[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

11 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

Is there a big drinky thing on that Saturday in Trafalgar Square or anywhere else? Debating if I should go to the QPR/Blackburn match or just get drunk with a bunch of Newcastle fans.

Fuck QPR/Blackburn be more entertainment around the bars of KX and Covent Garden Saturday afternoon.

We need Barcelona to put these through the wringer next week.

We’re in relatively wretched form at the minute but Bruno being back will be a massive plus.

Edited by Sima

Yeah our wretched form unbeaten in 18 league games. It's so awful at the moment it's unreal ? we have been on runs of draws before and then started run of wins again. We go into a final where we have a real chance compared to previous times

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

The hope that Shearer would deliver was running high for the Arsenal final,and he almost delivered. The remainder was a fairly nondescript surrender. There was quite a difference in the atmosphere around the city for the consecutive finals, the Arsenal one was some great carry on in the pubs and on the tube and that, the Man U was quite edgy and a bit toxic from what I can remember

I was at both but in the 2nd it kicked off too if the bigg market afterwards with people trying to get the police. The police returned with dogs etc . My mate lost his job because he was in the chronicles yobs gallery despite (he claims and I believe him tbf) he was just watching charvas gan aka

2 hours ago, Likelylad said:

My memory is a little vague only being 10/11 but I remember in 98 feeling like we were getting a foot hold in the game and then Shearer rattled the post. Then they scored the 2nd and game over. Could be wrong mind. 

That's fair comment I think. Dabizas had a header that clipped the bar a few minutes before Shearer's shot came back off the inside of the post.

Looking back now I've no doubt that if we had equalised Arsenal would have just been stung into life again and it would have made no difference.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’m more worried about them sticking Rashford on Burn out wide than Trippier.

A few weeks ago I was far more confident. Form is everything and ours has been slipping, while they have come right into it after a shocking start to the season.

The Liverpool game at the weekend is still massively important, I think a win there would do the confidence wonders.

Ten Haag is showing himself to be an excellent coach at this level. Don’t forget, most of this squad was absolute turd last season.

I wouldn’t worry about that, Rashford is shit every single time he plays wide right 

17 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

I was at both but in the 2nd it kicked off too if the bigg market afterwards with people trying to get the police. The police returned with dogs etc . My mate lost his job because he was in the chronicles yobs gallery despite (he claims and I believe him tbf) he was just watching charvas gan aka

Fun fact, at least two sunderland fans from my school were involved in smashing up that phone box and visible on the front of the Ronnie.

Always have a little chuckle to myself when I hear a mackem say "you would never catch us doing things like that."

It seems to me that we have two camps on this: a blindly optimistic camp who's ignoring our numerous draws, recent lack of pressing, lack of intensity and poor passing since the World Cup and a nervy, pessimistic camp (of which I'm currently belonging to) who are convinced of a stark contrast between the pre-World Cup drive of the team where our recent performances seem to show us as either having been found out, too tired or gone off the boil. I'm hoping that something changes this weekend and convinces me that we've just been saving ourselves, but memories of the aftermath of two consecutive heart-breaking FA Cup final losses are eating away at me. I couldn't have gone to the final if I'd wanted to, so have arranged with one of my best mates (who happens to be a Man Utd fan) to go and watch the match in a pub... but as things stand I'm kind of dreading it now, I'm starting to think I'd rather watch it alone where I can just go into hiding if we don't turn up or bottle it.

I should have more faith, I want to have more faith, maybe by the 26th I'll have settled down.

38 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

It seems to me that we have two camps on this: a blindly optimistic camp who's ignoring our numerous draws, recent lack of pressing, lack of intensity and poor passing since the World Cup and a nervy, pessimistic camp (of which I'm currently belonging to) who are convinced of a stark contrast between the pre-World Cup drive of the team where our recent performances seem to show us as either having been found out, too tired or gone off the boil. I'm hoping that something changes this weekend and convinces me that we've just been saving ourselves, but memories of the aftermath of two consecutive heart-breaking FA Cup final losses are eating away at me. I couldn't have gone to the final if I'd wanted to, so have arranged with one of my best mates (who happens to be a Man Utd fan) to go and watch the match in a pub... but as things stand I'm kind of dreading it now, I'm starting to think I'd rather watch it alone where I can just go into hiding if we don't turn up or bottle it.

