, I turned to me mate and I said, this Messi fella is good, but you know who else will be good... Anthony Gordon of Newcastle United. Mark my wards, Trev.

Bipolar N-O at its best. :lol:

From a flop and only mistake in the transfer market to player of the season and full international during one off-season. :lol:

Edited by Pata

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Certainly plenty questioning the price we paid and/or why we bought him at all.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Bipolar N-O at its best. :lol:

From a flop and only mistake in the transfer market to player of the season and full international during one pre-season. :lol:

Just wait until he misses a chance against Villa. 

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Certainly plenty questioning the price we paid and/or why we bought him at all.

The price was the main issue. £45m tends to get you fairly close to elite level and he’s nowhere near that level yet