Anthony Gordon

Jack27

26 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Gordon’s demeanor, and how he speaks is very akin to an elite American athlete. It’s no surprise he follows a ton of American sport (watch or read his interviews). It’s a self belief and hunger. He may not have had the James Milner media training, or the carefree Cole Palmer style; he’s indeed a different human being. Rather then pigeon hole every young British athlete just celebrate the individuality. You don’t want humans not being themselves, particularly one who is literally only cutting down the former manager who slighted him and benched him after the entire European press / British press wondered why he wasn’t starting and asked about it every single week. 

Bang on

How dare Anthony Gordon look up to world class athletes who have self belief. 

Honestly what I find so great about AG is that he answers each question; but actually it was the post match interview where he just looked bloody happy. 

Edited by Kanji

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

How dare Anthony Gordon look up to world class athletes who have self belief. 

Honestly what I find so great about AG is that he answers each question; but actually it was the post match interview where he just looked bloody happy. 

Yea he seems the type that would take offense at all the faux-sensibility - love it personally

1 hour ago, Dan Gleebals said:

He starting tonight or what? Hope so.  More minutes into his legs.  Fancy him for a goal tonight.

First senior goal at Wembley would be nice! Searched for a ‘nice’ gif but he might even chuck a trick in before so this seems better… 

Spoiler

IMG_9342.gif.985f2bf83a9fb779a709600978246617.gif

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

He did look good. Final product aside. But he was terrorising that full back. A good F you to Gareth. 

However we haven't really seen any of that in black and white so far this season, so let's hope this is the final game sharpness he needed in order to start his season properly now. 

15 hours ago, Nine said:

Almost to sharp [emoji38] Howe might be cringing seeing those fitness %’s tick away 

England isn't sitting deep like we have been at times, and they weren't facing great teams either. I think all our attacking players has suffered from the fact that we haven't been dominating large parts of any game so far. The conditions have been far from ideal.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Really hope he can be as productive as he is on the RW as he is on the left. Will be needing him and Barnes on the field together if we're to push for Europe

alternate them during matches.

Lengthier version of that interview up on the app. Decent watch but think there's plenty to read between the lines on Gordon's views about our and his ambitions. No real surprise.

6 hours ago, 80 said:

Lengthier version of that interview up on the app. Decent watch but think there's plenty to read between the lines on Gordon's views about our and his ambitions. No real surprise.

Can’t find it on app or website. Might be me, but it’s not the most intuitive design. 

Gordon can have whatever elite mentality he wants but he himself has to put in elite effort. So far this season he's been a mile off it.

He also talks about the team not pressing well, I've watched him multiple times not track back or look like he's at jogging pace. He wants to be careful that he doesn't build a rod for his own back.

I'm not saying that he's lazy or that I don't love him as a footballer, just he's been here 18 months, the first 6 were shite and now it's as if he's too good for us (not necessarily his words, just the vibe).

1 hour ago, STM said:

Gordon can have whatever elite mentality he wants but he himself has to put in elite effort. So far this season he's been a mile off it.

He also talks about the team not pressing well, I've watched him multiple times not track back or look like he's at jogging pace. He wants to be careful that he doesn't build a rod for his own back.

I'm not saying that he's lazy or that I don't love him as a footballer, just he's been here 18 months, the first 6 were shite and now it's as if he's too good for us (not necessarily his words, just the vibe).

I don't think he thinks he's too good for us like, think that's a bit unfair to say. He's into his third consecutive season without any real sustained break and felt the let down of the England tournament after arguably his best ever season. I think you'll see a different Gordon today.

Agree with the rest though, Gordon was jogging back versus Southampton I believe and Joelinton literally went tearing past him from about 20 yards behind him. Similar happened versus Bournemouth too.

Edited by Heron

Anthony Gordon told to ‘maximise every moment’ by Newcastle boss Eddie Howe

The 23-year-old started both of England’s Nations League games.

IMG_3929.thumb.jpeg.6ac9e40afbf67a6b783adf1600e220f4.jpeg

Eddie Howe has urged Newcastle forward Anthony Gordon to “maximise every moment” after announcing himself in earnest as a senior England international.

The 23-year-old started and played significant parts in both of his country’s Nations League victories over the Republic of Ireland and Finland under interim boss Lee Carsley, having been cast largely in the role of spectator in Gareth Southgate’s squad at the Euro 2024 finals.

Gordon, a £45million signing from Everton in January 2023, was a huge hit on Tyneside last season, but returned from Germany having featured for only a few minutes as a substitute in a 0-0 Group C draw with Slovenia.

Asked if he had had to raise the player’s spirits on his return, Magpies head coach Howe said: “I wouldn’t say to raise his spirits, but of course I spoke with him and we had many conversations over the summer.

“I think it’s re-aligning thought processes, it’s being positive about the next stage of your career.

“Sometimes you can have a hangover from something negative – not that Anthony was in that position, but it’s always about your next challenge, moment and how you’re going to start the season and take all of the momentum that he built last season into this one.

“This is a big season for him in his career. You don’t get many second chances in your career – the years go so quickly, and I can vouch for that.

“He’s still young and developing, but he needs to maximise every moment. He is the type of character that wants to do that. He’s very committed to his next dream and aim and that’s to have a great season with us.”

Gordon has eased his way into the new domestic season and while his endeavour or commitment could never be questioned, he is yet to return fully to the club form which propelled him into the England squad, something he will hope to do at Wolves on Sunday.

Striker Alexander Isak is another whose full sharpness had eluded him during the early weeks of the campaign, but his winning goal against Tottenham last time out sent him away with Sweden on a high, and he returned having scored twice in a 3-1 win in Azerbaijan and once in a 3-0 victory over Estonia.

Asked if the £63million frontman was now arguably his most important player, Howe said: “He’s one of (them), for sure.

We need to get him absolutely at his best because when he is, he's a game-changer

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe

“I don’t think there is just one, I think there’s always a group that are really important to the team and when they play well, the team plays better.

“Alex is certainly one of those players, he has all the qualities that we need. But ultimately we need to get him absolutely at his best because when he is, he’s a game-changer.”

1 hour ago, STM said:

Don't totally disagree, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've thought he's looked like he did when he first came here and - somewhat unbeknownst to us - was way off the pace fitness wise.

Not making speculative runs he ordinarily would, not tracking back as much to conserve energy etc. And I think he detests knowing he's not up to scratch which helps make him give off an attitude.

This recent England call up plus increased fitness will hopefully have him back to himself in the next couple of weeks. Stability at the board level would probably contribute too...