[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

5 hours ago, dorty said:

I wasn't overly impressed with mankies today, they got the job done but leeds wasted some decent chances. I hope HM starts the final 

Not a chance. :lol: we rested players today and have a few injuries. There will likely be 5-7 changes from the team today for the final. 

The problem is they are in better form but most of all, seem like they will have a fully fit squad bar Eriksen to choose from.

Where as we look absolutely shagged and players are starting to drop like flies. 

Was really hoping we could go toe to toe with them and be at our absolute best but unfortunately it's looking like really bad timing for us at the moment. :(

4 minutes ago, alexf said:

The problem is they are in better form but most of all, seem like they will have a fully fit squad bar Eriksen to choose from.

Where as we look absolutely shagged and players are starting to drop like flies. 

Was really hoping we could go toe to toe with them and be at our absolute best but unfortunately it's looking like really bad timing for us at the moment. :(

Them playing a big European game 3 days before works in our favour though surely. 

I hope so. But I think we would need a Rashford injury to make me feel confident. 

Even with adequate time between each game at the moment we are looking really leggy. 

I'm just hoping we flip a switch on the day and everyone is flying like they were early in the season. It's possible with the adrenaline of a final, but may wear off quickly. Also injuries are a worry, not sure what the latest on Willock, I think he's important for this game.

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

I hope so. But I think we would need a Rashford injury to make me feel confident. 

Even with adequate time between each game at the moment we are looking really leggy. 

I'm just hoping we flip a switch on the day and everyone is flying like they were early in the season. It's possible with the adrenaline of a final, but may wear off quickly. Also injuries are a worry, not sure what the latest on Willock, I think he's important for this game.

Think Willock will be a certainty to miss it sadly, going by Howe’s comments.

Hopefully we come flying out. Delighted Bruno is back. 

24 minutes ago, alexf said:

Chronicles saying hamstring

I mean it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Murphy or even Anderson could start this final if we pick up anymore knocks in the Liverpool game. 

Anything can happen but I'm feeling pessimistic. 

However I do think if we do lose we might see it have a galvanising impact on our league form and the boys might use it as extra motivation to finish in the top 4. 

Would you start Maxi if Willock is out? 

I think I would, obviously Gordon is out, Murphy is better tracking back but that's about It. Anderson just isn't ready yet. 

Maxi seems to turn up in bigger games like against Man City and thrives off the occasion. 

Just now, Scotty66 said:

Would you start Maxi if Willock is out? 

I think I would, obviously Gordon is out, Murphy is better tracking back but that's about It. Anderson just isn't ready yet. 

Maxi seems to turn up in bigger games like against Man City and thrives off the occasion. 

I would 100% start Maxi.

If he's fit and Willock is out then we have no choice, he has to start and I think I said few weeks ago, have a sneaky feeling he's the type that would pull out his best performance in a final. 

However he'd be up against Wan Bissaka, who may not be the best going forward but is possibly the best 1v1 defender in the league. So will be a tall ask whoever plays on the left, but if it's a choice between ASM and Murphy then ASM.

I think people are looking/fearing a bit much.

If you look at Man Utd’s recent games they haven’t played massively well. They have been conceding at the back, and even a poorly performing Leeds team were able to go to Old Trafford, and take a 2 goal lead before throwing the game away.

Ok we do not look our best right now, but Man Utd look beatable as well.

As I’ve said, they will have played 4 times between our game this weekend and the Cup Final, compared to our 1 game. They will also play 2 times between our Liverpool game and the final.

They will be and always were going to be favourites, but we have probably just as much of a chance as they do.

Aside from their arrogance, I doubt many on their side would be massively relishing playing us either.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, Stifler said:

I think people are looking/fearing a bit much.

If you look at Man Utd’s recent games they haven’t played massively well. They have been conceding at the back, and even a poorly performing Leeds team were able to go to Old Trafford, and take a 2 goal lead before throwing the game away.

Ok we do not look our best right now, but Man Utd look beatable as well.

As I’ve said, they will have played 4 times between our game this weekend and the Cup Final, compared to our 1 game. They will also play 2 times between our Liverpool game and the final.

They will be an always we’re going to be favourites, but we have probably just as much of a chance as they do.

Aside from their arrogance, I doubt many on their side would be massively relishing playing us either.

I watched them today and they looked confident and sharp. They were playing Leeds who are not top competition but they scare me for sure.

29 minutes ago, McDog said:

I watched them today and they looked confident and sharp. They were playing Leeds who are not top competition but they scare me for sure.

Until they scored their first goal in the 80th minute, Leeds looked by far the more threatening team

Just now, et tu brute said:

Until they scored their first goal in the 80th minute, Leeds looked by far the more threatening team

Didn't look that way to me. I for sure enjoyed the game but I disagree who looked better. You did say more threating so that's fine.  

4 hours ago, McDog said:

Must have watched a different game to me because I thought they were incredibly sloppy, kept on giving the ball away but were lucky that Leeds didn't take advantage