Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

Pretty poor game with neither team having enough quality when it mattered on the final ball but not to be down about it as it’s always the same against this lot, they’ll always bite your hand for a 0-0 and they defend well deep nearly always.

Another point gained for us and loads of others drew today so it’s nowt loose either. 

16 months ago we lose this, now we’re about to play in a cup semi sitting in European places. It’s still mind bending. 

B8F8BEA2-3C52-42B5-BC48-21C10B79051C.thumb.jpeg.5136521c4ad9b6bf0faf5891484de8e9.jpeg

Didn’t think we were great and none of our big hitters were anywhere near their best (Trippier, Bruno, Wilson), but we still dominated and deserved to win. Frustrating as fuck.

Massive missed opportunity with Man U dropping points last game, spurs getting beat then Brighton Liverpool and Chelsea just drawing.

palace had the best chance and that’s worrying because by God they’re bad.

i agree with JFH that if we want to stay where we are then we need to find a way to steer through these type of games because it’s gonna happen more as every team below us sees teams getting something for playing like this.

We're so solid at the back but because teams know how good we are there going to sit back a lot against us and we packed any way to unlock them. We always seem to want one too many touches and for all our play and chances I don't think (m)any of them were what I'd call clear cut chances that I thought we should put away.

So we need creative reinforcements, and to get the creative players we have (ASM, Isak) on the pitch from the start 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Ronaldo said:

Need to rethink the front 3. Not working for a while now due to lack of creativity and Wilson looking like a nonentity up there.

I feel Wilson was busting a gut prior to the World Cup to get in the squad and has come back and took his foot off the pedal. Not quite the same player post World Cup.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Been shite since the Leeds game. Not sure if we're out of steam or teams have figured us out. 

Don’t think it’s anything more than most teams playing a low block and we’re not being clinical with chances and when our wide players do get space either they’re not releasing the ball quick enough or they’re not being given options to release it quick enough 

Frustrating.

Not surprised though based on the starting line up, we're lacking a bit of invention at the moment. Would've been nice to see Isak and Wilson on together, ideally from the start, as we need a bit of a shake up.

Just now, joeyt said:

Ball didn't fall to the right people

Disappointing how we didn't really threaten from corners again despite having absolutely loads

Teams don't score from corners very often.  It is something like 1 every 12.  But it feels like we haven't scored in 120 corners. 

We need to find a way to fit Isak and Wilson both in because Isak is too good to be on the bench, especially on a day like today when all we needed was a goal. Same could be said about getting ASM back into the side. Far too good to be bench warming for 70 minutes. 

Was in enough positions to score today, Wilson alone with a fair solid chances that should have had at least one converted

I feel the amount of 0-0s indicates that certain teams have figured our game plan and with a decent enough performance can stop us from scoring, that is in addition to the fact our finishing needs work as seen this month.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Have they shite, poor final ball and poor finishing, especially with the headers cost us. No one has worked us out, just nonsense over reactions every time we don't win.

Leeds, Fulham and now Palace all set up the same against us and we have scored once in those games. 

I fear we’ve hit a ceiling now.

Owing to our position in the league, teams now sit deep against us and we don’t have the players to unlock the door.

Unless we buy a player/players who can do that, goals will continue to dry up.

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Almiron has reverted back to his old self. Quiet for the last few games imo

Totally agree, he has been an average since the World Cup break. We definitely need some freshening up on the wings.

Edited by reefatoon