[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Strangely enough I feel more relaxed about the final now than I did, this time, yesterday. 

I was stressed tf 5pm onwards then regained my pragmatism after the 30 minute debical. 

They're "in form" (mostly Rashford obvs). 

We're not. Still creating chances tho so always capable. 

The keeper thing is woeful but Karius, has to be, can only rise to the occasion ?

Absolutely over the moon I'm in Bansko to watch it so I can avoid the misery if we lose......again.

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Weirdly this .

Expectations were through the roof, now we are all thinking the worst. Go and enjoy it , you never know.

Yesterday should be a major warning for Howe and the coaches. Manyoo are nothing but a counter attacking team again as they were under Solksjaer, but with Rashford in this form they're very good at it indeed.

I think they'll be looking to exploit our press and go over/between the two CBs at every opportunity. We need to plan for that somehow.

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

This argument is starting to wear a little IMO. We were wide open defensively today and in the previous 2 games conceded soft goals from corners.

If we’re ”wide open” in the final, then that’s the problem, regardless of GK

12 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

I know zero about Karius apart from that he hasn’t played for ages, has he looked decent in the past?

He was class until the Champions League final, but it's a bit like saying Ayrton Senna was class until San Marino.

Playing on the counter might not be the worst strategy for us. Suits Maxi, suits Isak and prevents them countering us.

We aren't in a position to go toe to toe with them but also don't under estimate Brunos impact on our side.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Playing on the counter might not be the worst strategy for us. Suits Maxi, suits Isak and prevents them countering us.

We aren't in a position to go toe to toe with them but also don't under estimate Brunos impact on our side.

Interesting to see if he plays Jow on the left and brings Joe back in to the middle. Maxi brings a lot to the side when he plays like yesterday but there’s no getting away from the fact we’ve looked far more vulnerable in recent weeks.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Entirely untrue. :lol:

Aye, sadly you’re a very competent side all of a sudden. Casemiro has transformed you, along with Rashford’s goal scoring form. I know you love Fernandes too and he’s clearly absolute quality despite being a total nobhead. You’re going in as clear favourites now that Pope is out but I reckon the match will be played at a really fast tempo and hang on the quality of finishing on the day 

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye, sadly you’re a very competent side all of a sudden. Casemiro has transformed you, along with Rashford’s goal scoring form. I know you love Fernandes too and he’s clearly absolute quality despite being a total nobhead. You’re going in as clear favourites now that Pope is out but I reckon the match will be played at a really fast tempo and hang on the quality of finishing on the day 

'All of a sudden' - they added £220m worth of players to what was already one of the most expensive squads in the world. :lol:

3rd and beating us next week should be the absolute minimum for them.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

'All of a sudden' - they added £220m worth of players to what was already one of the most expensive squads in the world. :lol:

3rd and beating us next week should be the absolute minimum for them.

Well, the ‘all of a sudden’ comment was in reference to the fact that they’ve spent an absolute fortune and still been utter shit for several years. It’s only since Ten Hag came in that they’ve looked like a side with an identity

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Well, the ‘all of a sudden’ comment was in reference to the fact that they’ve spent an absolute fortune and still been utter shit for several years. It’s only since Ten Hag came in that they’ve looked like a side with an identity

Not to mention a lot of the big money signings and big wage players have been let go or dropped. 

Ronaldo, Pogba, Maguire, Mata, Lingard, Cavani, Matic, Telles, Bailly etc. 

It's a new look side. What we have spent in the past is largely irrelevant to our performance this season. So I would agree with you that it is quite sudden. ETH has had a much bigger impact than expected. 

Don't realistically expect us to win to be honest.  Taking this as a free hit, with no pressure on, which is helping with the nerves.

We can't forgot that we are way ahead of schedule with the team.  If we do lose, it doesn't diminish the tremendous progress we have made on and off the pitch. 

Winning would make for an utterly amazing day mind.  

I suffer with serious anxiety and it's issues I have been trying to control for the last 12 months. I turned the game off after the red card yesterday as I tend to focus on certain things and work myself up about them. I've woken up this morning and just thought "who cares just enjoy the occasion". Bruno back will play a massive part goal keepers are more interchangeable than outfield players we could have had a bigger player sent off and miss the game Botman, schar, burn trippier, longstaff, Bruno, almiron, isak, Wilson would all be a bigger miss than pope.

I know Eddie has an identity and will want to play his way....but sometimes you have to play the team that are Infront of you. 

Liverpool are and were rapid upfront so simply putting the ball over the top of our defenders worked 3 times in the first 20 mins and ripped us apart. 

Man U are a little more reliant on just one pace merchant but he's in exceptional form and they will attempt to do the same thing. 

I really would prefer us to drop a little deeper and then use Isak/Wilson, ASM, Almiron and possibly Willock to hit them on the counter ourselves. 

Otherwise I do really fear that they will just sit and be hard to beat and then pick us off with Rashford on the counter.

Edited by alexf

Really unsure what way ETH is going to go at right back. On the one hand if you go with ASM then AWB is the best choice by far, otherwise Dalot is 100x better going forward and will help to pressure Burn. 

Actually think that decision by Howe/ETH is where this game will be won. I'm no coach but I think overloading our right hand side is key. If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be desperate for ASM to start this game. 

Edited by Froggy

8 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Seems targett has played and scored in a B team full match. So he will be back i expect

Back in to start the final? I'd doubt it myself but definitely think he'd improve our chances. 

Just think Howe would realise how Burn would be very deflated by missing out. 

It's a big call.

I didn't think we had much of a chance before we played on Saturday......now, I think we are rank outsiders.

As someone else said, it sort of takes the pressure off a bit...for fans, and who knows, the players.

Backs to the wall and all that?