Anthony Gordon

Jack27

12 hours ago, Nine said:

Just read it and was about to post same.

Great read and that is some mindset he has, the dedication of a winner is there for all to see.

For a little while, however, it looked as if Tottenham were Newcastle’s main rivals. Director of football Fabio Paratici, noticing Gordon’s defiance in a 5-0 loss at Spurs in March, later described the winger in transfer discussions as his “favourite player in the Premier League”. Antonio Conte was also a fan, with multiple discussions taking place between both clubs and Gordon’s representatives.

Ultimately, however, the choice came down to the winger. Gordon was won over by Newcastle’s trajectory — his admiration for Howe, the style being played, and the club’s rapid improvements — and was earmarked by recruitment staff as a priority target.

-----

In Georgia, staff members were impressed with the extent to which Gordon had matured since his early days in the international setup. Reflecting his importance to the squad, Lee Carsley trusted him with a crucial tactical brief — a false nine role which did not come naturally. The tournament, however, was a blinding success — securing two goals and an assist, the tip of England’s spear as they won the tournament.

Most encouraging of all was the development of two areas of his game — link-up play and finishing — which playing through the middle forced him to develop. UEFA awarded him player of the tournament, joining a list of luminaries such as Petr Cech, Fabio Cannavaro, Luis Figo, Andrea Pirlo. Goal one — complete.

“I’ve always said he can play left, he can play right, he can link, he can play 10,” says Unsworth. “He can actually play in the midfield three. But when he develops physically, upper-body wise, when he becomes a real mature man, I think he’ll actually end up as a striker if I’m being honest with you because he’s got everything and he’s good in the air as well.”

He pauses, before adding: “You know, the thing with Anthony, he’s a very intelligent footballer both on and off the pitch. I found that quite endearing to be honest. He would always ask the question ‘Why?’.

1 hour ago, Lish007 said:

Great article. Really like AG, a lot of people, not just footballers, could learn a thing or two about his mentality!

It’s crazy that many had the complete opposite view of his mentality when he joined. He’s really matured here. 

3 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

Everton supporting friend from work thinks he is over rated 

:yao:

Gordon has destroyed my opinion of Everton fans. The fact they don’t rate him shows they don’t have a fucking clue. I don’t even think it’s bitterness, just total idiots en masse 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This lad’s on another level these days. No flaws to his game really. So dangerous and a brilliant outlet constantly 

He's been playing for an entire year as well. Him with a better midfield and some time off is terrifying.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

7 goals and 5 assists in 20 Premier League appearances this season. He's such a proper player.

Those numbers on top of all the work rate and defensive contribution.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff.

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Gordon has destroyed my opinion of Everton fans. The fact they don’t rate him shows they don’t have a fucking clue. I don’t even think it’s bitterness, just total idiots en masse 

I didn't have much of an opinon of them in the first place tbh.

13 minutes ago, Mountain said:

People were complaining about the fee last year, he's sublime. Bargain.

Loved the signing, that it wasn’t the smoothest beginning, but now he’s flying and easily worth double what we paid. 

We aren't even seeing the real Anthony Gordon, he's been flogged like a horse this season because of injuries. Not that he's complained like, he's just stayed upbeat and got on with it. What a great signing he's been.

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

7 goals and 5 assists in 20 Premier League appearances this season. He's such a proper player.

And if he didn't play a bunch of those games on empty those numbers would arguably be better

He's not had the luxury of being able to sit out a game or two

2 hours ago, George Bailey said:

Everton supporting friend from work thinks he is over rated 

:yao:

Is he football friends with sunderland fans?

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Is he football friends with sunderland fans?

Tbf the Sunderland lot were pretty complimentary of him last week on RTG. I opened their Anthony Gordon thread expecting them to be giving him both barrels so I was pretty disappointed to read how good they said he was.