[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

40 minutes ago, huss9 said:

teaching them the right words too.

at least we'll have a generation singing it properly.

I posted on Twitter today that we should get them in the Strawberry Corner because they can sing it properly…and at a good pace :ructions:

13 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

It seems to me that we have two camps on this: a blindly optimistic camp who's ignoring our numerous draws, recent lack of pressing, lack of intensity and poor passing since the World Cup and a nervy, pessimistic camp (of which I'm currently belonging to) who are convinced of a stark contrast between the pre-World Cup drive of the team where our recent performances seem to show us as either having been found out, too tired or gone off the boil. I'm hoping that something changes this weekend and convinces me that we've just been saving ourselves, but memories of the aftermath of two consecutive heart-breaking FA Cup final losses are eating away at me. I couldn't have gone to the final if I'd wanted to, so have arranged with one of my best mates (who happens to be a Man Utd fan) to go and watch the match in a pub... but as things stand I'm kind of dreading it now, I'm starting to think I'd rather watch it alone where I can just go into hiding if we don't turn up or bottle it.

I should have more faith, I want to have more faith, maybe by the 26th I'll have settled down.

I'm definitely in the pessimistic camp at the moment. I can see a similarity with 98/99 in that in both of those years form also dropped off between winning the semi and going to the final whereas our opponents just carried on as normal and had the momentum behind them. It's not as easy as flicking a switch to turn it back on on the day.

On the other hand there is the mitigation that we've been missing Bruno and he will be back. It is also clear that Man Utd will be looking to take the initiative and push on rather than adopting the cautious mentality we've been up against. This means rather than having to break down a compact defence we will get opportunities to counter like we did for example to great effect at Anfield.

All in all I'm looking forward to the day and the weekend, having a good drink in London with my mates and bumping into a few familiar faces I'm sure. In Wembley I'm going to take ot all in, sing/shout my voice box out and hope we win that battle as comprehensively as 2005. As for the game I'm expecting to get beat 3 or 4 nil so that whatever happens I don't end up too downhearted.

36 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

From Howe's press conference, it sounded to me like he was going to try and get Keegan in before the week to talk to the players, without actually naming him.

i fucking hope not 

half of our players werent born when he was our manager

18 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

none of them will feel the same way about him as we do as fans so i just dont see the point

Don’t think you’re giving them, him, or Howe, enough credit tbh

31 minutes ago, SteV said:

Don’t think you’re giving them, him, or Howe, enough credit tbh

He did win the Ballon D’or twice. Played for and managed the club (twice) managed England. Played for Liverpool, Southampton and Hamburg.

We’ve got a squad with a fair few Geordies in, as well as back room staff such as Jones, Dawson etc. Derek Wright only retired last year. I’m pretty sure the players be aware of who he is…

58 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

i fucking hope not 

half of our players werent born when he was our manager

I’m sure he’s on the video that new signings watch (like I recall Gordon doing) when they join the club, to learn about the history etc. But aye, what’s the point, eh? What a daft thing to say. (Especially when he was our manager in 2008 as well…)

Fairly sure that Howe had shown the players clips and stuff from times gone by either last season or earlier this season. They'll know who Keegan is.

I was born in 2000 and have more knowledge (and club shirts and training wear) from the Keegan period than from when I first started going to games in 2006-10.

Edited by HaydnNUFC