Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Brighton fan here. 

A huge part of that U21 success is down to the work Dan Ashworth did when he was at the FA. I don't know if you think he's making a difference right now at your club but it'll be crystal clear in 5 to 10 years and for a long time after he's left.  He's the best at what he does. There's not a sporting director at any club, anywhere in the world that comes close.  I'm so glad that we had him at Brighton even for a short time. 

19 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Just found this on Gordon from November 2018

Its begining to look like a master stroke by Dan Ashworth. And  now player of the tournament.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6419869/Borussia-Dortmund-set-sights-17-year-old-Everton-starlet.html

It's stuff like this that encouraged me to just stand back and let the club make it's judgement when it went for Gordon. Serious people with serious football chops have rated him for a long time, like Ancelloti and Benitez. He's had a disrupted development partly because his first club became a basket case, but if someone like Howe is positively beaming about working with him, then I say have at it.

1 hour ago, StevenSeagull said:

Brighton fan here. 

A huge part of that U21 success is down to the work Dan Ashworth did when he was at the FA. I don't know if you think he's making a difference right now at your club but it'll be crystal clear in 5 to 10 years and for a long time after he's left.  He's the best at what he does. There's not a sporting director at any club, anywhere in the world that comes close.  I'm so glad that we had him at Brighton even for a short time. 

Why do you think he’s so good? Isn’t your success down largely to the way your club collects and uses data?

1 hour ago, StevenSeagull said:

Brighton fan here. 

Great name by the way ;D

2 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Why do you think he’s so good? Isn’t your success down largely to the way your club collects and uses data?

Yes and no. It definitely gives us an edge and we were using it long before Ashworth came on board but it was still hit and miss because we were relying too much on stats and not enough on the things that can't be put on a graph (player attitude, background, influences, motivation, even drinking habits). Ashworth built a much more sophisticated system that had the data at the start of a much longer process. Our success rate since we started using his system has improved dramatically.

He also changed the way our U21 and youth teams were being developed. They're now coached to play the same style of football as the 1st team and we've now got many more youngsters breaking through. 

6 hours ago, StevenSeagull said:

Talking of serious chops, kudos to the bloke who now cuts Gordon's hair. It was really starting to annoy me

You’re in for a rough time with that username if you join a sunderland forum. 

I feel oddly protective of him, I'm not sure why. Possibly because he's got work to do before he reaches any potential, partly because he gets quite a bit of stick, perhaps it's because he's been disowned by his boyhood club or the fact he's not the best looking lad in the world.

I just really, really want him to succeed.

I hope he accepts that he's part of a squad and that there will be highs and lows for him. Just keep working with Eddie and bide your time.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

Forward.

But often drifting wide to the left on the counter attack and providing the assist square. Many more could have been converted with better finishing, which is why he got player of the tournament despite only two goals and one assist. Bodes well for him as a wide forward with Isak / Wilson in the middle. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

I feel oddly protective of him, I'm not sure why. Possibly because he's got work to do before he reaches any potential, partly because he gets quite a bit of stick, perhaps it's because he's been disowned by his boyhood club or the fact he's not the best looking lad in the world.

I just really, really want him to succeed.

I hope he accepts that he's part of a squad and that there will be highs and lows for him. Just keep working with Eddie and bide your time.

Yeah lots of people seem to have formed an opinion based on Everton where he broke through at 20. When things are absolutely toxic at a club the young local players become a lightening rod for criticism. He’s had a ridiculous amount of pressure on his shoulders. 

I’ve always said they threw him to the wolves that game where the board didn’t attend and his car got mobbed. I’d have no interest in playing for the club after that, local lad or otherwise. 

He’s a bit of an annoying shithouse, but he’s our annoying shit house.