[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Apologies for the full question but anyone with a concession ticket - does it actually show this on the ticket ? - I’ve been sent one for my dad but it doesn’t say concession or have the correct price that I can see - just wanting to check if I can give it to someone else (younger) if he can’t make it… thanks 

4 minutes ago, DL7777 said:

Apologies for the full question but anyone with a concession ticket - does it actually show this on the ticket ? - I’ve been sent one for my dad but it doesn’t say concession or have the correct price that I can see - just wanting to check if I can give it to someone else (younger) if he can’t make it… thanks 

Someone mentioned further back in the thread that there’s had a ‘C’ handwritten on. 

5 minutes ago, DL7777 said:

You will be fine. Really wouldn't worry.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Someone mentioned further back in the thread that there’s had a ‘C’ handwritten on. 

My mate was being a wanker and tried to write CUNT on my ticket, Ticket Officer Inspector at Wembley Person. 

Let's talk about 1998 and 1999 finals. A couple of things have struck me, while looking back (I was 10 at the time).

1. Unfortunate that we were managed by Dalglish and Ruud for them games, as opposed to Keegan and Robson who were in charge either side of them.

2. Also unfortunate that we played 2 of the best sides the league has had in Viera/Adams Arsenal and then Treble winning Man United. As opposed to Chelsea, who won it in 1997 and 2000.

Can anyone recall expectations before those finals? It feels looking back as Newcastle were very much the underdogs to the champions. We also made some horrific defensive errors in both games. Goalkeeping was all over the place. 

I mean we had Laurent Chavet playing.

Can't help but feel that we are much better equipped, certainly defensively.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Let's talk about 1998 and 1999 finals. A couple of things have struck me, while looking back (I was 10 at the time).

1. Unfortunate that we were managed by Dalglish and Ruud for them games, as opposed to Keegan and Robson who were in charge either side of them.

2. Also unfortunate that we played 2 of the best sides the league has had in Viera/Adams Arsenal and then Treble winning Man United. As opposed to Chelsea, who won it in 1997 and 2000.

Can anyone recall expectations before those finals? It feels looking back as Newcastle were very much the underdogs to the champions. We also made some horrific defensive errors in both games. Goalkeeping was all over the place. 

I wasn’t expecting anything other than defeat.  A win in either would have been a massive upset.  Hope rather than expectation was the order of the day for anyone other than the most optimistic (being kind there) of our support.

We don’t go into the LC Final as favourites this time either, but there’s a hell of a lot more hope that we can win.  This is a much better side in every way, with a much better manager.  And I can’t imagine the support having to chant ‘attack attack attack’ at the players this time round. 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Was thinking about this while watching Man U at Barcelona before. Yes they're a top side and much improved since early season but no way as good as the one we played in 99 with Schmeichel, Giggs, Scholes and Sheringham to name a few.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Both years it was a case of hoping for an upset, but knowing that this was unlikely. We were unfortunate in that we played the PL Champions in both games. We didn't lay a glove on either of them and they never got out of second gear to beat us.

This game should, in theory, be a lot closer. They are currently better than us in midfield and attack but the margins are a lot closer than they were back then. So while in those days a win was pretty much a fantasy scenario, this time we have a fighting chance.

The hope that Shearer would deliver was running high for the Arsenal final,and he almost delivered. The remainder was a fairly nondescript surrender. There was quite a difference in the atmosphere around the city for the consecutive finals, the Arsenal one was some great carry on in the pubs and on the tube and that, the Man U was quite edgy and a bit toxic from what I can remember

23 minutes ago, STM said:

I remember we were clutching at straws a bit for the second Final with Man Utd having just won the title and having Bayern Munich in midweek. The hope was that was the one Ferguson would go all out for since that was the trophy that was eluding him, but we didn't lay a glove. I didn't think we stood a chance in 98, Arsenal were class.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

Is there a big drinky thing on that Saturday in Trafalgar Square or anywhere else? Debating if I should go to the QPR/Blackburn match or just get drunk with a bunch of Newcastle fans.

Should have plenty time for both tbh

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

My memory before the games is that we basically had no chance. The opponents were just too good. 

This is how I remember those 2 finals. I was 13 and 14 for those 2 finals and remember not expecting us to win either.

I’m more worried about them sticking Rashford on Burn out wide than Trippier.

A few weeks ago I was far more confident. Form is everything and ours has been slipping, while they have come right into it after a shocking start to the season.

The Liverpool game at the weekend is still massively important, I think a win there would do the confidence wonders.

Ten Haag is showing himself to be an excellent coach at this level. Don’t forget, most of this squad was absolute turd last season.