Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Need to do something with the corner kicks. We have plenty of them 

Yeah our corners were rank. Kept hitting our men but they did nothing with them. Just need people steaming in for thumping headers, stop trying to be clever.

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Don’t think it’s anything more than most teams playing a low block and we’re not being clinical with chances and when our wide players do get space either they’re not releasing the ball quick enough or they’re not being given options to release it quick enough 

Pretty much it. Teams are happy to settle for a draw against us now which gives us way less space to work in behind in. That said our final ball wasn’t as good today but it’d be OTT to go mad about it.

We’re not getting the opportunity to hit teams on the counter attack as much. We’re getting more possession but struggling to unpick defences.

It’s something we need to work on, we need to learn different ways to win games. 

We didn’t really cause Palace that many problems.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Stopping us scoring and creating clearly cut chances is working us out in terms of our attacking play. Obviously this may change with the introduction of ASM and Isak in the starting line up.

That's where i make you right, we could have probably done with a bit of freshening up, ASM for Miggy maybe two games ago, along those lines.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Pata said:

XG was ~0.65, 3-0 would be so generous.

Not really arsed what XG says, I saw three really good chances we could have scored from. :lol:

Just now, mikejaxer said:

With all the talk about how if players play and train well, they'll get into the team. I don't know how Wilson is still in the starting eleven, it's clear he hasn't been the same since he caught COVID and Isak scored last week.

Literally set up the winning goal for a tap in last week lol.   

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Surprised Isak is the one being singled out for poor finishing like

Just back from a long term injury, scored in his last game and looking sharp.

I really scratch my head sometimes and what people post in here.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Surprised Isak is the one being singled out for poor finishing like

Not just tonight, he's sent clear headers straight at the keeper a few games in a row now. Looks a yard short too when balls come in.

Tbf, he's probably a bit rusty after being out for a while.

Edited by DoricGinola

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

B8F8BEA2-3C52-42B5-BC48-21C10B79051C.thumb.jpeg.5136521c4ad9b6bf0faf5891484de8e9.jpeg

Didn’t think we were great and none of our big hitters were anywhere near their best (Trippier, Bruno, Wilson), but we still dominated and deserved to win. Frustrating as fuck.

Mad that mind. Didn’t feel like that to me albeit their big chance probably clouds the mind more than our pea rollers and cushioned headers. Loads of “passive possession” (Wenger, 2015) killed us repeatedly though. Something which you’d hope will change when we become more accustomed to playing against teams set up to deny rather than attack.

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

Just back from a long term injury, scored in his last game and looking sharp.

I really scratch my head sometimes and what people post in here.

Tbf I could've scored that last week.

Agree, he's probably just a bit off the pace

Every position we finish above 8th is a colossal achievement for me with this squad.  There’s half a season to play and people are panicking re top four status - I’d recommend not worrying at all about that unless we’re top four with a handful of games to go.  The squad is shallow and some of these lads have been coached to play well beyond their normal capabilities.  As far as I’m concerned, we’re one point from safety with 18 games to play.  Next target is 50, which pretty much guarantees a top half finish.   

One thing we do know, Eddie will be annoyed with that game. It doesn't matter what he says in a minute, he'll be working on us being better in front of goal and with the final pass already in his head.

Edited by Bimpy474

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, IzzyIsak said:

What a fucking save from Pope that was, brilliant.

I'm starting to calm down, it's not a terrible result tbh.

Unbelievable save.

Frustrating but can’t be arsed with any negativity.  Since the restart we’ve blew Leicester away twice, beaten one of the form sides in the country and got a clean sheet away to the champions elect.  Leeds game and tonight we’re annoying but we’re 3rd and we have a manager who will analyse the shit out of this to improve us.  Nice little break from the league now let’s just get to wembo