Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

For the Isak header, he starts making a run towards the front stick. If Trippier hits a cross in on the deck first time he has an even better chance. But Trippier waited and Isak was probably right under the ball when the cross actually came in. Can't get any power on that.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not really, it’s to be expected tbh, he wasn’t going to keep scoring worldies.

Said it earlier, his downturn has almost exactly aligned with Trippier’s. They probably both need a rest but that’s unlikely at the moment 

Need to be balanced when judging the current state of play.

We’ve gone off the boil for sure and it won’t have gone unnoticed by the manager.. when he says they’re waiting to review and reflect on where the squad are I think he probably is thinking of current players form as well.

Like for example, I don’t think he would have started the season thinking Almiron would have played such a big part so I’m sure there’s a plan there for an alternative line up.

We need to freshen things up for sure though.

Guest reefatoon
14 minutes ago, High Five o said:

See a lot of posts about us being found out etc.

But let's talk about our finishing for a minute.

All straight at the keeper today.

Score 1, and the we will thrive.

Exactly right. That wasn’t us being found out. We had a number of clear cut chances that we didn’t capitalise on. We are just having a bit of a sticky patch in front of goal in the last few games. We will get it sorted.

17 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

Teams are now delighted with a home point against us.

Great times are coming for NUFC.

Still doesn’t sit right with me when viera said “a point against a team going for champions league football is always a good point”.

Talking some getting used to

20 minutes ago, High Five o said:

See a lot of posts about us being found out etc.

But let's talk about our finishing for a minute.

All straight at the keeper today.

Score 1, and the we will thrive.

The only thing teams have found out is that we’re class and they need to concede territory and the ball in order to shut up shop. Their approach means that they’re kept to a long range effort or two each match with the hope of maybe getting free late on in the second half for a proper chance 

20 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Both felt like half chances, Isak hadn’t been on long enough and joe had zero conviction.

The Joelinton one is a great chance for me, right infront of goal under no challenge, just put it in the far corner, he scuffs nearly every shot, yet he plays great apart from his shooting, it's crazy.

5 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

May as well play short ones all the time. May have a better chance because we don’t have much going on from them.

Wilson second goal v Villa.

Think it was from a corner anyway.

I know you can't keep doing the same short routine either like but fuck me, mix it up a bit.

Some overreactions in here I think. 15 unbeaten, league cup semi final to come and 10 days left of the transfer window where I’m sure we’ll strengthen. Decent point today I thought all things considered. 

Just now, Ronson333 said:

Looking at the Palace forum, they appear to be very impressed by us. Say they haven’t been dominated like that at home by many teams and we were FAR better than they were expecting. 

Yet our lot are saying we were shite. Frustrating that we didn’t score, but we did control the game and had enough moments to create something better than we did 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

The only thing teams have found out is that we’re class and they need to concede territory and the ball in order to shut up shop. Their approach means that they’re kept to a long range effort or two each match with the hope of maybe getting free late on in the second half for a proper chance 

Indeed.

And this is a new challenge for us and something Howe and the lads need to work out.

We need to be much more clinical and resolute, that is (almost) all mentality.

3 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Looking at the Palace forum, they appear to be very impressed by us. Say they haven’t been dominated like that at home by many teams and we were FAR better than they were expecting. 

I get the feeling fans of other teams think we are in a false position until we play them, then they get it.

I found it a weird performance. We were ‘on top’ and had loads of possession in the stats, but we were also a bit sloppy and gave the ball away a lot.

Very different mindset to be a team that is on top, and the question is how many we can score. Takes a bit of getting used to. 

Maybe we were trying to force it at times and we were struggled with the expectations to win. Dunno. 

Just now, Ronson333 said:

I know people expect more now. But I watched the first 20 mins and actually said to my lad, wow, we are coming into peoples back yards and playing them off the pitch. 

We were hitting around 30% possession not long ago. I am more than happy with our effort, fitness and performance now. 

Wont be long before we are doing the old Arsenal and walking the ball into the net.

European spot is beyond my wildest expectations this season. 

I am worried I won’t be able to handle a defeat now I am so used to not losing.

I can only assume Joe’s finishing is absolutely lethal in training. If not he needs an extra 30 mins every day practicing, he hits a pass far truer than he ever shoots.

We also need to work on our heading generally and particularly in the opposition box. We’re a big side and our attacking heading is woeful.

We’re getting to a position where fine margins will determine our progress. We’re no longer getting as much space to hit teams on the counter and the Bruno/ Almiron/ Tripps combination is well known by now.

Let’s see what we come up with. A couple of good signings could make a huge difference to our ability to change things up. If I was Eddie I’d be knocking doors down to get a couple of new faces in.

Edited by Tsunami

21 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Still doesn’t sit right with me when viera said “a point against a team going for champions league football is always a good point”.

Talking some getting used to

It’s a beautiful thing to have to get used to. This is real life! :indi:

We're third in the league over the half way point with a mid table first team and a championship at best bench. Not even the most deluded of us thought we would be here at this stage of this season.

Don't panic folks.