Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

These games are gonna be harder now and provide a different challenge second half of the season. First half season teams were probably thinking "it's only Newcastle" when they came up against us. Now more and more teams are going to defend deep. 

Which means we will dominate more and more as we did tonight, but we are going to need to find better ways to unlock defenses.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

He’s right though. We are in a bit of a false position and that’s all credit to the job Howe has done.

I think it was more him trying to sell Botman to "clubs with more pedigree" in his words. 

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone else worried about Almiron reverting to type?

No, like I said in the last post, he wasn't getting as much support as he usually does from Trippier who obviously had been detailed to stop Zaha first and not bomb on as much as he usually would.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

JFH is also correct - we need to find way past these games by having better finishing.

Totally agree. That’s the limitation of some of the players.  They aren’t clinical enough in front of goal.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

He’s right though. We are in a bit of a false position and that’s all credit to the job Howe has done.

Just a needless comment though. We're obviously going to be signing players above our current station to get to the next level. Likewise when Man City signed Yaya and Silva - they'd never finished in the top 4 in recent memory, well before the PL era, in theory shouldn't have been attracting players of that calibre, but were clearly a team on the up and going places, so seemed normal.

25 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Almiron has reverted back to his old self. Quiet for the last few games imo

Almiron is far from the old one. He plays smart with trippier and they are making crosses into the box and creating. Its just that nobody is lucky enough in the box to finish it off. 

Also Almirons first touch has upgraded big time. 

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

Just a needless comment though. We're obviously going to be signing players above our current station to get to the next level. Likewise when Man City signed Yaya and Silva - they'd never finished in the top 4 in recent memory, well before the PL era, in theory shouldn't have been attracting players of that calibre, but were clearly a team on the up and going places, so seemed normal.

That’s why it’s time for maybe PIF to look to see if they can jump 2 years on the roadmap.  Do we regress and possibly finish 5th/6th (which would have been thought to be an unbelievable achievement at the start of the season) or do we put some decent money in and grab fourth when it’s there in front of us?

Dyer and Hasselbaink are both absolutely thick as fuck. 

"You've got to win here if you're going to get top four"

We've just watched Man U draw here, City drew here last year and won the fucking league. Pair of utter divvies.

1 minute ago, High Five o said:

See a lot of post about us being found out etc.

But let's talk about our finishing for a minute.

All straight at the keeper today.

Score 1, and the we will thrive.

Joelinton and Isak both could/should have scored

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Don't think it's Miggy necessarily coming to the end of a purple patch, more that he wasn't getting as much support from Trippier who had to keep Zaha quiet. Which tbf he did.

By purple patch I mean he’s gone from scoring worldies every game to not scoring. He’s getting closed down a lot quicker, which should leave space elsewhere but I just don’t think we’ve got the guile and creativity to exploit it at the moment. 
Our inability to score from corners despite towering over most teams leaves us pretty short of ideas at the moment 

After the initial deflation of a result like this, it's nice to remember we're barely a year removed from from being an even shitter Palace.

I think the last couple of weeks just go to show that while I love our team, there is still a lot of upgrading to do to successfully dispatch teams now that they're setting themselves up for a bumming, even on their own turf. I'm glad it's Eddie's decision on who to replace next and not mine.