I should have more faith, I want to have more faith, maybe by the 26th I'll have settled down.

I'm pessimistic purely because the idea of us actually winning something seems so alien to me. Also Rashford is in that form where it seems nailed on he's gonna score the winner. Like you I want to see some positives from the Liverpool game to make me feel more optimistic about the big day.

With the way things are going with us and Rashford with them, its plain and simple. We can't be conceding anymore silly goals as our own scoring ability is very much at the low end right now. Previously, I was always confident that we were able to score from most of our attacks. That has lessened now. Rashford is in the form his life. Our defence needs to be in their ultra strong mode again and hopefully with Bruno back, our attacks are going to be more productive

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not really worried about them. Rashford is the difference between us and he's up against the best defence in Europe this season so we hopefully nullify him.

Casemiro is class but I'd be confident we can match their midfield if Bruno & Joelinton have 8/10 performances. 

Feels like everyone in here is focusing far too much on Rashford. Who does he get the ball from? :lol: The plan from the opposition is and always should be to stop Bruno Fernandes. He's at the heart of nearly every goal we score, and is in double digits for goals himself.

I'm just glad it's Rashford on the end of everything at the minute and not Weghorst. The ball from Bruno last night was absolutely sublime and Weghorst fluffed a glorious chance. Can't believe I'm psyched for Martial to come back again.

10 hours ago, STM said:

Let's talk about 1998 and 1999 finals…

Let’s not.

But since we are, I’d convinced myself we were winning against Arsenal. Phenomenal prematch and we just didn’t turn-up. Was that the “Attack-Attack…” final? I didn’t have the same deluded conviction the year after. 
As you point out we were unfortunate to be playing the best team in the country both years. Then the third semi final in a row (at Wembley this time) we lost to eventual winners Chelsea, who had recently won the FA cup (year before Arsenal). A game which cemented my hatred for Dennis Wise, I’m sure then all was moving when he took free kick for one of the goals (and respect for Zola). At least I got to see us score there. 

Need to have a word with myself. Too anxious about this.

Was ticketless in London in 98. Got a ticket in 99. Awful days.

I hate Manchester United. Losing to them, very awful. Beating them, very beautiful.

I’ve got a ticket. I’m lucky. Enjoy the day. But I hate Manchester United. But beating them. Just imagine. 

I got my club back. We’re in a cup final. 

Stop the anxiety. See the big picture. Enjoy it. Whatever happens. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

29 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Feels like everyone in here is focusing far too much on Rashford. Who does he get the ball from? :lol: The plan from the opposition is and always should be to stop Bruno Fernandes. He's at the heart of nearly every goal we score, and is in double digits for goals himself.

I'm just glad it's Rashford on the end of everything at the minute and not Weghorst. The ball from Bruno last night was absolutely sublime and Weghorst fluffed a glorious chance. Can't believe I'm psyched for Martial to come back again.

You've obviously got good players, but Rashford is the difference. If we had him since Christmas we'd be title contenders.

10 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’m more worried about them sticking Rashford on Burn out wide than Trippier.

A few weeks ago I was far more confident. Form is everything and ours has been slipping, while they have come right into it after a shocking start to the season.

The Liverpool game at the weekend is still massively important, I think a win there would do the confidence wonders.

Ten Haag is showing himself to be an excellent coach at this level. Don’t forget, most of this squad was absolute turd last season.

I agree. In Bruno, Isak, Wilson, Joelinton we’ve got the players to hurt them though. It’ll be a tight game I think, a 2-1 or 3-2