Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Think I'm done with football, like. Only hanging around to see it fall down. Just no point in daring to want to succeed.

Whole world is sewn up for the elite.  

Yes it is. Keep banging that drum, but still try to enjoy what life has to offer.

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Didn’t expect it to be this early that we pull up the summer transfer drawbridge. 

Fucking sick of this like.

Just don't be blaming the players, the management or ownership. Blame the Sky 3 redtops and the administrators who are in their pocket. 

We have spent 420 million since January 2022

I remember people saying they didn't just want us to buy success but that seems exactly what a lot want now

We will still probably spend 100 million at the least this summer

2 and a half years is all it has been....

5 minutes ago, jack j said:

I remember people saying they didn't just want us to buy success but that seems exactly what a lot want now

Doesn't mean we can't get pissed off when rules are brought in purely aimed at us and we are in positions where it becomes even more obvious the system is corrupted to maintain if not further strengthen the status quo.

1 hour ago, jack j said:

I get that, but you have to invest substantial amounts of money now to make any inroads whatsoever. £400m is nothing in 2024 when the price of everything has gone crazy. I liken the signing of Tino to when Chelsea signed Glen Johnson all those years ago- £40m versus £5m is the sign of the times.

Giving us free rein would exasperate this, but you have to be able to invest.

Definetly cannot say we havent spent its the position of coming from next to no or limited spend the previous decade. The lack of an academy quality wise has us purely relying on a big cash injections everywhere. 

Then not just limited to us but the caps and limits not being in proportion with the market back in the day it was all set out I am sure 3 to 12 million were your gambles, 20 to 30 million  were your quality build a side around them and 40/50/60 million was reserved for top draw players. It's so massively shifted that your spending 20 to 30m now on the gambles. This isn't reflected on the caps and limits allowed. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Summer overhaul never made any sense anyway. If the key problem is injuries - then we pad out what we have with quality.

Good point to be fair like. Hopefully we upgrade the areas we're weak in though. Right wing/right sided forward, left back, centre back and another forward/striker.

I don't think adding quality in those 4 positions is beyond us.

I wasn’t expecting a major overhaul in the summer. I’m just disappointed that it’s only March and we’re already hearing the murmurings about PSR or whatever it’s called affecting our summer business. 

If the summer window in general (not just for us) is anything resembling the January one, the people in charge of making the rules can get fucked. They’re going to eventually kill the game. 

Edited by Miggys First Goal

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 quality additions

2-3 more on top of Hall and I think we'll look strong. Wouldn't be surprised if one "purple" was sold this summer but confident we'd replace him well.and wouldn't be surprised if they all stayed 1 more year. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 quality additions

We might have to sell one to buy two. The sale of a Bruno or Isak is probably the only way to unlock the sort of funds which make a dent in this market.

It really diminishes the achievements that any of them have coming in an environment where Newcastle, City, Villa are held back from being anything like what they could be.

But it won't be presented like that.

The usual teams finishing above clubs they have financial advantages over that they've now enshrined is true Roy of the Rovers stuff.

31 minutes ago, TRon said:

We might have to sell one to buy two. The sale of a Bruno or Isak is probably the only way to unlock the sort of funds which make a dent in this market.

I don't think that would be the case. If we qualify for Europe I expect we could buy at least 1 player without selling.

Selling Miggy or Wilson is almost pure FFP profiot

We get taken over by a bunch of people that actually want the club to succeed and people are done with football? Not when we had John Carver licking his lips every 3 minutes?

Miggy and Wilson could bring in enough money to leverage another striker and maybe a DMF. I think they need to seriously look at Minteh and see if he cant be developed here at RW.

Edited by OverThere

At what point do we accept that the 'playing nice' approach, as reasoned as it was, simply hasn't worked? 

In hindsight, all it has done is to give them more time to come up with more rules that hinder the investment in the club to threaten the old guard. I can understand the initial 'hey, we're actually ok, we're not going to spunk loads on 30 players, we'll play the game and try and play by the rules bro' shite but it's simply not worked. I don't want to be popular, they all fucking hate us anyway, I don't want to be nice, I want us to be successful and that means we inevitably need to break the rules, challenge them and win. 

Preventing any and all competition to the established 6 clubs needs to be brought down. By hook or by crook. It strangles any competition and challenge to the top and that's got to be unhealthy for the sport in this country. Blocking 86 out of 92 clubs from having a chance at success is no way for a professional sport to operate. It's fucking backward so let's break it open completely  

Theyre taking liberties and adding more rules to suit with our (and others) being reasonable, like their emboldened by it rather than appreciative. So perhaps that being overly reasonable should be revisited. Not least because it's better for the entire game to not have glass ceilings. 

The way we were going about steadily building was inoffensive and we were complimented on it but it still wasn't enough hobbling for some. 

1 hour ago, midds said:

At what point do we accept that the 'playing nice' approach, as reasoned as it was, simply hasn't worked? 

In hindsight, all it has done is to give them more time to come up with more rules that hinder the investment in the club to threaten the old guard. I can understand the initial 'hey, we're actually ok, we're not going to spunk loads on 30 players, we'll play the game and try and play by the rules bro' shite but it's simply not worked. I don't want to be popular, they all fucking hate us anyway, I don't want to be nice, I want us to be successful and that means we inevitably need to break the rules, challenge them and win. 

Preventing any and all competition to the established 6 clubs needs to be brought down. By hook or by crook. It strangles any competition and challenge to the top and that's got to be unhealthy for the sport in this country. Blocking 86 out of 92 clubs from having a chance at success is no way for a professional sport to operate. It's fucking backward so let's break it open completely  

Throw in the CL payments and the whole thing is corrupt - no point in competition 

1 hour ago, madras said:

I wonder if they aren't challenging these things through the courts or even threatening to challenge because they don't think they'll win ?

I think they would certainly have the grounds to go to a Competition Appeals Tribunal. Worth having a listen to this, over an hour long but the discussion is by lawyers who are experts in their field. I know a few on here don’t like Nick De Marco but he knows his shit.

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/podcasts/the-sports-law-podcast/the-sport-and-competition-law-podcast/

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

I think they would certainly have the grounds to go to a Competition Appeals Tribunal. Worth having a listen to this, over an hour long but the discussion is by lawyers who are experts in their field. I know a few on here don’t like Nick De Marco but he knows his shit.

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/podcasts/the-sports-law-podcast/the-sport-and-competition-law-podcast/

I'll ask the obvious question - why haven't they then? 

This has been my position for a while now, with hundreds of millions at stake, now multiple clubs being affected by these rules and yet nobody has even hinted at going down this route. Even Man City are arguing against their charges rather than against the rules the charges are based on.

Apart from FMV haven’t we voted with all these changes ? I would imagine that wouldn’t help us with any legal challenge, which makes me think at this point we have no intention unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Apart from FMV haven’t we voted with all these changes ? I would imagine that wouldn’t help us with any legal challenge, which makes me think at this point we have no intention unfortunately.

We have voted for most of them (from

memory, we didn’t on the initial FMV back in late 2021).  Otherwise, we’ve ticked them off with the other clubs. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We have voted for most of them (from

memory, we didn’t on the initial FMV back in late 2021).  Otherwise, we’ve ticked them off with the other clubs. 

Voting for measures which constrains everyone’s spending is a great way to protect yourself from the downside too.